Bent Splitter Foot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy26R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for some opinions. Splitter used only 4-5 times, maybe 8 hrs service, and the foot has started to bend. Unit has a 3 year warranty. Would you consider this under warranty? I haven't called customer service yet. Looks like the whole beam can be ordered as a replacement part. Should I be expected to eat this cost as I pushed the unit too hard?

First take so e pics and second it should be warrentee depending on the degree of bend and how u used it. If the foot wasn't strong enough for the relief to kick in it that could be where your problem lies. If you can plumb in a gauge to the back side of the ram we know what pressure the relef is opening at and some more info on brand and size of splitter

What brand splitter and where was it purchased?
Are you saying that you pushed it too hard?

Ariens 27t with the newly designed foot. Not a solid metal foot, but thinner metal with reinforcements welded behind. The reinforcements look like all the paint is off the welds so I'm assuming the welds failed. Some times when powering through some tough knots or big oak the machine slows/stops briefly and then breaks through. I'm guess it was just too much for the welds and then the actual foot plate bent out slightly. Not near splitter for pics. Looks like a new whole beam can be purchased for around 400.

I'd certainly expect it it be replaced at no cost.
Bad design, poor construction or both.
After only eight hours, I'd take it back where I bought it and ask for a replacement, or a refund.

If you didn't modify the machine, it should be under warranty. Unless you make the foot taller, it should be able to handle anything you throw at it.

Thanks! Just wanted some opinions prior to calling the company.

Yep on the above!
Sounds like something other than 'user failure'. They should stand behind their product once you explain the problem to them. Good luck!

Ariens 27t with the newly designed foot. Not a solid metal foot, but thinner metal with reinforcements welded behind. The reinforcements look like all the paint is off the welds so I'm assuming the welds failed. Some times when powering through some tough knots or big oak the machine slows/stops briefly and then breaks through. I'm guess it was just too much for the welds and then the actual foot plate bent out slightly. Not near splitter for pics. Looks like a new whole beam can be purchased for around 400.

Looked at the site, saw where someone else talked about bending the foot. Might be a problem they want to fix.

Hal

Contact the company, they should stand behind their warranty. Thats suppose to be a high dollar high quality product

Is it the same one they sell at home cheapo? Didn't look that high quality to me

take it back and get a new one, or find a good welder to beef it up right.........

My splitter foot is solid 1" plate, I have thought about extending mine out 2 or 3 mor inches but I knew it would take some major renforcing to prevent that from happing.
But L am like everybody else has said if you have not made any modifications they should stand behind that and cover that under warranty.

Note when splitting large rounds ( those that exceed the parameters specified or extend way above foot plate ) this can occur. Awful lot of stress placed at top edge of foot plate with "over sized" rounds. If you read the booklet likely says something about 8-10" rounds as max, pretty sure a speeco is 8" as a reference Why the Mfg's engineer that way anybodys guess.

Put a long straight edge on that beam and check to see if it isn't sprung a bit as well.
I bent a 2" thick foot plate with a 30" dia. piece of Oak and it sprung the H beam about and 1/8" between the wedge home and the foot plate.

Back