Beautiful Topping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't wear panties nor am I ignorant to the subject, I never said it was right or wrong, my problem is the countless threads about it where the O/P makes one or two post and then hauls butt....

But it's Ok if people like me are happy to keep contributing....sure the OP has hauled, but in the last half dozen or so topping threads I've seen there is ALWAYS a new crop of members, so maybe they get to see it for the first time, don't know how to use the search function...whatever, don't stress yourself buddy!:biggrinbounce2:

I don't know what you guys are all grousing about.

Around here, we spike them real good while we are topping them. Then the "white eyes" aren't so prominent, and you can tell that it was done by a REAL tree climber instead of some amateur with a ladder!

These guys at lease forgot to bring their spikes. Topping done right would have stripped that tree back to the original knobs, too.

[I'm thinking that snipping those little branches off at the height that was done is so that they will need to be topped again in just a couple of years.]

Ha, love it...If you're gonna top it ya might as well spike it too, and use a ladder and your saw in one hand for good measure, with your ball cap on backwards!:biggrinbounce2:

my problem is the countless threads about it where the O/P makes one or two post and then hauls butt....
There is feature in versions of this software That show a list of similar topics, below,
I would like to see the ones like this get merged, butI know its a daunting task for moderators. everyone is a little premadonna on starting fresh threads, and I had been scolded at other places for grave digging as well.
What we have to remember is our post here are archived for the purpose of reference. and there is always fresh content and noone really ever gets the last word on any subject.
But it's Ok if people like me are happy to keep contributing....sure the OP has hauled, but in last half dozen or so topping threads I've seen there is ALWAYS a new crop of members, so maybe they get to see it for the first time, don't know how to use the search function...whatever, don't stress yourself buddy!:biggrinbounce2:

I liked having the opportunity to share pictures I took with others that might appreciate them in fact lets have another look
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have planted a weeping willow I had left over from our fall festival UFB booth for the express purpose of developing a pollard. I think it will be a quick study with its fast growth habit.

treevet: I have planted a weeping willow I had left over from our fall festival UFB booth for the express purpose of developing a pollard. I think it will be a quick study with its fast growth habit.

If you have the patience it would be very useful to take photographs say monthly over a period of some years and see the pollard heads develop. Nice to do some hands on research albeit on a small scale.

Like Bermie said, it is choose the right species, start early and maintain regularly. Is it Salix babylonica or a sub species?

I have a good friend that is training a Natchez crepe myrtle. He is training using the technique in the photo above. I have helped him with a few decisions, and have to regularly remind him, branches must produce there girth from the food their own leaves produce. Starches and sugars never flow toward the tip of the branch,no matter how you twist of Graft them.
Producing an attractive candelabra structure starts at a young age. It requires several years of conforming to a planned structure as well as adapting to natures whims and growth conditions.

It is possible to reduce a young tree to a pollard but only with the luck of a wide structure and special techniques to disguise large diameter cuts.

I don't consider it a pollard if the main branches are perpendicular to the ground by 45 degrees or more.

Last edited:
Most pro trimmers in Indiana do topping

Almost all trimmers around here top trees hard if not harder than those pictures.
I do not, but serveral companies around here advertise topping to the point most H/O think that is the only professional way to trim.
I remove so many trees that have rotted from hard topping, bothers me to see it done.
You wouldn't beleive how many trees around here have been topped hard.
So much, that I get some H/O afraid to have their trees touched. I don't blame H/O either. H/o should be able to trust a paid professional but so many professionals have really given all of us a bad rep.
I've tried to conviece some of the other trimmers how topping kills the trees and they really get mad and tell me how much longer they been trimming.
Sadly it was done to the trees at my place, just before I bought the place.
One of these trees is actually two different trees type of trees grown together. But now it has so much rot, I'll just have to remove it before it falls on the house.

Almost all trimmers around here top trees hard if not harder than those pictures.
I do not, but serveral companies around here advertise topping to the point most H/O think that is the only professional way to trim.
I remove so many trees that have rotted from hard topping, bothers me to see it done.
You wouldn't beleive how many trees around here have been topped hard.
So much, that I get some H/O afraid to have their trees touched. I don't blame H/O either. H/o should be able to trust a paid professional but so many professionals have really given all of us a bad rep.
I've tried to conviece some of the other trimmers how topping kills the trees and they really get mad and tell me how much longer they been trimming.
Sadly it was done to the trees at my place, just before I bought the place.
One of these trees is actually two different trees type of trees grown together. But now it has so much rot, I'll just have to remove it before it falls on the house.

