Benefits of Large Felling Dogs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, you guys get so defensive about your "large" dogs.

Space is dead right that most people use dogs to get through a cut faster with a dull chain. If you sharpen your chain right, the saw will practically cut with no hand pressure.

I like larger dawgs for looks, stumping trees with nasty root flares and felling dead trees with loose bark. As I become a better hand filer and sawman, I find I need dawgs less and less, but they are still mandatory in a lot of situations. Gotta love eastern hardwoods.

Hey Space, don't start criticizing dual spikes as totally unnecessary. You may get banned for talking nonsense.:popcorn:

Know why I like dogs? cause when you dog into a big oak, you can run the saw by putting enough pressure on the throttle with one little finger to keep her wide open, thats all the pressure you need to keep her eating with a sharp chain... no pushing, pulling ,shoving, jerking, cussing, just alittle index finger pressure...

Know why I like dogs? cause when you dog into a big oak, you can run the saw by putting enough pressure on the throttle with one little finger to keep her wide open, thats all the pressure you need to keep her eating with a sharp chain... no pushing, pulling ,shoving, jerking, cussing, just alittle index finger pressure...

I do agree. The saw wants to do the work, why not give it a good chain and let it work.

Thats it man! When you can only have one hand on the saw because it might get ugly in a hurry or your'e keeping track of everything else that is going on, in the tree and surrouding area.

The dull chain theory makes no sense. If you push harder on a dull chain its only going to bog or slow down more. Just foolishishness. There must be a lot of loggin done with dull chains and a lot of firewood cuttin done with race chains! Shockingly, leverage can be used in all manner of applications to make jobs easier. Everyday physics.

Space, holding a 394 over your head on a ladder in your front yard takes away any crediblity that you may have. You couldn't find a smaller saw for that nonsense? I've held a 90cc saw over my head arm extended with a 36" bar on it to cut some snags, but only because I had too. In your front yard you've got options.

Hey they were the only set of 6-point 880 dawgs I've ever seen, so I said to myself "I've gotta have these hot rods"

You gotta post pics of those on the saw! Those are just crazy big. You shouldn't need a chain at all with those. The dawgs will help you to just push the bar right through the wood.

Over shoulder cuts are a no no, but yes, I have made them. I cut a limb off my tree in the front yard standing on the next to top step of a 6 foot folding ladder, one handing my 394 straight up into the air. Yeah, foolish move, but I was young and teaching myself how to saw. Never had a serious injury.

However, my 394 has dogs.

The way you phrased that I am guessing that you wouldn't do that again.

My father was cutting on a ladder, slipped and landed on his Husky 455/18 - bruised ribs were his only reward on that one - could have ended a LOT worse.

Neighbor down the street ended up chewing on his saw after cutting over his head, died a week later in the hospital from severe infection.

I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which cutting over shoulder height is worth doing. It is sufficiently dangerous that i would work hard at finding an alternative.

One handed sawing with a 90cc saw? Only if I was suicidal.

I appreciate your wisdom spacemule, but it would be good to hear you tell the less experienced among us that we should learn from others' silliness and not cut above the shoulder or one handed (at least with large saws).

This old lancaster has a fairly big one on it, Man i would hate to run this puppy all day, extremely loud and no vibes. I guess it would beat the heck out of a hand saw though.

attachment.php

Space, holding a 394 over your head on a ladder in your front yard takes away any crediblity that you may have. You couldn't find a smaller saw for that nonsense? I've held a 90cc saw over my head arm extended with a 36" bar on it to cut some snags, but only because I had too. In your front yard you've got options.
Only saw I had. You use what you got.

I can go get a ladder so I'm not cutting above my head but I'll bet my left nut that I've got a higher risk from the ladder's feet sinking in or toppling over than cutting my head off with no ladder.
If you're 5'6" and 140lbs it probably isn't wise to swing a 3120 above your head - people need to know their limitations. What applies for one person DOES not apply for another person. When cutting above your head you also don't stick your face or head in a vulnerable position. Cutting above your head shouldn't be recommended to beginners but it IS necessary sometimes. I've cut above head height with my 3120 and 42" bar, not cause I wanted to but because I had to. I'm also 6'3", 255 lbs and have a bit of time on saws as well. I know very well what positioning I need to be the safest however lets be honest, no matter what you do you're not 100% safe with a chainsaw or sitting in your sofa at home...

Big dogs

:chainsaw:They just look cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chainsaw:

At least that was why I did at first!
Put them on my 044 w/ a 28" bar, now that I have used it, I wouldn't have it any other way! I can dig into bigger logs and flush cut alot easier! The dawgs really bit, which helps when you need that grip! with the length of the bar I can limb a fallen tree limbs with ease! I got to experience that on X-mas day, when a large hemlock came right across my drive!!!!!!!
First they look cool!:chainsaw:, and they are were it's at for bucking and flush cutting. Even in the Ohio region! (Hocking Hills Region!)

I am sure the west coast guys will ring in here shortly! Which is probably who ultimately really need them for that big bark on FIRS and such!

Yup, a mandatory staple here on Vancouver island, large to huge trees, thick bark and spring boarding stumps.
Plus they help when you have to move from one spring board to another, just point your saw towards the ground and dig the dogs in, now climb around and just grab your saw and lay that tree on its back!

I've seen a few guys replace the factory dogs with large dogs on each side of the bar. Other than looking mean and nasty, whats the function of more and larger teeth on the dog. Not sure what I'm missing here...

Largers spikes besides better leverage keep you from beating up the muffler on your saw. I noticed that right away.

Latest posts

Back