best chipper size with bmg grapple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here's a pic of the roller set up on the 1890. I don't see how a flat, non-live floor would be advantageous in anyway in comparison to this setup. How much bigger of a feed wheel can woodsman fit in there LOL? Plus, ALL the crush force one could ever want is sitting right there on top of that upper wheel, and is fully adjustable..

View attachment 203046

Last edited:
And here's a pic of the roller set up on the 1890. I don't see how a flat, non-live floor would be advantageous in anyway in comparison to this setup. How much bigger of a feed wheel can woodsman fit in there LOL? Plus, ALL the crush force one could ever want is sitting right there on top of that upper wheel, and is fully adjustable..

thats a small opening....

you in the neighborhood. take a day off and go find anyone of our crews out working and watch the chippers do their job.

sure you got a nice machine, i'll give you that but it can't chip with a woodsman.

we got a brand new 1890 brute at the shop too and it goes out with d crew. i'd take the 9k houred woodsman 20xx out before that machine if we eating alot of trees.

i wouldn't lie to ya.

thats a small opening....

you in the neighborhood. take a day off and go find anyone of our crews out working and watch the chippers do their job.

sure you got a nice machine, i'll give you that but it can't chip with a woodsman.

we got a brand new 1890 brute at the shop too and it goes out with d crew. i'd take the 9k houred woodsman 20xx out before that machine if we eating alot of trees.

i wouldn't lie to ya.

Nope, not saying you would lie. This is all for info purposes anyway, not a swinging #### length argument LOL. When I start getting into regular crane work, I'll probably take the pepsi challenge with a newer machine with a loader. I'm up at Mayer often, I've seen Tim wrenching on their Woodsman, it's an impressive sight indeed. Has yours suffered any "premature wear" as the others have stated above? What is your impression on build quality?

you are all missing the point of the single feed wheel systen that woodsman runs.morbark,bandit or any other chipper uses two feed wheels,also uses two different feed motors,which equals less hydraulic horsepower especially under a heavy load,like chipping whole trees.woodsman deletes the extra feed wheel and extra drive motor and concentrates all of its hyrdraulic hp on CRUSHING.think about it,what jams your chipper up when you feed it? its not the large diameter logs...its the brush and tops. it depends on what your company is geared for. if you do 80% pruning and plant health care then chances are you dont need to worry about chip throw distance and what capacity log your machine takes..find the best deal on a 15 inch chipper with low hours and go with that . if you are in the rat race of removals like i am,get the biggest equipment you can get your hands on and prey to god it holds together lol.

you are all missing the point of the single feed wheel systen that woodsman runs.morbark,bandit or any other chipper uses two feed wheels,also uses two different feed motors,which equals less hydraulic horsepower especially under a heavy load,like chipping whole trees.woodsman deletes the extra feed wheel and extra drive motor and concentrates all of its hyrdraulic hp on CRUSHING.think about it,what jams your chipper up when you feed it? its not the large diameter logs...its the brush and tops. it depends on what your company is geared for. if you do 80% pruning and plant health care then chances are you dont need to worry about chip throw distance and what capacity log your machine takes..find the best deal on a 15 inch chipper with low hours and go with that . if you are in the rat race of removals like i am,get the biggest equipment you can get your hands on and prey to god it holds together lol.

Can't you offset the difference in lost hydraulic HP with a higher HP motor in the machine? I'm trying to get the facts, not being argumentive. I doubt woodsman "reinvented" the wheel here by producing a chipper that outclasses the others by miles.. The other three, by far more widely used chipper manufacturers are using two wheels, which obviously costs more to produce, and thus costs more to the consumer. Strategically, it would make zero sense to not go with a single wheel set up in regard to production costs, especially if it made a better machine. I don't know which one is better by any means, but it's difficult to make an accurate guess unless evrything is compared apples to apples.

