Best 50cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets look at these saws this way;

$600 for a new 261=50% better than a $400 5100?

$500+ for a new 346=35%+ better than a 5100?

346/261 have cat mufflers, the 5100 does not.

My dealer has 2 remaining 5100s @ $395+ the Guvnors cut.

Math never lies!

But remember Darling you will look much better and have more friends if you run a Stihl.

And after all, "It's better to look good than to cut good Darling"

According to manufacturer's specs, the 5105 weighs less than an MS261, and it has more power than a MS261.

If you get the Stihl, be sure to get a couple extra pairs of pants, so you can change when the flippy cap comes undone and ruins them, lol.

Ok look here is why the 261 is the BEST! It is because it says STIHL on it!:silly: It is just like a lot of guys around here they have drank the koolaid. Look it is a nice looking saw and I have no doubt it will be a dependable saw.

However lets look at what the 5100 has done to the competition!

When the 5100 came out who was it's real competitor in performance? Redmax 5000 maybe? Stihl had nothing Husky had nothing really.

What happend the 346 got reworked into the good performer it is today to compete and now stihl has something to compete!

Are they better than a 5100/05 answer NO. But they appeal to those die hard fans so competition is good for everyone.

Math never lies!

But remember Darling you will look much better and have more friends if you run a Stihl.

261 and the non-e-tech 346xp do not have cat muff. Have heard the e-tech has been dropped. It has also been very easy to get a non-cat 346xp, my dealer has not had a cat 346 in the last two years, but sold many.

Ok look here is why the 261 is the BEST! It is because it says STIHL on it!:silly: It is just like a lot of guys around here they have drank the koolaid. Look it is a nice looking saw and I have no doubt it will be a dependable saw.

However lets look at what the 5100 has done to the competition!

When the 5100 came out who was it's real competitor in performance? Redmax 5000 maybe? Stihl had nothing Husky had nothing really.

What happend the 346 got reworked into the good performer it is today to compete and now stihl has something to compete!

Are they better than a 5100/05 answer NO. But they appeal to those die hard fans so competition is good for everyone.
Guess you have never run a old 346xp. Mine will run right with a new one and maybe cut a bit faster. :)

According to manufacturer's specs, the 5105 weighs less than an MS261, and it has more power than a MS261.

If you get the Stihl, be sure to get a couple extra pairs of pants, so you can change when the flippy cap comes undone and ruins them, lol.

Dolmar specs seldom are true, and specially not so in the US.

Not all other specs are either, but they are not off in the same systematical way.

I was only a dealer for them never ran one though:bulgy-eyes: Again it would run with a 5100 if you ran 325 on the 5100 and kept it in smaller wood.

Dolmar specs seldom are true, and specially not so in the US.

Not all other specs are either, but they are not off in the same systematical way.

You are right again ole' Boy, The Dolmar specs back in the '80s were way off base fo sure.

Not so much with the ratings these days. I am sure my 143 has no where near 10 H.P. or my three 153s for that matter.

But the hoot over the new Stihl is laughable, we have people touting their dependability???????????????????????

The 5100 will flat out put the 026/MS260 to shame, The 346 is NOT heads and tails above the 5100 either.

But hey, run with what ya brung, they all will put wood in the truck, and will all fail if not cared for.

But hey, run with what ya brung, they all will put wood in the truck, and will all fail if not cared for.

That's the truth.

And the bigger truth is that in reality, there is NO "best" 50cc out there. All of the saws mentioned are real good, and we all have our favorites, but none of them have enough advantages over the others to be declared as being the "best".

That's the truth.

And the bigger truth is that in reality, there is NO "best" 50cc out there. All of the saws mentioned are real good, and we all have our favorites, but none of them have enough advantages over the others to be declared as being the "best".

Well said. I don't think anyone is giving away 260s, 261s, 5100s or 346s so buy what ya want. For the time being, I'm sticking with my 026, no sight of a 261 yet.

That's the truth.

I agree with this statement...we all have our favorite 50cc saw. I like the efco....but truth be told I have a soft spot for a pioneer p26...its an oldie but a goodie...dang things are light for a 50cc saw. Im sure others will ask whats wrong with me....I just like how light they are and there balance and best of all...how cheap you can get one at a yard sale. But ill tell ya now they arent the fastest 50cc....they only spin 9000rpm.

