keep those rakers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me.

I hand file and never used a grinder.

My chains cut great until the teeth break off, then it's retired as a "stumper"

I've got one on a 036 about there, I'll take a pic next time cutting.....
Cutterless chain might be a BETTER driver for the BAR TIP MOUNTED DEBARKING PLANER?

Rakers or Depth Gauges it's all just made up words.
The trunk of a car we call the boot.
When drying Timber/Lumber you guys call them Stickers we call them Strip Sticks..And that's right we call Lumber - Timber.
Pop we call Soft drink.
Candy we call Lollies.
Skidding logs we call that Snigging logs.
I could go on and on...
I'm fine calling Depth Gauges Rakers and careless what other people around the world call them. Some people get hangup on their word is the right word but we all know what someone is talking about no matter the word used.
And besides noone can say with a straight face depth gauges don't help drag sawdust out of the cut?? Actually don't some people call depth gauges Drags?

When drying Timber/Lumber you guys call them Stickers we call them Strip Sticks..And that's right we call Lumber - Timber.
Pop we call Soft drink.
Candy we call Lollies.
I could go on and on...
I'm fine calling Depth Gauges Rakers and careless what other people around the world call them. Some people get hangup on their word is the right word but we all know what someone is talking about no matter the word used.
And besides noone can say with a straight face depth gauges don't help drag sawdust out of the cut?? Actually don't some people call depth gauges Drags?

You forgot- gas = petrol! :surprised3:

When drying Timber/Lumber you guys call them Stickers we call them Strip Sticks..And that's right we call Lumber - Timber
I worked with a guy that had a bad newfoundland accent and he called stickers doneage, I thought he was saying dummies for the first week.
He kept yelling at me to put the dummies on the truck and I kept saying hop on lol.

Pop we call Soft drink.
Candy we call Lollies.
I could go on and on...
I am curious at what point, the kings engrish, Aussies, Kiwis, yanks, Irish and kanuks are all going to have distinct and unique versions that none of us can understand the other, India is well on its way otherwise I would have mentioned them.

I worked with a guy that had a bad newfoundland accent and he called stickers doneage, I thought he was saying dummies for the first week.
He kept yelling at me to put the dummies on the truck and I kept saying hop on lol.
Doneage also called Runners or Skids

You get it.

A lot of guys don’t. Especially, newer guys.

I see a lot of posts where guys swear, absolutely, that ‘rakers’ push the chips through the kerf (because of their name).

Then, complain that their chains won’t cut, even though their cutters are razor sharp. (Must be ‘safety chain!’).

Nothing wrong with learning terminology, especially, if you want to communicate with others.

Philbert

Rakers, or Depth Gauges, or "Stops" as the loggers used to call them, control the angle at which the top portion of the cutter engages the wood.

The term "rakers" harks back to old cross cut saws, the "peg and raker" style, where you had 2 cutter teeth on the left side and 2 cutter teeth on the right side and a raker tooth between the 4 cutter teeth and the next set of cutter teeth. Purpose, to drag or "rake" the cut chips or strips from the kerf. The cutters scored the side of the kerf, the rakers (which needed to be adjusted for depth as well as somewhat sharp) pull the cut strips from the kerf. Sheesh!

Rakers on saw chain perform a totally different function, to control the degree to which the cutter tooth rocks backwards when engaging wood to optimize its cutting action. The chain tooth employs both a side cutting portion (performs the role of the cutters on a crosscut saw) and a top cutting portion (which actually performs the role of the rakers on a peg and raker setup). If you grind down the rakers beyond factory recommendation you need to adjust the top plate angle. And get ready for the chainsaw races, that's the only reason to go big like that. Significant increase of kickback.

Johnny Rules ,

Well...that is, until he met Watasha. :numberone:

3329copy.jpg

I worked with a guy that had a bad newfoundland accent and he called stickers doneage,

Horse feathers!

I remember when my dad bought a bunch of green lumber that he wanted to dry and use for cabinetmaking, and he told my mom that he needed a bunch of horse feathers to stack and dry it, and my mom was like "WTH are horse feathers? Horses don't have feathers!"

Horse feathers!

I remember when my dad bought a bunch of green lumber that he wanted to dry and use for cabinetmaking, and he told my mom that he needed a bunch of horse feathers to stack and dry it, and my mom was like "WTH are horse feathers? Horses don't have feathers!"

The mill I used to cut for- they were called fillets.

Back