Best 50cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your prices are WAY off! I pay $519 for a MS261 with a 16" B&C. A 346 is $440, but I think that's going up soon.

how much do you sell the 346 XP for?
if I`m from Romania, can I buy a saw from you?
I don`t know, you issue a pro forma invoice, I pay it to the bank and you ship it over kinda thing ? maybe do some tunning etc ?

I agree with those who think that until an exhaustive test is performed by a third, reliable party that all brand biases agree upon, we can only express emotion and only to some extend some facts; but then again the fact itself, even if it is truly fact will be regarded as subjective opinion; and even such test will utopically be performed, I`m not sure the result will be unanimously accepted for bias will always prevail reason.

as Margareth Wolfe Hungerford said: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder",
maybe the real question is not "what is the best saw" rather than " what saw makes me the best I can be ? "

@ OP: go find the best saw for you; you know where to look, the options were shown to you by this fine gentleman and good luck, cut wood and post picture.

cheers.

I have been both watched and very much enjoyed Brad`s video. Thumbs up. Good job.
I have one technically question:
if you make two cuts in a square wood, one you go parallel to upper and lower face and the other one diagonally, the result is the same?

I have been both watched and very much enjoyed Brad`s video. Thumbs up. Good job.
if you make two cuts in a square wood, one you go parallel to upper and lower face and the other one diagonally, the result is the same?

Very unlikely, but I never tried.

Last edited:
Your prices are WAY off! I pay $519 for a MS261 with a 16" B&C. A 346 is $440, but I think that's going up soon.

Wow , brad,

I got the price off the Stihl website $559.95 for 18" bar plus the tax that most of us pay puts us close enough to $600.

And your price of $440 for a 346 is kinda,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOW.

And my price on the 5100s is kinda low too, but it is what it is.

I'm sure these are all good 50cc saws, to say one trumps the other in all conditions and catagories is quite biased.

But I sure hope all this hype brings you in a bunch of buisness, I do have the utmost respect for your self promotion.

Good Day!

I would also like to know?I have some racing to do Febuary 19,2011.

Lets look at these saws this way;

$600 for a new 261=50% better than a $400 5100?

$500+ for a new 346=35%+ better than a 5100?

346/261 have cat mufflers, the 5100 does not.

My dealer has 2 remaining 5100s @ $395+ the Guvnors cut.

Math never lies!

But remember Darling you will look much better and have more friends if you run a Stihl.

And after all, "It's better to look good than to cut good Darling"

Wow , brad,

I got the price off the Stihl website $559.95 for 18" bar plus the tax that most of us pay puts us close enough to $600.

And your price of $440 for a 346 is kinda,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOW.

And my price on the 5100s is kinda low too, but it is what it is.

I'm sure these are all good 50cc saws, to say one trumps the other in all conditions and catagories is quite biased.

But I sure hope all this hype brings you in a bunch of buisness, I do have the utmost respect for your self promotion.

Good Day!
What's this have to do with hype or self promotion? Your facts and your math are simply way off, that's all. You used MSRP + tax on the Stihl and Husky and a discounted price without tax on the 5100. The prices I pay on those two models aren't special prices for me either.

$519 for a new 261=30% more than a $400 5100, not 50%.

$440 for a new 346=10% more than a $400 5100, not 35%?

Also, no 261s have cat mufflers, and I've never bought a 346 with one either. BTW, when it's all said and done, with the 5100 you're still stuck with a limited coil on the 5100. For that reason alone, I won't own one.

Last edited:
What's this have to do with hype or self promotion? Your facts and your math are simply way off, that's all. You used MSRP + tax on the Stihl and Husky and a discounted price without tax on the 5100. The prices I pay on those two models aren't special prices for me either.

$519 for a new 261=30% more than a $400 5100, not 50%.

$440 for a new 346=10% more than a $400 5100, not 35%?

Also, no 261s have cat mufflers, and I've never bought a 346 with one either. BTW, when it's all said and done, with the 5100 you're still stuck with a limited coil on the 5100. For that reason alone, I won't own one.

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me brad,

I didn't have your price list when I made the post earlier.
And I apoligize for the cat statement on the 261.

But there aint no way in hades that the 261 is even 25% better than the 5100.

Go pound sand my brother.

And be a REAL patriot and give Ceasar his due!

By the way;

At your price the 346 is 111% + 11% more tax than the Dolmar

And the 261 is 131% + 31% more tax than the price of the Dolmar

I DON'T use saws to cut cookies by the way.

All good saws, but like I said earlier, ain't a gnats arse difference between all three.

Now where'a that number for the IRS?

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me brad,

I didn't have your price list when I made the post earlier.
And I apoligize for the cat statement on the 261.

But there aint no way in hades that the 261 is even 25% better than the 5100.

Go pound sand my brother.

And be a REAL patriot and give Ceasar his due!

By the way;

At your price the 346 is 111% + 11% more tax than the Dolmar

And the 261 is 131% + 31% more tax than the price of the Dolmar

I DON'T use saws to cut cookies by the way.

All good saws, but like I said earlier, ain't a gnats arse difference between all three.

Now where'a that number for the IRS?

Whatever dude. You're the one that posted all the misinfomation. Now you want to cover your butt with all these pathetic empty cat strikes. And your math is still wrong. $40 is 10% more than $400, not 11%. BTW, I do pay taxes on any saw I buy locally. Besides, what does that have to do with anything?

I'm done with you. Keep covering your butt.

What is it about Brad that brings out the hate in everybody? lol!!

I didn't know the 5100 had a limited coil. The 5105 doesn't, or if it does it is high enough that it doesn't make a difference. I can lean mine out and get it to 15k RPM if I want to. It does have a cat, but I am going to try taking that out.

I didn't know the 5100 had a limited coil. The 5105 doesn't, or if it does it is high enough that it doesn't make a difference. I can lean mine out and get it to 15k RPM if I want to. It does have a cat, but I am going to try taking that out.

The 5105 is rev-limited lower than the 5100, IIRC. The 5105 also has a cat muffler now, that the 5100 did not.

Just go buy a 660. Who needs 50cc saws anyways. :beer:

I think alot of guys on here support thier brands over anything else. I do too if I think my saw is the better choice. Such as my 361 over the 60cc class. But thats JMO also.

BS threads remind me of this Indian fable I once heard.

"The mountain lion came down from the mountain one day and found two bulls fighting in the field. He waited till they were tired and then eat them both. Laying around stuffed and happy, he let out a mighty roar. The farmers, looking for thier bulls, followed the roars of the lion, and shot him dead."
Moral of the story: if your mouth is full of bull, keep it shut! :)

Last edited:

Brad just tell it like he feels it is, even when he knows it won'
t be popular with everyone - nothing wrong with that!:wink:

The early 5105s had a 14500 rpm limiter and no cat as I recall it - the newer US ones have a 13800 rpm limiter.

I am glad I ordered my new 346xp before I read all this and watched these vidios because after this I would be so confussed I would jusy say to heck with it and go buy a wild thing. These saws are all so close I would run them all and buy the one that feels the best. No two people are the same and no two saws feel the same.

Back