Bench mount chain sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtstang462002

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone used the chicago electric chain sharpener that horbor freight is selling for 30bucks? I am looking for all feedback on it good and bad. I just bought 27 chains that need sharpening....

It works on rocked out chains if you don't mind going back and touching them up by hand with a file.
I have one, there is so much flex in the plastic that it is hard to be consistent with it.

i allwas thought them elelatric ones was a waste of time i sharpen with a file takes about 15 min. and i dont have to take the chain off alltho iam cheap and have only one chain lol my 2 cents worth larry
:dizzy:

I bought the HF grinder and sent it back and bought the Northern grinder instead. The HF grinder flexes so much it won't grind the cutters uniformly. It is also limited in what angles you can adjust. The Northern grinder now sells for $89, you can't beat it. Follow the link RBW posted and it will discuss the washer/shim kit sold by a member of this site that improves the motion of the grinder.
Dok

I have the plastic grinder, and like the people up above said, it is not worth it unless you have tried to cut concrete with your saw. Way to flexible, not accurate enough, but it will get the chunks out. I have not used it in almost a year, getting pretty good at the hand file. :clap:

i allwas thought them elelatric ones was a waste of time i sharpen with a file takes about 15 min. and i dont have to take the chain off alltho iam cheap and have only one chain lol my 2 cents worth larry
:dizzy:

LOL :clap: I don't think they are worth the $30 due too the cheese factor. Just too much flex. I have a Speed Sharp by Precision Tools. I got it on E-flay a couple years ago for $100. Has two wheels for 3/8 and .325 and really works quite well. The key with any grinder is is a light touch. Just a skim is all you need for a pin sharp chain. Only take me a a minute to change chains. When I go out wooding on a sat morn, I take two saws with two chains each. Don't always use all them but I'm always cutting wood thats been skidded and is dirty. I usually touch up all the chains the night before.:greenchainsaw:

I bought it and am very pleased. I know there is alot better but i split it with a friend so i only have $15 in it. The only this is the angle of the blade is set as apposed to the better ones that adjust at the back. I wouldn't sharpen chains everytime with it because the chains will go fast. I file in between sharpenings and am pleased.

I have never used the plastic model from HF, but I did buy the one from NT a few months ago, and was very pleased. For a mere 100 bucks, it was pretty accurate, and i have sharpened many chipped up chains with it, it has paid for itself already. I use it when my angles get all screwy from hand filing, seems that I go about 10-12 light file sharpenings then it goes into the box to be re-corrected with the grinder.
I personally would spring for the extra dough for the Northern tools unit, cheap tools have always been a real source of agravation to me.
My 2 cents worth.

I have the plastic Chicago Electric sharpener and the Northern Tools sharpener. Don't waste your $30 on the Chicago Electric. I have one I would like to get rid of.

Has anyone used the chicago electric chain sharpener that horbor freight is selling for 30bucks? I am looking for all feedback on it good and bad. I just bought 27 chains that need sharpening....

I "attempted" to use my friends one of those, what a cheap POS! I might get the Northern one when I get the spare cash. my crappy Stihl dealer charges $8 to sharpen a chain and he does a crappy job.

I hand file most of the small chains, but hand filing a chain over 18" can take about 45 minutes, thats when a grinder is nice.

Junk,

Bought one, gave it away.
Does not consistently keep the chain at the same position to the wheel due to all of the slop in the little indexer.
Only one angle can be changed.
I bought a good one from Northern for $89, and it is sweet. 3 different adjustable axis. Very precise, built in light

OK, it is a piece of junk, I have one. But for 30$...

Most of the slop in mine was from the pivot. I pulled the pivot out and threw it in the trash. I drilled through the plastic housing with a 1/2" drill bit and put some nylon bushings in with a long 1/4" bolt for the "axle". It's pretty sad that I got tighter tolerance with a hand drill.

Once I figured out you had to change the stop when going from left to right cutters, to keep them even, I was good.

If I had 20+ chains to sharpen, I would probably go with the NH model. But for occasional use, I would say it was worth the 30$ and couple hours of messing around.

I hand file most of the time, but that can be tough with a rocked chain

I've got the one from Northern..... paid $100 shipped to my door, but often see then on sale for about $85. I love it...... WELL worth the money. I keep several chains for each saw and just swap them as needed in the field, sharpen them all when i get home. Minute or two per chain........ slicker'n cat poop on linoleum !!!!

Spend the extra money on the Northern...... you'll be happy you did. Ductape gay-ron-teeees it !

Grinder wheel

I don't know if any of you had this happen but, I bought a northern grinder, got it home and mounted it and put the wheel on in the late afternoon so that was it for the day. the next morning I got out to the shop and was going to start sharpening and I noticed overnite the wheel on the grinder cracked up like a spiderweb and when i grabbed it with my fingers it crumbled like it was dried out piece of bread, I brought it back and they replaced it, but I hate to think what would have happened if I didn't see it. So please check your grinder wheel before you start.
Have a great day all,,,tuke

Latest posts

Back