Before bed, 066-660 thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome Jacob, welcome to the 66 club! You will be happy, and don't be sorry dude those other saws are sweet!

Awesome Jacob, welcome to the 66 club! You will be happy, and don't be sorry dude those other saws are sweet!

Iv owned this 66 for awhile now, maybe 8 months? I bought it for 325 bucks from a logger. Its been used, but I wouldn't trade it for just about anything.

The 076 looks small sitting there.. But it still looks sexy! :rock:

Good score X2 Both very worthy saws!:msp_thumbup:

I traded the 076 for 2 020 stihls :msp_tongue:

Back before I got into saws (I think i was 13) My dad was logging and bought a brand new 660. He used it for almost 3 months. one day when cutting in some bad winds the tree set back and set there. Before he could do much the tree blew over and took the 660 with it. Plastic was tore to crap. One of his logging buddies gave him 2 066's to fix up the 660.. Sure wish I knew more about saws back then!!!!

You and me both, both been there. Told Aaron a story that before I was a collector, and new as much about the mechanic side of saws I seized one up, and took it to the dumps. It was a 2100 homelite, and immaculate. Should have kept it. Saw a 372 awhile back a faller had a tree do the same as what happen to your dad. At my shop they swapped parts to another case I think. Got the guy a saw back anyway.

There haven't been crank issues with the 066/660 since the earliest 066 with the aluminum flywheel.

Yep. The early ones had the most issues. I got one that the FW stub is sheared clean off. But I do remember JJ saying something about a rash of bad big ends, IIRC, it was in the late 90's. I forget the exact number of cranks he said he swapped out, but it was astronomical....

There haven't been crank issues with the 066/660 since the earliest 066 with the aluminum flywheel.

Is there a known serial number range or -->|x point?

I have a flat top that looks like a fairly early one. Definitely a project at the moment that needs torn down for inspection to see what's what. Anything in particular I should be looking for re: the crank?

(Probably shouldn't be in two pieces, right?) :laugh:

Last edited:
Heard of early ones with crank problems and a lot of them and 064s have problems with bearings spinning in the case.

Well good deal, good to learn something new Jeremy, and Mike just had never heard that, and I am surprised as many 66's around here. I guess as long as it was not every saw, and it happened to some they probably just wrote it off here, and not much was said and that makes sense. Pogo good question for a lookout on the serial number, or identification that would be a good heads up for ane builder. Or guy rebuilding one. So is this part of the reason they went poly flywheel, or was that just to lighten it up?

Heard of early ones with crank problems and a lot of them and 064s have problems with bearings spinning in the case.

Got one of them in the shop too. The bearing race hasnt spun yet, but it has cracked all the paint inside the case. Its only a matter of time. Sucks too, cause I was gonna build that one. :(

....So is this part of the reason they went poly flywheel, or was that just to lighten it up?

Thats the story I got, was to lighten it up. Supposedly, the inertia of the aluminum flywheel would cause em to snap the crank off if subjected to a sudden stop. When they went to the poly, the FW got lighter, and the stub got bigger.

019-1.jpg

Had to take the 066 out for a test cut after I tore her down and cleaned her up real good :cheers:

Another photo, sorry for the other saws in the picture!
025-1.jpg

very nice saws! "the other saws" are really sexy and bad :D

ok ok... I 'm confused...I don't know exactly what is AV system :confused2: i heart sometime about this and...nothing. thanks!

The AV system is anti vibration. A vibration damepning system using rubber grommets or metal springs, mounted between the saw parts.

I have a late model 066 and haven't cut a stick of wood with it since bought it in December. That is just sad. I also have a Husky 55 with a new piston in it and haven't had a chance to use that either. We need an ice storm!
ummm a small one.

That's a bummer man, hope you get to cutting soon. You don't cut firewood I take it?

I cut it when it comes my way. We heat our house 100% with wood but have plenty in stock. I have wood for sale and haven't sold a single stick this winter. We have had temps in the 60's most days. I don't remember this warm of a winter here. The daffodils have been out, trees blooming, pollen in the air, etc. All this in January!

very nice saws! "the other saws" are really sexy and bad :D

ok ok... I 'm confused...I don't know exactly what is AV system :confused2: i heart sometime about this and...nothing. thanks!

Thank you sir! there is around 308cc sitting there :hmm3grin2orange:

Fear of pavement, good deal on the wood stock, saws, and flowers! Sorry you have not sold much. Razvan my Romanian friend, no worries on the english brother, you are welcome here, and you have great taste in saws! We will help you along! Jacob yep indeed you got a sweet ass gang of saws now! Will get the bar off tommorow or next day.

Back