BEST 60cc saw ever built !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, if anyone has some run time on a KMS4, 58cc’s, where would it fall? I’ve got to go get one my friends landlord gave me. Been sitting under his bench since the 70’s. He said it’s heavy and a gas hog. Sounds like all rotary engines. But, they tend to be quite powerful for their displacement.
It would fall right between you selling it to me and you selling it to me.

I agree 361 with muffler mod is a great saw. Been my go-to saw I bought new in 2004 I have a lot of maintenance free tanks of fuel through it. Still going strong that being said my new ms400 feels just as light and is more powerful hope it lasts as long.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

We think a like. No doubt the 262xp is one bad mofo. It's so good that even Stihl copied it and made the 361.

I ran my stock 361 and 262 side by side one day in a nice dry ash log (probably a 16-18" log). Both had 20" bars with new EXL chain. They were neck and neck, but the 262 ended up winning by about 1 second on the third cookie, IIRC.

Both are awesome saws, and I miss both of them. Can't keep'em all unfortunately, unless I want to live alone ;)

I would agree, these two are some of the best 60cc saws made.

I've also heard the 562 is a pretty awesome saw. Ugly, but good.

After a few years to think on this ill now say 70-75cc is hands down a far better 60cc saw
Maybe you might come around to a different opinion with a few more years of thinking, which, inevitably will be accompanied with growing hurt as you get out of bed every morning, the longer you think about it the more pain is likely. I am 62 and have been getting in fire wood for every one of the last 38 winters. Our winters are fairly mild here in northern Ca. but the topography, at least where I live is rather extreme. We get by with 4 to 5 cords of hardwood. For 20 years I was a one saw guy. The old 353 was totally reliable it had a 20" bar, in any kind of oak over 12" dia. it was slow and then slower. I bought a Dolmar 6100 and put a 24" bar on it. Eventually, I got wise to the fact that 12+" hard wood and 20+" soft wood should be milled into lumber and not shoved into a wood stove, so I bought a 36" Grandberg mill and 390xp. For a while I was going out for fire wood with all 3 saws. The 6100 with a 24" bar was an under achiever, the 390xp with a 24" bar was a monster and I would break it out as long as the log was laying on the road. Then 2 years ago I scored a lightly used 359 at a garage sale, I took the 24"x 3/8" bar it came with off and replaced it with the new 20"x .325" bar I had recently bought for the 353, along with a 9 pin rim sprocket. I bought a new Tsu-mura 18" bar for the 353. Both saws work way better with shorter bars and in the 359's case, lighter chain and higher chain speed. It soars through 14" oak with a sharp LPX chain. So now the 390xp stays at home bolted into the mill, the 6100 powers the Lewis winch. And the brand new 572xp I bought for the edging mill, comes along with us and a 24" bar, but usually remains in the truck, because the 359 just rips and is nearly 3 lbs lighter.

Old thread but after running just about everything out there and not being impressed
I went back to the 2 series which is a 60cc chassis
Ported 266 all day long.
Nice, my point was that any 60cc saw with a 20"x .325" bar and a well sharpened chain, Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonserd, what ever, will outperform any 70cc saw in terms of fatigue prevention, with 14" dia. hardwood, softwood or candy canes. to say a 60cc saw is not worth owning is both pointless and stupid. Maybe I'll get my old dysfunctional 3120 built in1986, running soon and I'll, be able to address the inadequate nature of every saw smaller than 100cc.

Nice, my point was that any 60cc saw with a 20"x .325" bar and a well sharpened chain, Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonserd, what ever, will outperform any 70cc saw in terms of fatigue prevention, with 14" dia. hardwood, softwood or candy canes. to say a 60cc saw is not worth owning is both pointless and stupid. Maybe I'll get my old dysfunctional 3120 built in1986, running soon and I'll, be able to address the inadequate nature of every saw smaller than 100cc.
14" wood to me is 50cc saw territory.
And your fatigue comment depends greatly on what saws we are talking about.

Call me the odd ball... I own a pair of 359's, a pair of 550xp's, ran a host of stuff... in this class the saw to beat is the stihl ms400c... hands down. More hp, great on fuel. What's not to love??
Ported…….Brad posted a video. And just posted a video with a 3/4 wrap setup
Will probably have a 28” cannon light
Chain size is still under study

Latest posts

Back