Best 50cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not about "use" man....time to get over that.

Those are the types of words that can get you banned around here.

:laughn::laughn::laughn::laughn:

I dont see the reason anymore. Now flipping saws is another thing, im eyeballin' that ms180 with a air leak. You could flip that in no time. Thing is i dont have the time to work on it :(

Welp...I'm going to have to toot the horn with Slipknot, check out an Efco 152. The features, the warranty and the price are all great selling point versus other brands. And I am really, really happy with mine. Granted I am not experienced with the Stihl n Husky options, but I can tell you that the Efco has really impressed me. I'll never pass by the small names to dash to the neon light ones ever again. Next car's a Kia!...well...you know.

For bucking firewood I'll take my 026. But for limbing I'd go with the 346 for it's handling. My 346 was $60 less than a new 260.

Can't beat the 346 for "sideways balance"

But between the 5100, 261, 346, there aint a gnats a$$ difference between them stock. (except the price)

A good filing job on the chain would be more of a deciding factor fo sure.

Its going to be a Stihl 361. I was cutting ALL day and we really need anouther bucking saw. And I talked my brother into a 261 if they ever get em in this area. If not the dealer has a 260. My brother looked at em while I was busy cutting wood. He went to deliver a load, stopped to get bar oil and mix, and now hes trying to convince his wife, and I got to get my tax money.

We will see how the 261 does when it get broke in a little. Right now it will not saw with my 5100 and it is stock but broke in!

We will see how the 261 does when it get broke in a little. Right now it will not saw with my 5100 and it is stock but broke in!
Does your 261 have 200psi cold like alot of 5100's have including the one I had and sold?If my 346 had 200psi cold it would rip I think.I have 173psi cold now.

I have 190 on my 5105 tonight. For that is worth:)

Shoit ... I think I am gona use 45/1 synthetic in my 5105 from now on.

I heard of scores happening too frequently. Figured it was owner malfunction ... but pushing 200 PSI ! ... extra care is wise.

I think I will show the lube love with mine till she drops to 180psi and lower.

In that case something is wrong with your 261. Seriously it should out cut the 5100 pretty easily, not to say the 5100 is a bad saw. I've tested all of the above saws and while the 5100 has great power it's simply not a 346 or 261, and I see this more as fact than opinion.

I have not run the 261, but I have run the 5105, 346, 353, and 260. I do know that the 5105 is almost running with the 346 with the 260 lagging substantially behind. I would, however, love to see what the big hype is with the 261.

Does your 261 have 200psi cold like alot of 5100's have including the one I had and sold?If my 346 had 200psi cold it would rip I think.I have 173psi cold now.

Compression alone will not necessarily = more power, normally yes but it depends on a lot of things, timing being one of them. One thing is for sure, too much compression in a work saw will kill the bottom end no time. Why do you think the newer Dolmar 5105 has less compression? Simple they overheated, spun crank bearings and so on.

Last edited:
I have not run the 261, but I have run the 5105, 346, 353, and 260. I do know that the 5105 is almost running with the 346 with the 260 lagging substantially behind. I would, however, love to see what the big hype is with the 261.

You're right about the big hype thing, it happens all to often here. In normal cutting it's hard to tell the max power difference between the 346, 5100 and the 261 without a stopwatch. The 261 and 5100 do make their power down low, the 346 likes rpm's.

346XP handles great. Very good small size saw...
On the other hand, MS260 and 261 are very reliable saws.
Very hard choice...
I prefer using the 346xp but, If I want a really reliable saw (long term investment), I would go for a MS260 or MS261...

Hmmm, there are no evidence those Stihls are more reliable than the 346xp - it is a 1999 model, and problems have always been few and far between. Carb and choke etc. issues with the MS260 are much more common.
The 261 is new and totally unproven.

You're right about the big hype thing, it happens all to often here. In normal cutting it's hard to tell the max power difference between the 346, 5100 and the 261 without a stopwatch. The 261 and 5100 do make their power down low, the 346 likes rpm's.

Yes, because the 346xp is made for what a 50cc saw really is about, and not as a smaller version of a larger "firewood" saw. :yawn:

Yes, because the 346xp is made for what a 50cc saw really is about, and not as a smaller version of a larger "firewood" saw. :yawn:

AWWW Troll,

Admit it, you really like the 5100 best of all, don't you?

Them saws are close enough, the deciding factor would be the chain/operator.

Back