Best Bang for my buck on limbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything in the 50cc class or smaller (like your 271) would be considered a limbing saw by many people here.

What do you want to do with this new saw? What about your 271 doesn't meet your needs? Is your goal simply to add a zippy lightweight saw for limbing?

261 and 346 are my limbing saws. I sold a 270 last winter for 200 with an 18" bar. One if my cutting buddies has a 260 with 20" bar for his limbing saw. Once you get used to the weight and power you won't want to eunn less of a saw. He has a bad back and likes the longer bar as there is less reaching and bending. That's my two cents. Save a hundred bucks a year and when your 271 pukes go buy a new pro saw.

for cheap maybe a new wildthing type (strato) poulan 40cc add a 14" bar and saw away, im short dont need long bars :biggrin:

the 310 echo is a good small saw ($200), I have a cs370, well two cs370's ($269) i use them for limbing and small stuff thay run great!!

I do, a 192 or MS170 will cut through 6 " wood if your patience , plus they're built cheap.steve

His 271 will zip through 6" wood, I think he is trying to improve his comfort delimbing and the like.
Last winter I carried with and used quite a bit a beat up older 170 with a 12" bar cutting on steep icey ditch banks where it was often likely I might need to ditch the saw to try and save my own self from harm. Not so hard woods like Cherry, Silver Maple, Mulberry etc. cut through 6" plenty fast with a sharp chain and its a piece of cake keeping a 12" chain almost perfectly sharp most the time just knocking down the trees. I had along an 026,034,044,046,660 and later a little Efco 14". Didn't use the 017 much the first day or 2 but I observed how much the farmer working with me got done with a couple 40ish cc Poulans and switched to using the 170 mostly when there was a lot of trees 6ish and under. Was quite a bit easier and safer for me . When I needed to cut bigger, harder wood I'd match another saw to the conditions. If you cut enough in adverse conditions, sooner or later you will have a saw accidently it'll end up on the wrong side of a tree trunk . No sense in over kill using more saw then you need in these conditions unless you like spending more money when replacing and fixing saws. I find plenty of other situations I like the 170's for that makes 1 or something similar great to have with.

Husky 44 if you can find one, poulan 25, or if you like stihls an 009 can usually be had for cheap with a little looking any of these can be found for well under $200.

the ms270 is a good saw for what it is.I would much rather have a 270/280 over a 290/310/390 or 210/230/250.The ms 270 still wouldn't hold a light to my Husky 55 even after a Muffler Mod.After the Muffler Mod though I preferred it over my 455 Husky and I liked the 455.

The 346ne would sure be a improvement over a MS271 but it still weighs about 2# more than a Echo CS400 ready to cut. When you get to be a old fart 2# is a lot of difference. I'd guess if he got a CS400 muff modded and tuned that 271 would sit a lot. Steve

MS271 (50.2cc) = 12.3 lbs. pho
346XP (50.1cc) = 10.6 lbs. pho
CS400 (40.2cc) = 10.1 lbs. pho

I agree that 2 lbs is a big difference, but I'm talking Almost 10cc's more than the Echo for only 0.5 lbs difference. Plus the 346XP has a very fast throttle response, and the outboard clutch makes for good balance when cutting at odd angles.

MS271 (50.2cc) = 12.3 lbs. pho
346XP (50.1cc) = 10.6 lbs. pho
CS400 (40.2cc) = 10.1 lbs. pho

I agree that 2 lbs is a big difference, but I'm talking Almost 10cc's more than the Echo for only 0.5 lbs difference. Plus the 346XP has a very fast throttle response, and the outboard clutch makes for good balance when cutting at odd angles.

Redmax GZ4000 9 lbs. 10.6 OZ:

The 3800 weighs a hair less than the GZ4000 but responds to mods quite well. Unless you go with a narrow kerf setup on a 16" bar, a 346 typically has heavier bars,chains, etc.

Just a few things.

The 170 and 192 have the same engine. So no use spending more on the same power.

Since the 180 is still supposed to be available in the US I would definately get that one. Same size as the 170 but with 2 versus 1.7 hp. It works nice as a limber. see link.

