keep those rakers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching my renter cut some wood. Chain was .050. .325 . Stihl chain. He mentioned that he had just filed the rakers all the way off to get " more power". The chain broke instantly one he touched wood. Too big a bite I guess strained the links!
I'm still not used to depth gauges being referred to as "rakers". I always imagine someone raking cut grass :D

I see a lot of guys, in a lot of forums, reflexively stating: ‘Drop the rakers!’, without any idea where they are at, what kind of cutting will be fine, how chains actually cut, etc.

Similar thing with, ‘Gut the muffler!’, or , ‘Play Freebird!’

Other guys listen to them.

Philbert

I see a lot of guys, in a lot of forums, reflexively stating: ‘Drop the rakers’, without any idea where they are at, what kind of cutting will be fine, how chains actually cut, etc.

Philbert

"Play Freebird"... :rock:

I did that once on an old almost worn out chain with a 60cc saw as an experiment. Bucked about 6 pieces; chain went in the garbage. Great way to experience maximum NVH when running a saw.

I did that once on an old almost worn out chain with a 60cc saw as an experiment. Bucked about 6 pieces; chain went in the garbage. Great way to experience maximum NVH when running a saw.
Apparently, OK for cutting ice on a frozen lake.

Philbert

I see a lot of guys, in a lot of forums, reflexively stating: ‘Drop the rakers!’, without any idea where they are at, what kind of cutting will be fine, how chains actually cut, etc.

Philbert

Philbert
We should make it a Man-Law that anyone who gives advice in there needs to post pics of their own chains. I bet they’d stop

We should make it a Man-Law that anyone who gives advice in there needs to post pics of their own chains. I bet they’d stop

Not me.

I hand file and never used a grinder.

My chains cut great until the teeth break off, then it's retired as a "stumper"

I've got one on a 036 about there, I'll take a pic next time cutting.....

Back