Best Chain for Husqvarna 36

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobR45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have had a Husqvarna 36 for a few years, and I would like to know what you guys think would be the best chain for this model. I am kind of partial to Oregon chains because when I got this saw a few years ago, my father got me a couple of Oregon chains to go along with the stock chain. I have gotten to the point where all three of my chains have pretty much had the course! I was examining the bar of the saw, and it had a few numbers on it that might be useful 530-044508 QL and another set of numbers below that which read 16 91. The bar itself has about 14 inches of effective cutting length. I would like a good all-purpose chain that is somewhat aggressive. What would be my best options? Thanks a lot.

-Robert

Try this

I am going to endorse wally world, so the rest if the gang will start bashing me any minute. I have the same saw, with the same bar. Go to wally world, look for the pull-on display area. They should stock oregon chains. You want the "S56", this is the same as 91VG, I checked with the factory. Agressive as he!! and none of that safety bumper link garbage. Lowes (at least around here) also carries these guys. It was about 12 bucks for a single or 21 for a double pack. I have been very impressed, especially since this is theoretically consumer chain. It does have a slight bump on the drive link, but bore cuts like nothing I've seen.

Forget the 91VG, order a couple of loops of 91VX from Amicks. Last I ordered in the 56 dl were $9.90. Got them for a buddies Poulan saw and man what a difference in speed and longevity. If you really don't mind spending the money the best on the market is probably the Stihl PMN chain.

Forget the 91VG, order a couple of loops of 91VX from Amicks. Last I ordered in the 56 dl were $9.90. Got them for a buddies Poulan saw and man what a difference in speed and longevity. If you really don't mind spending the money the best on the market is probably the Stihl PMN chain.

Yes, 91VX (not VG), or Stihl 63PM (not PM1 or 3).....

Make sure you get the correct number of drive links, count them if nesessary.....

Last edited:
Forget the 91VG, order a couple of loops of 91VX from Amicks. Last I ordered in the 56 dl were $9.90.
The bar 530044508 is a Husqvarna number, it cross references to a windsor 16PKU50SSR which is a 16" bar .050 gauge using low profile 3/8" chain. A 91VX Oregon chain with 56 drive links would be the fastest cutting.

Thanks for all your help. It was appreciated. I am going to purchase some Oregon 91vx chains (56 drive links) online. I definitely have a lot to learn.

-Robert

I knew it would happen

I knew the guys would rip me up for recommending a consumer chain. I haven't tried the 91VX yet. Just thought I would list something that you could get by running down the road. Pro chain will always outcut the consumer stuff, but I like to know what is available locally if I am in a pinch and need a loop.

Back