Best chain sharpener.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvanbek

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have started cutting a lot more. I have a Granberg. I don't like it, it is slow. I think I would prefer to sharpen on the saw, but I am open minded. Fast and good, is what I want, I will spend the money. So what sharpener to get?

Also how many times should I be able to sharpen a 20" chain per file?

They want to spend the money but they don't want to take the time. The latter is much more important than the former. And then you will be fine with just a round file.

BTW, which Granberg do you have? When some one says Granberg sharpener, I think of their filing jig but it could be the rotary tool as well.

I have sold a great many of these. Homeowners to the pros seem to like how simple and quick it is.

c8289b1acdb14d63896554c1e15c5ad8.jpg

I had a couple of those 2in1 sharpeners. Definitely quick but I couldn't get a consistent tooth. I ended up going with a FG2 Stihl and really like the adjustability and the profile. The chains cut really nice.

I swear up and down by the husqvarna roller guide. I have 3 now, they are my go-to sharpener. They are just as fast as hand filing for me. The Granberg is excellent as well, it does a better job if you take the time to set it up, but it slower.

There are too many variables in how long your files will last, but I find mine last for about 8 or 9 uses before I toss them.

I have the granberg filing jig. And yes I want faster. I do have multiple chains for each saw, there for an off-the-saw sharpener would be ok.

The Pferd or Stihl sharpeners are great. The one in the photo above works very well. I purchased the Stihl because they were cheaper than ordering the Pferd. Not having to switch the files around for switching sides of the chain may seem trivial however it is a true blessing. The system is also a bit more rigid than the old single side.​

Never cared for any of the clamp on the bar disc sharpeners or any of the electric rotary tool types. The double sided file guides are way faster for me and they keep the depth gauges in check as you go.

Way to many viariables for a solid number for on how long a file should last. Lots of people seem to believe a new file for a new chain, I say it lasts as long as it lasts. Still using the original files in the Stihl file guides however they have taken many chains from new to scrap.

As a collector of chainsaws I end up with all types of sharpening "tools", I use my bench mounted grinders for fixing up chains, the Stihl double sided guides for maintaining, various depth gauge devices and files with a handle when needed(square,skip,etc.). The grandbergs and such are neat, just never use them.

If you have a Dremel tool, their chain sharpening kit is truly worth having. Fast and good: first couple of times I have used it I was actually surprised at how good the results were.

I've had good luck with the Husky type roller guides. Been using them since the early 80's. Still have an original with the hardened rollers, but it's kinda tough on files. The clamp on plate style as pictured in post 12 works good too. I can free hand file, but I always go too deep. THe roller guide keeps the file up where it belongs.

I use s 3 tool approach depending on what I need. I use a tecomic grinder on loose chain. A dremel tool on some damaged chains in field I run it with a inverter off my truck, and a loose set of hand files for the quick touch ups.

for on the chain sharpening i find the timberline sharpener gets a razor sharp tooth. once the chain dulls in the field i use the sthil two in one sharpener for fast touch ups.

I have the 410. I am happy with it for what it is. Grinds a good enough chain, but you have to be careful with the set up and double check everything. I find the adjustment for how much you take off the tooth has a lot of slop, but if you set it up the same way it works well enough and is more precise then hand filing.

I noticed after Christmas my local northern tool had several Oregon grinders marked down to 209 each. You might want to check locally if you have a store around.

Latest posts

Back