Best 50cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As always theses POS threads have more BS in them than a bull's intestinal tract. I see nothing new here at all. The FACTS have been given many, many times before. The 261 and 346 NE or OE are both stronger than the 5100, end of story. This is fact not hearsay. Same thing with the 261 vs the 346, the 261 IS stronger than the 346. With that all said, run what you like and stop making useless threads like this, they all cut wood.

Your post is correct, but it's also as big of a waste as these threads FACTS or not :)

As long as we have more than one brand of saw there will be this type of threads.

By the way I have the 3 best 50cc saws ever made 026, MS260 and MS261 :hmm3grin2orange:

TT

I'll see your three 50cc, and raise you six 100cc.

Last edited:
the best 50 cc i have used is my stihl 38 av super it is a monster and there isn't anything it cant cut. stihl's are the best.husqvarna is 2 best.

As always these POS threads have more BS in them than a bull's intestinal tract. I see nothing new here at all. The FACTS have been given many, many times before. The 261 and 346 NE or OE are both stronger than the 5100, end of story. This is fact not hearsay. Same thing with the 261 vs the 346, the 261 IS stronger than the 346. With that all said, run what you like and stop making useless threads like this, they all cut wood.

Pre 261 vid.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wESfuvkGFqU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Cool vid, but I am sure you weren't using the same chain in all the saws, were you?

Also, the saw we are looking at now is the Dolmar 5105, no longer the 5100. As stated, the Stihl is the MS260 as well.

This is just one aspect of the comparison anyway. You should have put all three on a scale too. If I really want to cut fast, I won't be grabbing a 346 anyway. I'll be going for the 372 or 395xp, lol.

I have been cutting a LOT of downed hedge and want a smaller saw for limbing. Thinking of either a 261 or 346. The other saw I use is a ms310. So I already have stihl chains and bars, but i'm also thinking 357 or 361. I may have the early stages of CAD...

if you're serious about cutting hedge, I recommend one of Stihl's DURO chains (carbide) for your limbing saw

work very well, and I can swallow the price to not be sharpening it every hour on hedge

believe it or not I run an MS170 with 14" bar and DURO chain as a limbing saw...it works well

I may be way off base here, I have an 026 and a J/Red version of the 353 and both are good saws. Neither can come close to my 115i Dolmar though. Are the newer Stihls, Dolmars and Huskys that more powerful?

As always these POS threads have more BS in them than a bull's intestinal tract. I see nothing new here at all. The FACTS have been given many, many times before. The 261 and 346 NE or OE are both stronger than the 5100, end of story. This is fact not hearsay. Same thing with the 261 vs the 346, the 261 IS stronger than the 346. With that all said, run what you like and stop making useless threads like this, they all cut wood.

Pre 261 vid.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wESfuvkGFqU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

man that was a good time.

In stock form, both the 346 and 261 are stronger than the 5100/5105. The same applies after my porting too. The worst part about the 5100/5105 is the limited coil.

The 5100 is the stronger saw in bigger wood, it has more low end torque, and will pull a 20 inch bar with authority.

Lets look at these saws this way;

$600 for a new 261=50% better than a $400 5100?

$500+ for a new 346=35%+ better than a 5100?

346/261 have cat mufflers, the 5100 does not.

My dealer has 2 remaining 5100s @ $395+ the Guvnors cut.

Math never lies!

But remember Darling you will look much better and have more friends if you run a Stihl.

And after all, "It's better to look good than to cut good Darling"

Your prices are WAY off! I pay $519 for a MS261 with a 16" B&C. A 346 is $440, but I think that's going up soon.

Although some may be pushing an agenda with their favorite brand, it seems like many are just expressing their opinions on the subject. You may or may not consider them valid. Defining the "best saw" by how fast they cut cookies in your backyard might be one measure of best. For others, maybe it is not. Considering the minor differences in these saws, and the number of variables involved, your use of the terms "FACTS" or "stronger" seem fairly subjective.

IMO (just an opinion), the performance differences between the 346NE and 5100 are very, very minor. To me, the 5100 has a very slight torque advantage to the 346NE, in my case both with 20" bars and 3/8 chain. The 346OE, while it cuts like a light saber, bogs quicker when buried than the other two. This is not surprising since it has 5cc's less displacement. In my opinion, the OE is not quite as good as an all around saw, however as a limbing saw I think it has no peer.

As I stated, I cannot speak to the 261 (yet:silly:).

While it is tiring to hear the cheerleaders with their favorite brands drone on relentlessly regardless of the topic, I just overlook those posts and try to learn what I can from the rest.

Back