oh yeah and DUCATICORSE the only shop i have is the woodchips that are underneath me....haha but seriously,i am lucky enough to be good friends with our landlords shop manager. we rent from a massive excavation company and becasue of my relationship with the the guy that runs there shop, i have free reign over there gigantic shop with things like a 50 ton lift and heated garage floors...haha i know i am spoiled now right? just last week i had to take out a tranny in one truck(it was stuck inbetween gears......####ing spicer,dont get me started.),went to pick up the tranny with our log truck to put it in the pickup and wouldnt ya know the internal locking mechanism broke on the clutch adjuster....luckily my "shop" with the heated floors and all was filled with there own problems so those two problems were fixed at our own site on our backs in the woodchips. do what you gotta do right?

oh yeah and DUCATICORSE the only shop i have is the woodchips that are underneath me....haha but seriously,i am lucky enough to be good friends with our landlords shop manager. we rent from a massive excavation company and becasue of my relationship with the the guy that runs there shop, i have free reign over there gigantic shop with things like a 50 ton lift and heated garage floors...haha i know i am spoiled now right? just last week i had to take out a tranny in one truck(it was stuck inbetween gears......####ing spicer,dont get me started.),went to pick up the tranny with our log truck to put it in the pickup and wouldnt ya know the internal locking mechanism broke on the clutch adjuster....luckily my "shop" with the heated floors and all was filled with there own problems so those two problems were fixed at our own site on our backs in the woodchips. do what you gotta do right?

Heated garage floors..... Makes me think of the time last year I rebuilt my MM1 pump in the middle of a vicious storm IN A STOP AND SHOP PARKING LOT. My hands were frozen solid, AND stained blue...

Can't you offset the difference in lost hydraulic HP with a higher HP motor in the machine? I'm trying to get the facts, not being argumentive. I doubt woodsman "reinvented" the wheel here by producing a chipper that outclasses the others by miles.. The other three, by far more widely used chipper manufacturers are using two wheels, which obviously costs more to produce, and thus costs more to the consumer. Strategically, it would make zero sense to not go with a single wheel set up in regard to production costs, especially if it made a better machine. I don't know which one is better by any means, but it's difficult to make an accurate guess unless evrything is compared apples to apples.

a single feed wheel chipper does good with large material like straight logs but say you put a large branch with a large crotch or bend in it it might struggle to pull it through were a machine like yours can get it from top and bottom will eat limbs with crotches more efficiently. as far as the hydralic output it all depends on the pump on the motor you could probably look at the specs and compare. i definetly wouldnt say a single feed wheel has an advantage i would say its actually less engineered. bandit puts the trap door in thier to let alot of garbage that plugs machines up fall out.

me personally im going with what you have the woodsman sounds good but seems to have issues. and im also not real crazy about the single feed wheel also. the opening on like marquis woodsman is alot larger than an 1890 i would say almost double.

i got tired of fighting stuff through chippers so now when something comes down on a crane if thiers a large lateral limb we just cut it half way with a saw real quick before putting it in the chipper to avoid having to fight it.

an 1890 and a 790 woodsman is not really comparing apples to apples tho a 790 is significantly larger 12,000 pounds and 275 hp on the large models its closer to the 1990 bandit. if you put those two up against each other im sure you would be looking at about the same thing. the feed wheel is around 36" long on a 790.

keep em coming ducati im up waiting for my 5 day old son to wake up so i can feed him again i got lots of time to kill.

keep em coming ducati im up waiting for my 5 day old son to wake up so i can feed him again i got lots of time to kill.

LOL...

Doesn't really matter which one is better to me, I just rather make decisions off of factual stats rather than opinions. Of course if a monster has a 30 percent power increase over the model it's being compared to, I would sure a shyte hope it could chip stronger and faster. I bought the one I bought because it is good, virtually new AND I got a great deal on it. For the money I paid, I'll take it all day and every day over a newer whatever @ well over twice the cost, unless of course that whatever is priced the same as my piece.

Congrats on the newborn Matt!

and as far as grapple fed chipper goes,the only advantage to having a chipper with its own grapple is a space saver. currently i run a 2005 morbark 18 heavy duty.(250 hp,rear hydraulic stabalizers etc. winch,no grapple) and i feed that ##### with a log truck every godamn day. with that being said, i have run a bandit 2090 with a grapple and a woodsman 20xx with a grapple and there is no difference between the three being able to chip while being loader fed...excpet for maybe a inch or two on the actual size of wood being stuffed in, and the woodsman needing less process cutting...DUE TO ITS FEED SYSTEM

ducati, you got a great deal on that chipper by the way.congrats. used to run one just like that and i loved it.went out with a 22 ton crane every day.

