Benefits of Large Felling Dogs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid, my friend's dad was a faller, my other friend's dad worked on the landing and in the yard. We used to laugh over the heated debates they would get into over dawgs! The faller insisted they were 'felling dawgs' where the landing guy insisted they were 'buckin dawgs'!

Guess it depends what your role is!

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

Fallin' dogs are used as a pivot/fulcrum point when fallin' big timber. Most people have no clue how to use them properly.

Gary

In Michigan, large felling dawgs are only slightly more functional than truck nuts, but they look far cooler!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Some folks take them off around here!!:dizzy:

I dunno though.

Bigger Dawgs come in handy on larger Walnut and shagbarks, and are worth it on lumpy locusts where maintaining the angle on a face cut can be a pain unless ya dig in and pivot straight through the arc.

For noodling, ya can't beat big Dawgs!

I wont be upsizing on the 346 any time soon, but might have a set chromed.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Fallin' dogs are used as a pivot/fulcrum point when fallin' big timber. Most people have no clue how to use them properly.

Gary

+1. Most don't know how to use them when felling. They work great on hardwoods here too especially ugly stuff with swells and what not. Keeps the saw in the tree and takes the stress off of the cutter. Also a lot easier to make all cuts from one side of the tree. Many don't know how to do that either or that your right hand can go on the handle bar and your left can pull the trigger or the other way around... Gun then diagonal= face out. Flip the saw, dog in, back cut, done. No dancing around the stump. Obviously leaning trees can cause exceptions...

Almost forgot, two dawgs=straighter cuts.

dogs like this will get you tail like sinatra

P1020383.jpg

(from our bro here)

come one guys you know you like them because they just look realy cool compared to small dawgs:clap:

come one guys you know you like them because they just look realy cool compared to small dawgs:clap:

It is so funny when I ask friends what kind of saw they have and they say - oh, I have an 18" saw.

When I pulled my 372 with a 28" bar out to do a large tree I got the comment that it was the biggest saw they had ever seen.

I have given up trying to explain engine displacement versus bar length.

I like the ones that came on this old model 55 McCulloch

Mark

Some of the dogs on the old big timber saws are pretty dope...

I have some pretty gnarly lookin' dogs on some of my old Homelites and McCullochs. The huge dog on my 770G was homemade by one of the loggers that used it back in the 60's.

Gary

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Some folks take them off around here!!:dizzy:

I dunno though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I hate using saws with no dogs. Useless

It is so funny when I ask friends what kind of saw they have and they say - oh, I have an 18" saw.

When I pulled my 372 with a 28" bar out to do a large tree I got the comment that it was the biggest saw they had ever seen.

I have given up trying to explain engine displacement versus bar length.

Yup

Gotta have them, I even got em on the electric, All kiddin aside i bought the ones stuck on the homie as a joke, but they were bought for my 460. Way to big for the trees i cut, I do cut some large oaks but those are not needed for it. They also take away from bar length. Now if you have trees like in the PNW that has 4 to 6 inch thick bark then yes they would be an advantage. Also they look goofy to me on a bar 20 inches or less. I did put the oversize ones from stihl on it and they are perfect. Those big dogs just depends on what kind and how big the trees you're cuttin.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had double dawgs on a Sach's 120 super, and that was good fer not setting bark on FIRE.

I'm too old for sexy much of anything, unless it comes from Victoria's Secret!

Latest posts

Back