Bench Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soggyboots

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone ever use one or have one in the shop?

Currently looking at an Oregon 511AX, wondering if anyone has one pros/cons/suggestions

thanks

Type in "My new Oregon 511ax grinder" in the search bar. You will find some good info. I got one a week ago and have not had a chance to try it out. From what I have read it seems most people like it, biggest improvement over 511a is a self centering vice. I am far from an expert, it is the one I chose.

I have the one with hydrolic assist. I love it. I can sharpen a chain in a few mins, and I don't grind the crap out of them like they do at the saw shop. I use stihl chains, so I just took a new chain and matcihed the angles to that. The only thing that idk about is that when grinding I get some bluing on some of the cutters.

Just got the Stihl USG... can do hedge trimmers also, just have not set it up yet but I have a pile of work for it.

I have a speed sharp star from Bailey's. As I understand it, that one, the Oregon, and Maxx are all made in the same factory in Italy and are not that terribly different. If I were buying today, I'd look at that Maxx with its sale price...I really think the other 2 are just about identical.

To avoid bluing, just use a very light touch and realize you rea filing NOT grinding....but no matter what you will get the teeth hotter with this than a hand file. Just try not to get them hot enough to change the steel.

Anyone ever use one or have one in the shop? Currently looking at an Oregon 511AX, wondering if anyone has one pros/cons/suggestions

I have the 511A - the previous version. I have been satisfied with it, and would recommend it. I have sharpened and rescued many chains with it. I do like the self-centering chain vise, and the ability to sharpen 3/4" chain on the newer 511AX; features which mine does not does not have.

These are the 'standard' chain grinders that others are compared to (e.g. 'knockoff of an Oregon 511AX', or 'just as good as an Oregon 511AX', etc.). Used by a number of shops, tree services, and individual users. Generally good quality (significantly better than the knock-offs). Made in Italy. Parts are easily available. Keeps its resale value if you decide to sell it for any reason.

Mine was still not perfect: I had to clean up the castings a bit to make them move as smooth as I would like. The angle scales are off a bit, but you can calibrate that. I would highly recommend this over the knock-off versions.

The STIHL USG grinder is heavier duty but more expensive. Silvey grinders are used commercially, but significantly more expensive.

I have a speed sharp star from Bailey's. As I understand it, that one, the Oregon, and Maxx are all made in the same factory in Italy and are not that terribly different. If I were buying today, I'd look at that Maxx with its sale price...I really think the other 2 are just about identical.

Tecomec makes this grinder under the Oregon, SpeedSharp, and a few other brand names. Sometimes you can get a good deal on one of the identical ones when on sale. Some have different features: Oregon 511AX is the only model with a grinding wheel wear adjustment. Some do not have the self-centering chain vise (requires initial set up). Some do not allow you to tilt the vise +10/-10 degrees for full chisel chain.

I do not think that Tecomec makes the Maxx grinders. I have not used it personally; there are mixed reviews of it here on A.S.

Philbert

I have a knock off, Timber Pine I think is the name, lime green, same exact specs as the Oregon. I am sure it is not as nice and will not last as long. But for 150 bones, it has saved me alot of time and money. At first, I sucked! Ruined a few chains. Then I watched a redneck hillbilly in a rural town do his, he showed me what I was doing wrong. Now I can get ribbons from cross cutting, as if I was ripping.

At first, I sucked! Ruined a few chains. Then I watched a redneck hillbilly in a rural town do his, he showed me what I was doing wrong. Now I can get ribbons from cross cutting, as if I was ripping.

Yes. Chain grinders are not chop saws. They are fairly simple, but still require a little understanding to set up and a little practice and skill to master. Unfortunately, most of the owner's/user's manuals stink.

You will see a lot of negative comments about grinders here on A.S. from guys who have had chains messed up by people who were in a hurry, or did not understand how to use a grinder properly. You will occasionally see a 'WOW!' comment from someone who thought they were freehand filing correctly, then had their chain cleaned up by someone using a grinder, a filing guide, or another type of mechanical sharpener.

Bottom line is to find something that works for you (grinder, file guide, freehand file, Dremel, taking it to the shop, . . .)

Philbert

I have a knock off, Timber Pine I think is the name, lime green, same exact specs as the Oregon. I am sure it is not as nice and will not last as long. But for 150 bones, it has saved me alot of time and money. At first, I sucked! Ruined a few chains. Then I watched a redneck hillbilly in a rural town do his, he showed me what I was doing wrong. Now I can get ribbons from cross cutting, as if I was ripping.

What were you doing wrong? Never had a ribbon come off after a 511a sharpening Pass it forward

Too much material and wrong angle's, like any other novice! I have been real conscious of the depth gauge, book says .025, I am doing them at .020

Latest posts

Back