[video=youtube;vVRLdrQcrsU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVRLdrQcrsU[/video]

BTW that saw still runs like that today!

Further the quality in the small saws is probably more or less equal in this class amoung the established producers. Usually you can get the major players (Stihl & Husqvarna) for a major price. The other minor players (Dolmar=Makita, Echo=Shindaiwa, Efco=Oleo Mac, Hitachi=Tanka, Solo) can often be found for less money in equal power range.
It rather boils down to if you want a more modern(strato) or conventional 2 stroke.
Antoher recomendation hardly heard anymore, but was once the small saw to have is the Stihl 211(strato). Although nowadays I would prefer the Dolmar PS 35(conventional 2 stroke).

Good luck!

Last edited:
I think I have it narrowed down to the following with a 14" bar. The echo's 5 year warranty really has my attention.

Stihl MS 170
Stihl MS 180
Echo CS 310
Echo CS 352

I had a MS 211 with 14" blade. It was too big for 2"-6" wood, too small for 10"-14" wood. With a decent 50cc saw already in your arsenal, I would go with the MS 192 T C-E.

ditch the echo cs310 off the list. why buy a smaller engine in the same chassis as the 352?

You'd have too rule out the MS170 also. The CS352 would be a great saw for what he's doing. Also anyone that thinks the small Stihls have anywhere near the quality of the small Echo saws has not had both apart or has had their eyes shut when they did. I'd still go with the CS400 as they really cut and are light, handle great, start great, reasonable + reasonable parts. I have a Redmax 40cc over here, nice engine but don't like the rest of the saw. Steve

You'd have too rule out the MS170 also. The CS352 would be a great saw for what he's doing. Also anyone that thinks the small Stihls have anywhere near the quality of the small Echo saws has not had both apart or has had their eyes shut when they did. I'd still go with the CS400 as they really cut and are light, handle great, start great, reasonable + reasonable parts. I have a Redmax 40cc over here, nice engine but don't like the rest of the saw. Steve
Hi 'mountainlake'...haven't spoke to you for a while..good to see you posting.

Anyways...just got to ask why you recommend the cs400 over the cs450...

On eBay..there's like ~ $50 difference in price and 5 more cc's..then goes waay up on cs500

So is there a reason you prefer the 400 over the 450..just curious..450 is best bank for buck IMHO

You know I don't hate Echo saws...just upper management...the product itself is very good
(still sometimes use my 1980's something trimmer...starts like day one...just duct tape holds it together..LOL)
:cheers:...take care bro..!!
J2F

With the .325 on the CS450 and the 3/8 lp on the Cs400 the Cs400 cuts just as fast plus the Cs400 ready to cut is 13# vs about 15 # for the Cs450. The big thing is the weight as the CS400 doesn't wear you out, when your as old as me a couple # matter. The CS450 would cut faster with a 6 tooth 3/8 lp setup but I don't think they make a drive sprocket like that. Steve

With the .325 on the CS450 and the 3/8 lp on the Cs400 the Cs400 cuts just as fast plus the Cs400 ready to cut is 13# vs about 15 # for the Cs450. The big thing is the weight as the CS400 doesn't wear you out, when your as old as me a couple # matter. The CS450 would cut faster with a 6 tooth 3/8 lp setup but I don't think they make a drive sprocket like that. Steve
Tell me about it..."youngblood"..LOL..!!...I'm coming up on 67 yrs..and exactly why all my saws are lightweight

026..about 10.5 lb...036..about 12.5lb...that's PHO of course - -real muscle but still light weight

I was asking as the Echo site showed only a pound difference..but that's advertising for you..I'd guess..??

Back when we were fighting...I thought you were much younger - - sure do hit hard for an..."older citizen"..:msp_thumbup:
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Echo CS3900

You forgot about the Echo CS3900 with a 16" bar, 39 cc and .325 pitch chain. So has everyone else except me. This little puppy is the best limbing saw I have ever owned. No, it's not a top handle, but that's the breaks:

Heck, it will pull an 18" bar, but I've ever bought one for it.

Latest posts

Back