LOL...

Doesn't really matter which one is better to me, I just rather make decisions off of factual stats rather than opinions. Of course if a monster has a 30 percent power increase over the model it's being compared to, I would sure a shyte hope it could chip stronger and faster. I bought the one I bought because it is good, virtually new AND I got a great deal on it. For the money I paid, I'll take it all day and every day over a newer whatever @ well over twice the cost, unless of course that whatever is priced the same as my piece.

Congrats on the newborn Matt!

id take that 1890 the only reason i dont have one yet is i built the kboom this year and it hit the wallet hard im going to wait till the spring and either do the 1890 or the 1990 if i can swing it.

i orderded that kboom in june and it just arrived in viginia two days ago takes forever so i should have that in less than 2 weeks.

and as far as grapple fed chipper goes,the only advantage to having a chipper with its own grapple is a space saver. currently i run a 2005 morbark 18 heavy duty.(250 hp,rear hydraulic stabalizers etc. winch,no grapple) and i feed that ##### with a log truck every godamn day. with that being said, i have run a bandit 2090 with a grapple and a woodsman 20xx with a grapple and there is no difference between the three being able to chip while being loader fed...excpet for maybe a inch or two on the actual size of wood being stuffed in, and the woodsman needing less process cutting...DUE TO ITS FEED SYSTEM

So in other words, if I wanted to fit an entire tree into a chipper I'd be better off with a woodsman.

And btw, where the hell are you finding these huge trees down on the cape LOL.........

Just kidding, kind of :)

haha youre right,kind of. they hide....BUT WE FIND THEM hahaha. we travel..A LOT...one of the downsides to working down in this ####hole. do a good amout of work in norwood and walpole,westwood areas like that,we cover from new bedford to plymouth and anything inbetween. trucks take a beating but we do what we have to. you wouldnt beleive the competiton down here,its insane.

Good info, but you're comparing a 12 inch Bandit chipper to a 18 inch Woodsman chipper, or did I miss something?

Yes bigger capacity with the woodsman, but my point is that i winched a 8 inch spruce top into my bandit last week thinking this will be easy on my back. All i ended up doing was fighting the thing as now i had the top crammed in the shute but it would just spin. Cut a few branches go a few feet spin and so on. I did not really need an 18 inch chipper with the woodsman it's just that it was the right price. It was not so much the capacity i was after just the infeed ability. Remember the 18 inch woodsman ate the 17 inch spruce top reall nice, my 12 inch bandit spins on 8 inch spruce. I feel in my experience is it's not so much about pulling power, as i've never had my bandit not have the power to pull, but more about lack of traction! And it does have the crush feature but it's bitter sweet, because yes it crushes, but as you do it takes nearly all of the feed wheel hydraulics away. In other words your basically either pulling or crushing but not really at the same time.

Yes bigger capacity with the woodsman, but my point is that i winched a 8 inch spruce top into my bandit last week thinking this will be easy on my back. All i ended up doing was fighting the thing as now i had the top crammed in the shute but it would just spin. Cut a few branches go a few feet spin and so on. I did not really need an 18 inch chipper with the woodsman it's just that it was the right price. It was not so much the capacity i was after just the infeed ability. Remember the 18 inch woodsman ate the 17 inch spruce top reall nice, my 12 inch bandit spins on 8 inch spruce. I feel in my experience is it's not so much about pulling power, as i've never had my bandit not have the power to pull, but more about lack of traction! And it does have the crush feature but it's bitter sweet, because yes it crushes, but as you do it takes nearly all of the feed wheel hydraulics away. In other words your basically either pulling or crushing but not really at the same time.

My 150 spins spruce or conifers a lot, but it's mainly due to the size of the outer opening, and the fact that my bottom wheel is pretty much bald. And the fact that the entire machine is pretty much an abortion at this point in it's life.

What Engine/HP package is in your 250?

Last edited:
Back