Benefits of Large Felling Dogs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ever put in an undercut over your head with a 395 or similar sized saw? Without dogs?

Over shoulder cuts are a no no, but yes, I have made them. I cut a limb off my tree in the front yard standing on the next to top step of a 6 foot folding ladder, one handing my 394 straight up into the air. Yeah, foolish move, but I was young and teaching myself how to saw. Never had a serious injury.

However, my 394 has dogs.

It would actually be "pull the dull chains through wood" that is because the rear handle puts much more force on the b&c compared to the handlebar. therefor you would be pulling on the rear handle. . .

but you really slipped up there space, that #### sounds dumb as hell....

You're arguing semantics. No one really gives a shat if you're pushing or puling--the bar is being forced through the wood, or pushed if you will.

Big Dawgs.:yoyo:

attachment.php

Fastest 70 cc class saw I ever had was a 120 super, and it had no dogs on it. Didn't need them--just ate right through whatever it touched. Dogs are most often used by people who don't know how to file so they can push dull chains through the wood.

Over shoulder cuts are a no no, but yes, I have made them. I cut a limb off my tree in the front yard standing on the next to top step of a 6 foot folding ladder, one handing my 394 straight up into the air. Yeah, foolish move, but I was young and teaching myself how to saw. Never had a serious injury.

However, my 394 has dogs.

Straight from someone who hasn't done fu*k all tree felling by the sounds of it. I cut above head height all the time, it's a no no in your Chainsaw manual for liability reasons but in the real world it's a necessity. Just cutting cants doesn't count as real world sorry and if you do think that you can get by without dogs in the real world you're a peanut.

Last edited:
Straight from someone who hasn't done fu*k all tree felling by the sounds of it. I cut above head height all the time, it's a no no in your Chainsaw manual for liability reasons but in the real world it's a necessity. Just cutting cants doesn't count as real world sorry and if you do think that you can get by without dogs in the real world you're a peanut.

It's true in the fire service as well, you just end up in a situation where you have to make due. I enjoyed (not really) cutting over my head off of a ladder at the last fire I was at because it was the only way to get the job done.

Luckily I haven't had to due anything like that in the wide world of firewood harvesting.

As far as big dawgs, while, the certainly are not necessary in every situation, however there are those times where the biggest you can get may not be big enough. They wouldn't make giant dawgs if there was no reason for them. IMHO i think the type of wood, bark, terrain and personal preference / cutting style have a lot to do with what size dawgs you need.

Last edited:
It's true in the fire service as well, you just end up in a situation where you have to make due. I enjoyed (not really) cutting over my head off of a ladder at the last fire I was at because it was the only way to get the job done.

I agree mate. There is no need for cutting over your head with perfect single trunked trees but when you get into ugly mongrels with bifurcated trunks by NOT sometimes cutting the scarf/backcut above your head or at head height you'll end up wearing one of the trunks as a hat. Oh, and dying in the process. It is a necessity to cut high to avoid the trunk splitting as it falls which has happened to me a few times. You basically lose control of the tree which is NEVER a good thing.

With a flat head...

And making the papers...

Last edited:
You're arguing semantics. No one really gives a shat if you're pushing or puling--the bar is being forced through the wood, or pushed if you will.

Semantics

Often misused when quibbling about something someone said. In that context, the statement "That's only semantics" would be more aptly phrased as "You're just 'splitting hairs on word meanings."

Often used within the phrase "You're arguing semantics":

-- as a blanket repudiation of precise communication.

-- by persons advocating 'subjective feelings' over 'objective description' as a mainstay of communication.

The very concept of semantics is frequently disparaged by wishy-washy passive-aggressives who refuse to be accountable for their careless use of language or their deplorable lack of education.

Semantics

Often misused when quibbling about something someone said. In that context, the statement "That's only semantics" would be more aptly phrased as "You're just 'splitting hairs on word meanings."

Often used within the phrase "You're arguing semantics":

-- as a blanket repudiation of precise communication.

-- by persons advocating 'subjective feelings' over 'objective description' as a mainstay of communication.

The very concept of semantics is frequently disparaged by wishy-washy passive-aggressives who refuse to be accountable for their careless use of language or their deplorable lack of education.
Hey Ed, bite me. See how much more concise I am? :)

Last edited:
Just about all my saws have bucking gaffs regardless of size. They make for a good pivot point and help protect the crankcase from damage. Also if you use the newer saws and cut a tree around 3' in diameter the gaffs will keep the muffler from striking the tree. They shine the most for felling though. I tend to make more accurate cuts with gaffs and especially if the tree is around 3' in diameter the gaffs will hold the weight of the saw when starting the cut. In my opinion the gaffs are a win win situation on any saw.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVY3IYDVNJI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVY3IYDVNJI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Just about all my saws have bucking gaffs regardless of size. They make for a good pivot point and help protect the crankcase from damage. Also if you use the newer saws and cut a tree around 3' in diameter the gaffs will keep the muffler from striking the tree. They shine the most for felling though. I tend to make more accurate cuts with gaffs and especially if the tree is around 3' in diameter the gaffs will hold the weight of the saw when starting the cut. In my opinion the gaffs are a win win situation on any saw.

Never heard them called "gaffs" before. :)

Gary

Latest posts

Back