Benefits of Large Felling Dogs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the factory and aftermarket falling dogs are too much of a good thing .. They do come in handy for climbing around in steep bluffy ground .... The 056 had very good falling dogs , but they would break fairly easily .. the 2100 had execellent falling dogs . The 394 falling dogs totally sucked . !!!!! The swiss cheesed ones that stuck way down below the bar :confused:. . For putting in Humbolt face cuts the points of the dogs need to line up so they provide a uniform pivot ... I like the west coast dogs for the 660 & 650 .also the stock falling for the 460 are fine ....
. The dogs for the 372 -390 Husky are very good .....\
. If the dogs stick too far below the bottom of the chain they will flex and cause the chain to bind in the cut . and it stops turning ,then you have to pop it down away from the wood and get the chain spinning again ............ It is especially maddening with a nice hungry chain when putting the face in a hard hemlock . nIt,s enough to make a guy freak out ... and build a new set of dogs ........ The best 394/395 dogs were made in Coffman Cove by Ron Hull and Clayton Smalley ..... The set I like the best on my 394 are just a top and bottom point .. The chain never hangs up in the bar on face cuts . and they are strong enough to knock a big face out .......

One advantage that hasnt been brought up is they keep the saw from sliding off your shoulder with the typical PNW shoulder carry.

Another advantage is when felling clutch side up (for wrap handle guys) will help keep the saw case or off side handle from hitting the butt swell which will preload your and bind your bar and chain.

Haha, you guys get so defensive about your "large" dogs.

Space is dead right that most people use dogs to get through a cut faster with a dull chain. If you sharpen your chain right, the saw will practically cut with no hand pressure.

I like larger dawgs for looks, stumping trees with nasty root flares and felling dead trees with loose bark. As I become a better hand filer and sawman, I find I need dawgs less and less, but they are still mandatory in a lot of situations. Gotta love eastern hardwoods.

Hey Space, don't start criticizing dual spikes as totally unnecessary. You may get banned for talking nonsense.:popcorn:

woof woof.

attachment.php

Just giving ya crap. Thems is some bog dogs. Wouldn't want to have any flesh contact with them.

Back