Before bed, 066-660 thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest with ya i have no idea why it broke. I've always run the saw a little on the rich side with klotz oil. Never overtighten the chain, keep it clean, use stihl bar oil, and the crank broke when i was cutting a felling notch in a 16" alder. My 361 had saved the day. Was a little pissed about it too. I have another complete crankcase here just need to swap it. Have heard these saws were known for it so i bought a crankcase when the opportunity arose. Will re-build this one and keep it in case it happens again. Going to woods port it when i put it back together too. Anyone have any good timing numbers?

Hmmm, definatally a bummer man. But I have never heard of a 66 being prone to crank failure. Never heard of problems where I live either, and it has been mostly 66 country since they came out. I am really curious though, and keep me posted on the build, and what you may find. Norm......

I will prolly start a new thread on the build. Definately not going together stock... I do have some 8X8 times for this saw in poplar as well so i sorta have a baseline.

Hmmm, definatally a bummer man. But I have never heard of a 66 being prone to crank failure. Never heard of problems where I live either, and it has been mostly 66 country since they came out. I am really curious though, and keep me posted on the build, and what you may find. Norm......

Flywheel side was prone to breaking on the early 066's. Usually sudden stop in the cut. They beefed it up later and put the polly flywheel on to boot.

Oh mine broke on the other side flush with where the clutch mounts, any idea other than bad metal that would cause that?

Flywheel side was prone to breaking on the early 066's. Usually sudden stop in the cut. They beefed it up later and put the polly flywheel on to boot.

Oh mine broke on the other side flush with where the clutch mounts, any idea other than bad metal that would cause that?

Probably not the case, but maybe an impact on the clutch....just a thought.

I agree with Brad, That side is not know for failures like the flywheel side is.

The clutch let go on my 066 today. It split in 3 places where it threads on the crank :msp_confused:. I remember a thread awhile back about a guy that had one do the same thing. Luckly it didn't damage the crank threads...so Im happy anyways. I got another clutch on the way .

Sounds like you got lucky Durand. I wish mine was together:help:

oh, when I first bought the saw dealer told me it was, guess they lied(wouldn't be the first time). Maybee I just have ####ty luck.

There has never been an impact on the clutch, have owned it since brand new and unless the clutch gremlins came in the middle of the night and did it the clutch has never been off. I have no idea why it broke. All I know is that in a little while it will be running again.

Probably not the case, but maybe an impact on the clutch....just a thought.

I agree with Brad, That side is not know for failures like the flywheel side is.

The clutch let go on my 066 today. It split in 3 places where it threads on the crank :msp_confused:. I remember a thread awhile back about a guy that had one do the same thing. Luckly it didn't damage the crank threads...so Im happy anyways. I got another clutch on the way .

Well learn something new all the time I guess. I am with Brad on that one, at least never heard of it. But I will take your word, because I know you speak from experience. So was it the earliest of models? Well Boogieman that is a bummer but glad your chin is up, and you are going to rebuild it. Though no saw is completely bullettproof, the 66-660 has served us well out here.

Has heated my house for the past 7 years and 2 summers of that it was used as my income so it doesn't owe me anything. Hopefully it'll be good for another 7 years at least.

That ain't too bad then. Just wish we knew the cause, oh well sometimes we never find out. I am just glad its salvagageable and you are going to do it.

019-1.jpg

Had to take the 066 out for a test cut after I tore her down and cleaned her up real good :cheers:

Another photo, sorry for the other saws in the picture!
025-1.jpg

Back