Best 30cc chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would seriously look into the rear handle versions of the Top-Handle saws that Stihl and Husky sell!!!

Ugly....Yes Performers....YES

Stihl MS200

MS200.gif

Husky 339XP

hu339

if a 142 is in the future!

then grab a wildthing at a garage sale for 10 bucks it won't hold up like the husky but is basically the same saw without the chromed piston so if you like the wildthing then you are in the money to the tune of 190.00 if not then you are out 10 bucks.

If a man decided upon a MS170 there are a few bolt on upgrades that can be done for cheap. the metal felling dogs from a MS200T bolt right on. the side chain adjuster from a MS200T bolts right in place of the front tensioner. and the plate on the front of the muffler is easily removed (2-8mm nuts) to expose a nice factory modified muffler. and the best part..it has screw on fuel and bar oil caps.
and run it with a 14" bar and chain. 3/8 picco. it will pull better as it breaks in.
Odd that the parts off the 020T/200T bolt right on, but imo, stihl doesn't do mistakes that perfect, so they must have had it planned that way.
imo, for the money and size, it's a decent little saw. dependable as sunrise, light as a feather. cuts good for a 30cc saw. is it my choise for firewood or felling? no, not even on the long list. but if you want a light saw to reach around with doing trimming, its as good as any other in its size catagory.
-Ralph

Clearly the best 30 CC chain saw would be to get a 361 and cut it in half. Then the decision would be whether to keep both or sell the second one.

In all seriousness, I like the wild thing Idea someone posted. With the limited uses for a saw that small the wild thing would probably last ya forever and if not you can get three for the price of one huskey and I figure 3 would have to outlast one huskey. Im sure you have the wild thing thread but if not, check it out.

What I really want is a lightweight bullet-proof pro model 30cc saw that we can use for thinning and limbing trees with here. The Stihl MS361 or Dolly 5100s in 30cc please? ..

I would seriously look into the rear handle versions of the Top-Handle saws that Stihl and Husky sell!!!

Ugly....Yes Performers....YES

Stihl MS200

MS200.gif

Husky 339XP

hu339

There you go, the best suggestion so far, but a bit more money than you started out with, and a bit more ccs......:D :D

The Chainsaw Continuum

There you go, the best suggestion so far, but a bit more money than you started out with, and a bit more ccs......:D :D

Yes, this is an example of the relative constant "Chainsaw Drift" that we have been discussing here. Its is like the red shift of light in the expanding universe. Seemingly whenever you look at chainsaws, you will drift to more cc's and bigger and better, until you wind up with the 361 and 5100s. I mean, the 5100s is only what, 11+ lb? And you get a lot more saw, and well, they are reasonably priced, say, as compared to the MS 200 or even the XP. If there will actually be an MS 200... or an MS 192 for that matter. You see, not only are we drifting up in price and size, but we are also drifting into some future relm of the chainsaw event horizon that is not even here yet. Always a bit more money and a few more CCs... and a not quite yet available saw to buy... sucking us all into the AS black hole of the Chainsaw Continuum. :bang:

.... If there will actually be an MS 200... or an MS 192 for that matter. ....

The MS200 has been with us for some years, and so has the 339xp (here - new this year in the US)) - the 192 rear handle are in this years Stihl catalog, both in the US and here.

What the local dealers actually stock, is another issue..........

I like the MS180, although the easy2flood feature got me the other month.

Once you flood one, the easy2start feature makes the 180 darn hard to start.

Normally no problems, but if you flood it you're screwed (pull the plug or wait a while)

I'd buy a 180 again, but maybe the 170 is better value???

200 & 192

The MS200 has been with us for some years, and so has the 339xp (here - new this year in the US)) - the 192 rear handle are in this years Stihl catalog, both in the US and here.

What the local dealers actually stock, is another issue..........

Well, you are right about the 200 :bowdown: (I would give you rep points, but I have to spread more around first) ...though, um, it lists for about as much as 361. Never seen one in stock at a store in the west US. The 192 has yet to appear in anyone's stores or price lists here yet. They say that it will be out maybe by spring???

Last edited:
Flooding

I like the MS180, although the easy2flood feature got me the other month.

Once you flood one, the easy2start feature makes the 180 darn hard to start.

Normally no problems, but if you flood it you're screwed (pull the plug or wait a while)

I'd buy a 180 again, but maybe the 170 is better value???

Yah, I have been leaning toward the 180. 180s on Ebay and they sell there beat up and used for about $150... new they were listed for $200 here in December. The 361 is easy to flood as well if you use the decomp button when it is cold. I generally flip the choke to fast idle after a couple of pulls.

I think that the Dolmar 341 and the Stihl 180 are probably the best contenders for the true 30cc size, weight and price range. In the 40cc I think the Dolmar 401 is the ticket.

Yah, I have been leaning toward the 180. 180s on Ebay and they sell there beat up and used for about $150... new they were listed for $200 here in December. The 361 is easy to flood as well if you use the decomp button when it is cold. I generally flip the choke to fast idle after a couple of pulls.

I think that the Dolmar 341 and the Stihl 180 are probably the best contenders for the true 30cc size, weight and price range. In the 40cc I think the Dolmar 401 is the ticket.

For me, displacement doesn't matter. I break-out my saws by weight and power. I'm old, weak, and lazy, so limbing with a 7900 bites. The 5100 is a great limbing saw unless I haven't been sawing for awhile and am out of shape, or am trying to truly cut all day, then even it gets too heavy. Haven't taken delivery on my Dolmar 411 yet, but with a 13' thin-kerf bar and chain it should be pretty dang handy.

The Stihl 200 and 192

Was at the BIG Stihl shop up in Eugene today. They have just about every Stihl saw, blower, hedger, trimmer, whacker, gadget and side-show tool that Stihl makes there, maybe 3 deep of each. I noticed that they did not have the MS200. Seemingly no dealers have them in stock in Oregon, which is why I thought they were a mythical legend saw (but I have since been corrected by the Norse Troll). They do not have the MS192 rear trigger (nor did they know when it would be out, nor was it in their catalog yet). I revved up a 180 and looked at what Ralph was saying about the 170. It can be easilly updated to be a more real saw. I wish there was a Dolly dealer near here so I could check out the 341/401 up close. I do not want to get a WildThing saw by mistake. I did check out the Huskys at a hardware store and I do not think I am a Husky kind of guy. Too much plastic, and buttons that seem to be in the wrong place. I dunno... I am leaning toward the Dolly 401. Seems to be a mean saw for the weight and price. Maybe get a 5100 with it as a pair.

...advanced chainsaw disease.

Back