Been Thinking About Moving to the United States

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard telling whether moving here would be a good idea or not, timber cutting wise. Maybe get in on the Big Thorne sale in the Tongass? I have heard quite a few calls for cutters on that project.
That's only a thousand acre clear-cut isn't it. Probably wouldn't pay to chase small jobs like that.

I believe one of my cousins is falling on big thorne now.

I'm not real familiar with the Tongass, but its south east Alaska, 1000 acres would keep guys going for quite a while, big timber, and thick too, also going to be steep ground.

Not as simple as driving a feller buncher through and clearing 2-3 acres a day per machine.

Likely going to be a lot of hand falling and bucking, once down to a manageable size the tops can be processed but not much else.

Also likely to be a bunch of Helicopter units, imagine if you will line skidding 80 acres with one skidder that can only drag 3-4 logs at a time, and has a 10-20 minute turn time. Just this skidder is flying and burning about 900 times the fuel.

Couple that with it being in Alaska, you only get about 6 months in a good year that is workable, or less.

Some of the 80 acre units here can take months to complete, longer if road building is involved.

Idaho, Oklahoma, even Washington will do. Anywere there is wood. I just want to be comfortable in my own skin. Kentucky and Tennesee are places I really like.
All the best, I really love you people.I am really hoping that Patty will sponsor me.
You might have use another strategy to get the girls down there, they love the lumberjack thing but the lumbersexual craze means they have to go through a lot of dead wood before they get the real thing.
Realmanski

Have you seen breaking bad? cause its pretty accurate from what i hear

You wont really need a pistol everywhere you go, but it sure is handy when you do.

Don't get hurt, cause then its a long walk back to Canada since yer car, house, daughters will all be in hock.

But most jobs have an open market as long as you can look em in the eye and lie about yer citizenship status... docters might (i hope) check references no one else does.

Weed is legal in like 6 states now so theres that...

Otherwise DON'T MOVE HERE!
Just realized I'm a democrat in a reblicans body.

John come on down to Georgia. You would be raising the average I.Q.!
Would really love to visit Georgia, but so hot there. New Jersey has alot of wood as does New York , I have seen it before and it is growing faster than we can cut it down.

Would really love to visit Georgia, but so hot there. New Jersey has alot of wood as does New York , I have seen it before and it is growing faster than we can cut it down.
There is a lot of wood in CT too, I get 10 cords at a time dumped on me for free. More then the mills will take, honestly. It will be a different market then you are used to, but you can make it work. The Taxes are high in CT, NY, and NJ. Lots of iron in the wood too. Spend a lot of time with damaged chains. The North East is not a good place to be for a logger. Lots of small lots and not a lot of money plus high taxes. I would go west or south, but that is just me.

Latest posts

Back