bent over looking rakers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heh, feeling better already, Mark?

Yes, my Poulan 330 came with Vanguard as well.. My Christmas order from Bailey's had 2 loops of LGX in it, that cured that!! I think I'll keep the Vanguard around for stumps or dirty wood.

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

If you are describing the rakers that look like a folded over dorsal fin, those are the WORST chains I've ever attempted to use here.

The are OK the first one or two outings, but never do really "bite" in like the standard full chisel chains without an safety features.

As soon as you sharpen them a few times and reduce the tooth diameter, they just don't cut well at all.

They are standard issue on the Poulan 330's 22" bar that folks have been talking about on this site, and one of the reasons those saws aren't all that impressive right out of the box.....FWIW.....Cliff

No opinion on that chain, fact. It is fine when new and the first outing or two, then quickly starts getting less and less "bite" as the teeth get sharpened down.

I bought one loop of it about 3-4 years ago at TSC, and absolutely hated it.

The next time I saw it was on the Poulan 330's I also bought at TSC. Instead of just throwing it out, I tried it again, and the same exact thing, the more you use it and sharpen the teeth down, the less effective the chain is. By the third outing, it's next to useless, IMHO.

In any case, I'm sure some folks really like it, especially if you are using somewhat UNDERPOWERED saws in the first place.....and maybe that's why it shows up on the Poulan 330 with a 22" bar?.......Cliff

Maybe you should learn how to file rakers, I got a dozen of them pretty cheap and with some work they cut near my other non- vanguard chains.
Ill agree I don't love them but they still cut fine.

And don't start crying cause Mark pointed out your 1/2 :censored:ed opinion. He likes his poulan's and doesn't like when I call them boat anchors. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

So when you start calling peoples saws :censored: be ready.

Last edited:
"Cliff I don"t have to go back to see when your contradicting yourself, its a common occurrence."

Thanks for pointing it out to me and everyone else.

"And I don't care about you and your 330. I just try to keep the correct info out for the OP questions."

Now you don't care about me or my saw, I'm heartbroken.....:cry:.....Cliff

I don't care for the vangaurd, but the rakers are not hard to file and you can even use a FOP on em but getting it off is like a chinese finger trap.

yo clifford, didn't mean to denigrate your factual opinion into the land of just "opinion". I was just commenting _in general_ as to the different opinions as to the usefulness of said chain theretofore reflected in the thread (that i may regret) i started.

unless somebody gives me some of that stuff, i'll never own it. was just curious as to the name or purpose of such as i'd not seen it before.

:popcorn::sword::arg::fart::popcorn:

it was never about a poolan or whatever yall are fussing 'bout.

Last edited:
Whether knowingly or not, both of you (Mark and Cliff) have done a great deal to demystify, promote and trouble shoot this saw! :clap:

Kudos to the both of you!

If everyone liked the same things, it would be a pretty boring world! Sometimes a difference of opinion makes for great entertainment!

(You two should call an armistice for Christmas, though!)

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

yo clifford, didn't mean to denigrate your factual opinion into the land of just "opinion". I was just commenting _in general_ as to the different opinions as to the usefulness of said chain theretofore reflected in the thread (that i may regret) i started.

unless somebody gives me some of that stuff, i'll never own it. was just curious as to the name or purpose of such as i'd not seen it before.

:popcorn::sword::arg::fart::popcorn:

it was never about a poolan or whatever yall are fussing 'bout.

Wade its all good! Thats what this is for, the disscussion of these things.

No saws were needed mentioned. The chain works the same on all of them.
You didn't start anything, I just like for all the facts to come out on each question.

Really guys, it's all in good fun. I'm learning not to let any comments slip out about how pathetically amemic the over-weight, outdated, over-barred, under-chained Poulan 330's are, were, or whatever. Before you do a muffler mod to one they don't cut any faster than a Mac-610 with the chain on backwards, but who am I to judge them, and what do I really know, I just bought three of them, ran the piss out of them, muffler modded, tuned, swapped carbs out, and in the end, they are just an OK saw.....I'm truely sorry I'm just not overly impressed with them. It's really not my fault. Every time I start really liking a 330, I pick up a Husqvarna Pro saw and bring myself back to reality!

Seriously, and back on the subject of this chain, it shows up frequently on E-Bay at very reasonable prices. I haven't tried modifying the rakers as of yet, seems like a lot of material would have to be removed to get them to work correctly. I'm sure a little time with a high speed grinder and thin cutting wheel would do the trick.

I will say that lowering them is only marginally effective once they get down to about 60 percent or so. It's not a good design, I've messed with it twice now, no need to go down that path again.....Cliff

Latest posts

Back