Been Giving Wood Away For Years! A Cord Is NOT 128 Cu Ft!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-m...ngFirewood.pdf spells out how firewood is measured and sold:

How is firewood measured?
Firewood may be measured by the cubic foot, the cubic
meter, or the cord. If measured by the foot or meter, the
wood is first stacked with all pieces placed parallel to
each other. The wood is then said to be ranked. Wood
must be ranked if it is to be measured accurately. Ranking
minimizes the space between the sticks, or pieces, of
wood. Some sellers use various cross-stacking methods to
exaggerate the quantity of wood delivered. Do not
attempt to measure cross-stacked wood.
What is a cord?
A cord has a specific legal definition in Minnesota:
• One cord is 128 cubic feet in four foot lengths.
• If the wood is sawed, a cord is 110 cubic feet when
ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown loosely into a
truck.
• If the wood is sawed and split, a cord is 120 cubic feet
when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown loosely
into a truck.

Dang, I have been giving wood away! Everyone, and I mean everyone thinks a cord is a stack of split wood that is 4ft by 4ft by 8ft. It apparently isn't! It is 120 cubic feet when split!

Wonder if anyone else caught that? Problem is, how do ya get people to realize this? It has been ingrained in to our heads for years that a cord is 4x4x8.

Not enough to make a difference you say? Well, multiply 8 cu ft by 108 cords sold last year and see how much money I lost! 7.2 cords is over 1400 bucks! Plus the 53 cords sold so far this year! Dang it! No wonder I am hardly making anything!:censored:

Ted

Just add $12.50 to your price per cord! Problem solved.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Not here in PA:

From department of Agriculture:

Firewood
Firewood is sold by a measurement called the “cord.” A
cord is 128 cubic feet of firewood. To be sure you have
a cord, stack and measure the wood. For example, a
cord of firewood can be stacked into a pile that is:
4 feet wide, 4 feet high and 8 feet long
(4 x 4 x 8 = 128); or
2 feet wide, 4 feet high and 16 feet long
(2 x 4 x 16 = 128).
A cord of wood can be stacked in other arrangements
as long as the width times the height multiplied by the
length (all in feet) equals 128 cubic feet.

thank you ted!! this is and has been my miminum standard of measure for the past 30plus years for selling wood. i really do give a full 128cf. for a cord tho.... and 180 cubic feet loosly thrown in for delivery.stacked in a full length row of 16" split wood also measures out to be 22.5feet at 4' high as well .... so again "THANKS' "for showing im not the only one thinking this way!:msp_w00t::hmm3grin2orange:

I found this link in a post on another thread where they were arguing selling wood by the ton or by the cord. SteveNWWisc posted it. So don't shoot me, shoot him! lol I had not seen it before and was quite shocked when I read it. I know dang well I wouldnt get away with selling 120cuft as a cord, but it is interesting for sure!

As a seller, I like it!:hmm3grin2orange: As a buyer, not so much!:mad2:

Kind of odd for a government publication to have printed that if it isn't the rule here in MN! One of the most guarded secrets, for sure!

Ted

Last edited:
http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-m...ngFirewood.pdf spells out how firewood is measured and sold:

Dang, I have been giving wood away! Everyone, and I mean everyone thinks a cord is a stack of split wood that is 4ft by 4ft by 8ft. It apparently isn't! It is 120 cubic feet when split!

Wonder if anyone else caught that? Problem is, how do ya get people to realize this? It has been ingrained in to our heads for years that a cord is 4x4x8.

Not enough to make a difference you say? Well, multiply 8 cu ft by 108 cords sold last year and see how much money I lost! 7.2 cords is over 1400 bucks! Plus the 53 cords sold so far this year! Dang it! No wonder I am hardly making anything!:censored:

Ted

You still have your avatar, so all is good.

That is idiotic. I bet you there's more wood in 128 cu ft of stacked 4 ft lengths than 128 cu ft of stacked 16" lengths. To reduce the volume of the sawn wood to 120 cu ft to mean the same thing as 128 cu ft of 4 ft lengths is idiocy. If anything, the definition should be the other way around. Apparently the MN weights and measures is employing some people lacking in math and common sense.

That is idiotic. I bet you there's more wood in 128 cu ft of stacked 4 ft lengths than 128 cu ft of stacked 16" lengths. To reduce the volume of the sawn wood to 120 cu ft to mean the same thing as 128 cu ft of 4 ft lengths is idiocy. If anything, the definition should be the other way around. Apparently the MN weights and measures is employing some people lacking in math and common sense.

Couldn't agree with you more!! I just copied the link, didn't write any of it!:msp_unsure:

Ted

! whats missing is the rest of the equation to the puzzle! each time a length of wood is processed down to a smaller size (like firewood) there is an amount of waste. 8ft logs cut to 16" lengths has a 5 cut (saw curf) reduction to its prior length! reduced to 6 lengths and the sawdust/chips waste is deducted from its total mass! which through mn state weights& measures equals out to 4'x4'x7.5' to a cord!! so its like buying a dozen egs. crack the egg for processing and theres not the same amount of mass ! so just think of it was to be processed one more time to a half length(8")? ..... lol no one likes to burn sawdust/chips and no ones going to add more wood to a cord they just bought for resale ....... ? except for a select few.

To me that's the most F-tarded thing I've read. Not saying its wrong, just saying its F-tarded. I'll stick to 4x4x8..pick up or delivery.

Yup, it ain't rocket science. I find most things arn't unless there's a rocket involved. Its just how we sell wood.

The Cord wars ( or as one C/L adv. insists on calling it a "Chord")

cord = 128 cubic ft. that's fine and is correct, that is also a volume measurement, In some areas it is stated that up to apx. 10 % can be air ( void areas between splits) still a cord as far selling fire wood is concerned. MN statements likely are about processed wood working down from the volumetric measurement ( got to love bureaucrats). When is the last time you went to a store and bought a 2x4? Did you argue for a price reduction because it is not 2" x4" and therefore you are being shorted in material? Or maybe in another vein, you bought a cord of wood but a year later it is no longer the same volume due to shrinkage from loss of moisture, are you going to go back and demand that the shrinkage be replaced? It is always a pia when someone conveniently forgets the rest of the story or takes things out of context.

Maybe we should all be selling firewood by avg. specific density per type. or perhaps by weight, course now we would have to have the bureau of weights and measures certifying our loads likely with a proper moisture content..... I can see it now the wood inspectors writing citations up for improper firewood sales. Just what everyone needs more bureaucrap.

Ted, I'm on the lookout for incomin hostile fire now!

Actually I had a thread on this a year or so ago, found it and thought it was hee-larry-us and had to share it with AS. That's how that link was in my bookmarks when I needed some reference in my little battle with Leon.

Just remember folks, MN is also the state that brought All Star Wrestling and Saturday Night Live to politics...need I say more?

Latest posts

Back