Best all around chainsaw for under $400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ucrtwf

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
The title says it all. I'm in the market for a new saw. I've used several brands and am looking for help from people who "know". I won't buy a cheap (Sears, poulan, etc.), but I can't spend $600+ either. My tree duties will include firewood, moderate sized trees (most less than 24"), basic trimming and cutting assorted trees down. I won't use it every day, but I don't want to skimp on quality. When I need it, I'll need it to work. I'm thinking 18" bar, if I can get a 20" with an engine to pull it, I'd probably choose the larger bar. Again, I appreciate quality, durability and longevity of the saw, but simply can't justify a "high end" unit.
Any and all thoughts are much appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Tim

$400 to spend...

Stihl: MS290/310, MS280 (if you can get a deal on it)

Husqvarna: 359, assuming they can still be had for $400 +/-

Dolmar: 5100s

Of the lot, the 5100s or 290/310 would probably give you the most bang for the buck, and be able to pull a 20" bar competently (albeit not with the enthusiasm of a larger machine).

Your best bet, however, would be a good used saw. For $400 you should be able to get a good used Stihl 036 or 044, or a similar Husqvarna, and be much better off in the long run.

Swing over to the Chainsaw forum and do some searching, there have been many folks in the same boat as you, and lots of good answers!

Thanks guys! This is just what I was looking for. I'll stop by a few dealers and see what they can set me up with.
Again, thanks a bunch!
Tim

Watch Ebay... you can get some good deals there as well as some duds.

I got my 394 there for under $400 and it has been an AWESOME addition to the arsenal.

When deciding on a brand, think about where you'll get good dealer support after the sale (if buying new). If you're more of a do-it-yourselfer, it might not be important...you just might need a place to get parts.

Kevin

MS 290/310. After a while, you may want to look into a muffler mod. I hear it's definately worth it. I'm actually getting ready to do the muffler on my 310 pretty soon.

Dolmar 5100. Few saws have gotten as much praise on this site as this little powerhouse.

I would also recommend looking into a used MS 361. According to many, it's the end all be all of chainsaws.

You're going to get a lot of good advice here. These guys really know their stuff.

Good luck!!

:cheers:

And don't let anyone sway you towards a particular brand. Find what you like and check out the dealer support. Stihl, Dolmar, and Husky all make some great saws.

EDIT: Don't forget about Jonsereds

Last edited:
Might take a look at the Stihl 310 - A little heavier than the 290. Lots of power. Mine has been a good all around saw.

Hal

Yes, a very good saw with a 20" bar. For some reason the dealers try to push it out the door with a 24"...at least the two I talked to. It will haul a 24 acceptably but only with a full skip chain.

Harry K

Yes, a very good saw with a 20" bar. For some reason the dealers try to push it out the door with a 24"...at least the two I talked to. It will haul a 24 acceptably but only with a full skip chain.

Harry K

Really? 24"? My dealer told me 18" would be perfect, 20" would be great, but never said anything about 24". It handles great with a 20", but I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone pulling 24" with a 310. People that get into big enough wood for a skip chain to be useful should consider a bigger saw.

Last edited:
Used Pro Saw

My recommendation is getting a used Stihl in 034/036/361 range. They will pull a 20" bar easily. If you opt to buy new, you will only get a homeowner grade for that price. A good used pro saw will last you a lifetime. Just my opinion. BTW... I have two such saws, an 034 and a ms440.

Darn...my dealer sold me my 310 with an 18 inch bar....wish I had gotten the 20....

My dealer had my 310 on the shelf with a 20" on it. I told him I wanted in with an 18" bar. He set me up with the bar I wanted and never even tried to put the green chain on. Just a brand new loop of RSC. I've already got a couple loops of 24" Oregon LP made up. Might have to look into the full skip if the LP won't perform. Just have to buy the bar. I wanted more seperation between bar selection when I would switch up to the 24".

BTW, the current price on the 310 is $399.95 w/20" which would obviously max the budget. My budget was also $400 and it was the most saw and best dealer I could buy for the $400.

Ditto on the Stihl Farm Boss 290. I like it with a 16" bar, 18" if you don't push it. Pete

Back