Best 50cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is another ohio gtg and i get invited for once..lol... I will bring both a 152 and a 156 stock and by then I hope to have my other 152 ported! Now I will say if you got piles of cash laying around..you cant go wrong with a stihl..they have awsome dealer support.(they just cost more than my my CAD budget allows..my girl has me on financial probation..lol. Efco is starting to catch on now that some have gave them a try. Dealer support is not bad..there is always baileys if you dont mind mail order...dealers are around...they just arent in every small town like stihl is.

Maybe I'll get to check yours out at a GTG sometime. It's just hard for me to argue against a 346 when I can get them for $440.

I haven't run a 261 yet. Really enjoy my OE 346 as well as my 5100. Never cared for the 026 and have had 3 of them.
Partner 500 is a nice saw and the 5000 even nicer, they just don't have the anti-vibe that the modern saws have.

My opinion: MS261 all the way, baby...

Great saw...power-to-weight,
good balance...
good fuel economy...
good anti-vibe...

You already have compatable bars and chains...

What are you doing reading ArboristSite threads? Why aren't you at the dealer buying your new 261?

Send us pics when ya get it home!:cheers:

Had a customer bring in a new 261. He just had to have me try it out. I must admidt not to bad! I do not know about the strongest on the market in the 50cc range. My 5100 would outsaw it but I am pulling 3/8 and the stihl had 325 on it. Might be real close if I put 325 on the 5100! He had a 510 dolmar and it was stronger than it but it should be I would hope for the price!

If I were in the market for a new pro 50cc saw the 261 would be hard to pass up. The filtration, power, quality and dealer network is hard to overlook.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dYdiJe5X7Fo" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

attachment.php

here's Andre hiding behind Brad's 261

I think that if you went to the nearest Husky and Stihl dealers and handled the 261 and 346, then you could make up your mind on that alone. The balance and just the overall feel of a saw in your hands is a personal opinion kinda thing. No one else can tell you which handles or feels better. Power, reliability, antivibe, etc, between these two don't really show much of an advantage to either from wht I've seen so far. So I can't really recommend you either one, but can tell you that they'll both do you right in a 50cc saw. So go feel em out. Don't forget about the 260 either. You may like the way it feels over any of them.

Last edited:
I dont think you can go wrong with a 026pro/260pro or even the 261. I havent ran the 261 so i couldnt give ya a honest opinion. Although alot of people rave about both of them.

Those efcos look sweet and are in my price range, but i have no use for another saw.

Last edited:
Been asked to comment on this thread from the viewpoint of an Efco dealer. Trouble is I am a fulltime logger also. Here are my thoughts.

Never ran a 346NE or 261. Have probably 20,000 plus tanks thru both 260 and 346OE models. If some have followed the 152 Efco long term thread I have 417 tanks thru one.

The 152 is a good saw. It has parts that can equal or better either a 260 or 346OE. It also has parts that are not up to Stihl/Husky level. A saw however does not go into the woods in peices, but as a complete unit. If the use was blocking firewood only, the 152 is the full equal to either 260 or 346OE. For logs/pulp ( pro level use ), as a total package however the 152 comes up behind 260/346OE.

If some see this as a dealer putting down his product, it is not the case. I see it as a logger/dealer being honest. I have no problem recommending other brands to my customers. I want to make them happy. Have guys buying Stihl/Husky saws from other dealers but getting all their accessories from me. I can live with it. I am running a 346 xpg this winter.

Last edited:
I would love to run a ported MS261 someday. ......and thats prolly another good point for both Husqvarna and Stihl is that they both gain a lot from porting.

Latest posts

Back