Very well put. This is an ongoing argument that will never be satisfied! I can remember growing up and my dad was a jonsereds fan and I was an olympic fan. We still have our discussions about those days. and even the old mcculloch vs everything else converstations. Lets face it chainsaws are addictive:lashes:

Very well put. This is an ongoing argument that will never be satisfied! I can remember growing up and my dad was a jonsereds fan and I was an olympic fan. We still have our discussions about those days. and even the old mcculloch vs everything else converstations. Lets face it chainsaws are addictive:lashes:

dayumm skippy!! I want more chainsaws too....I like yellow saws for some reason...they dont have to be macs either....

Math never lies!

True but people do. Where are you getting that a 261 sells for 600.00? Tell me Darling is this 12 or 6, seems you don't know the differance anyway,LOLOLOL

True but people do. Where are you getting that a 261 sells for 600.00? Tell me Darling is this 12 or 6, seems you don't know the differance anyway,LOLOLOL

Here you are looking at $579 for a 261 with a 20" bar. Maybe you could get that down to around $530 or so. I may have to pick one up sometime, after the budget recovers from the last CAD purchase.

346's (most new ones I see now don't have cat mufflers) can be had for around $460; the 5105's come in at around $480 - but those have the cats that probably have to be ditched. The 5100's are long gone. So, street prices considered, the 261 is still a good $50-70 more than the competition.

I can't speak to the 261, but they sure look like runners from what I've seen here. They feel nice in the shop, and seem pretty close the the 346NE and 5100 size wise. I have the 5100, 346 OE, and NE, all stock and no cats. From these 3, the 5100 seems a bit stronger than the others, and will happily run a 20" 3/8 all day. The OE is my favorite limber, is light, and cuts like a laser with a 16" .325 bar. The OE has noticeably less torque than the NE, which seems to have less grunt than the 5100.

All are great saws. Even and "old" 260 is a good peformer. Put a few extra holes in the muffler, and let it breathe. With a 16" 3/8 bar it ran like a champ. I sold an older 260 that had seen a lot of hours, and it was probably my most reliable saw.

And going out on a limb, by a small margin, the Stihl's seem to have the best quality of the bunch. I run Dolmars and Huskies too, but Stihl just looks to have a slight edge in build quality.

Regarding the OP, if I were buying new today I would look at the 346NE and MS261, and see which one feels best. The 346OE and 5100 are gone. With Dolmar, I am having an increasingly difficult time finding a real dealer. It used to be worth the hunt as the 7900 and 5100 are such great performers and were excellent buys. Now that the prices have gone up considerably, not so much.

As always these POS threads have more BS in them than a bull's intestinal tract. I see nothing new here at all. The FACTS have been given many, many times before. The 261 and 346 NE or OE are both stronger than the 5100, end of story. This is fact not hearsay. Same thing with the 261 vs the 346, the 261 IS stronger than the 346. With that all said, run what you like and stop making useless threads like this, they all cut wood.

Pre 261 vid.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wESfuvkGFqU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Last edited:
As always theses POS threads have more BS in them than a bull's intestinal tract. I see nothing new here at all. The FACTS have been given many, many times before. The 261 and 346 NE or OE are both stronger than the 5100, end of story. This is fact not hearsay. Same thing with the 261 vs the 346, the 261 IS stronger than the 346. With that all said, run what you like and stop making useless threads like this, they all cut wood.

Your post is correct, but it's also as big of a waste as these threads FACTS or not :)

As long as we have more than one brand of saw there will be this type of threads.

By the way I have the 3 best 50cc saws ever made 026, MS260 and MS261 :hmm3grin2orange:

TT

As always theses POS threads have more BS in them than a bull's intestinal tract. I see nothing new here at all. The FACTS have been given many, many times before. The 261 and 346 NE or OE are both stronger than the 5100, end of story. This is fact not hearsay. Same thing with the 261 vs the 346, the 261 IS stronger than the 346. With that all said, run what you like and stop making useless threads like this, they all cut wood.

Pre 261 vid.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wESfuvkGFqU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Nice vid.How did that 372 do?

Latest posts

Back