Oh such a familiar story...I know how you feel!
Welcome to AS...put on your hardhat and join the fun, might have to lower your earmuffs if some of the gang start getting unruly..., but its all good:chainsaw:

southern california

You wouldn't believe the topping that goes on in SoCal. I moved from CT about 18 months ago was pretty shocked at what I saw. There is so much of it that your average customer thinks it is proper pruning practice. Most of the trees I remove are a result of this butchering. Tree companies even advertise it. The pictures on this craigslist ad are UNBELIEVABLE!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/sks/1521094052.html

i worked in south cal 3 winters ago....topping is everywhere...even in the nice neighborhoods...also there is this weird practice called "lacing". i never heard of it anywhere except southern california....i know what layering is...but the "lacing" was lion tailing...most people in califorinia just can't seem to get it.

Not only is his treework sad, but he has the rebar laying on the ground instead of supported a few inches above, in the driveway pictures. Waste of rebar.

Not only is his treework sad, but he has the rebar laying on the ground instead of supported a few inches above, in the driveway pictures. Waste of rebar.

Either rebar supports not yet installed, or in most cases the preferred method is to pull up rebar to center of slab as you pour. Easier to walk on/wheel barrow over etc. Hardscape looks nice, to bad people WANT THAT DONE to their trees. :cry:

Topping is huge in Iowa, most services here are hacks, literally, there are a couple of services here that have Arborist, the rest are ex employees who were fired and started their own, with no regulation in my area, anybody can get a License! I'm trying to change it. They put Topping in their ads!, They make good money too! 1 hack just built a $500,000.00 shop, I cant do that! Sometimes taking the high road is very frustrating when I drive by and see the place!
But still I stay the coarse and preach our gospel to the public. Topping is bad.
I worked for a company in San Diego, they were big into
"lacing", coming from Iowa I never heard of it, they taught me how to do it, "take 2/3rd of the tree, starting from tips and work backwards!"
I quite after about 2 weeks, went to work for Gothic.
Which, Ironically held this guys maintenance contract. I was put in charge of the account! Too bad for him, we found a better guy, who prunes tree's, not lace them!

They put Topping in their ads!, They make good money too! 1 hack just built a $500,000.00 shop, I cant do that! Sometimes taking the high road is very frustrating when I drive by and see the place!

Just remember sgreanbeans, when one of the epi growths on one of his topped tree's fails and hurts someone, he's going to sell his new shop and everything else he owns just to pay the damages. Stick to your guns, do quality work, preach good practices to anyone who will listen and word will eventually get around.
:cheers:

... when one of the epi growths on one of his topped tree's fails and hurts someone, he's going to sell his new shop and everything else he owns just to pay the damages....

That'll never happen. It might fall and hurt someone, but not within any timeframe that would cause the tree trimmer to be liable. Especially for doing what would be "an industry standard practice".

"What's that?", you say; "Not and industry practice!" ?

Drive around the midwest USA, and look around. Granted, there are fewer now than some years back.

i worked in south cal 3 winters ago....topping is everywhere...even in the nice neighborhoods...also there is this weird practice called "lacing". i never heard of it anywhere except southern california....i know what layering is...but the "lacing" was lion tailing...most people in califorinia just can't seem to get it.

Thanks for that, I've seen lacing listed as a service in Fl. and Ca. and couldn't figure out what they were talking about. Even asked here 1 time I think and nobody knew. But why lacing?

I usually never say know. Custumers ask for topping from time to time but 99% of the time when you take a minuete out of there day to let them know a few good reasons that topping can basicly ruin a tree, they get real exited at the sound of a crown reduction. H/Os usualy see the light once you show it to them. In an older part of town around here topping is almost an acceptible practice. If a H/O in the area wants a tree topped I will show them one or refer them to one that has had this done to it many years ago. The results are usualy self explanitory, even to an uneducated H/O. If they insist on a nice topping job, always refuse. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back