best chipper size with bmg grapple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a single feed wheel chipper does good with large material like straight logs but say you put a large branch with a large crotch or bend in it it might struggle to pull it through were a machine like yours can get it from top and bottom will eat limbs with crotches more efficiently. as far as the hydralic output it all depends on the pump on the motor you could probably look at the specs and compare. i definetly wouldnt say a single feed wheel has an advantage i would say its actually less engineered. bandit puts the trap door in thier to let alot of garbage that plugs machines up fall out.

me personally im going with what you have the woodsman sounds good but seems to have issues. and im also not real crazy about the single feed wheel also. the opening on like marquis woodsman is alot larger than an 1890 i would say almost double.

i got tired of fighting stuff through chippers so now when something comes down on a crane if thiers a large lateral limb we just cut it half way with a saw real quick before putting it in the chipper to avoid having to fight it.

an 1890 and a 790 woodsman is not really comparing apples to apples tho a 790 is significantly larger 12,000 pounds and 275 hp on the large models its closer to the 1990 bandit. if you put those two up against each other im sure you would be looking at about the same thing. the feed wheel is around 36" long on a 790.

you gotta get the facts straight, matty.

the woodsman eats crotches like nothing you have ever seen. it crushes and pulls and doesn't let any spin happen because right after that single feed wheel is the drum. there is no need for the trap door. if you want to compare apples. the 18x woodsman will still pound the 1890 in every chipping endeavor you can find.

if you really want to add some power to your takedown set up you'd go with the woodsman along with your new kboom.

the vermeer got nothing on the bandit and the bandito got nothing on the woodsman. there is a reason the only vermeer (bc1800) we got is on the line clearance crew.

Last edited:
Right. isn't there something about the knives not being staggered that makes the woodsman chippers vibrate more, and that's why they get more cracks?

Everything said about the feed systems on the woodsman seems to jive with the research I did though, gotta admit that (I shopped those chippers for quite a while).

Last edited:
the 790 has a 375 hp JD in it. the opeing is like 25x37 now that its been stretched open a bit.

the 18xx grapple has 275 hp JD in it. it is a 22in chipper.

the 18xx and the 18x have 200's in it. (i actually think its 225 for the 18xx)

regarding the problems it has, they are rather minimal for what you are asking it to do. a machine that big is going to try to rattle itself apart so yes you are going to need to have a solid mechanical background to stay ahead of it but if you act like a tard on the controls or have tards running it for you then of course it will **** its pants alot faster than if you got someone to keep a keen eye on its operations. (hence the reason you see timmy working on them all the time)

now if you pruning or trimming alot then sure you can argue what might be a better setup because you not asking all that much from your chipper when that is your game.

i've been in the removal game for quite some time now and i've seen nothing but impressive work being done by the woodsman. the next best thing to that 790 or the 18xxg or even the 18xx is a tub or horizontal feed grinder but it wouldn't make much sense hauling on of them around to residential gigs.

Right. isn't there something about the knives not being staggered that makes the woodsman chippers vibrate more, and that's why they get more cracks?

if the knives were staggered on the 790 then it would be the most unstoppable chipping machine in the world. hands down. it takes huge bites now with the 2 rows of knives. i couldn't imagine its potential if the whole drum was eating every rotation.

cracks you say? i don't think nasa could build something that does that kind of work that won't rattle itslef apart. look at them big tub grinders... hell they put welding machines onto them things just to have it be able to be worked on in the woods!!

Last edited:
if the knives were staggered on the 790 then it would be the most unstoppable chipping machine in the world. hands down. it takes huge bites now with the 2 rows of teeth. i couldn't imagine its potential if the whole drum was eating every rotation.

cracks you say? i don't think nasa could build something that does that kind of work that won't rattle itslef apart. look at them big tub grinders... hell they put welding machines onto them things just to have it be able to be worked on in the woods!!

My only question is if they are so ####ing great why aren't there more of them out there ? There is something to be said for Bandit and Vermeer they are commonly used , ITS AS COMMON TO SEE A WOODSMAN HOOKED TO A TRUCK AS A RAYCO

My only question is if they are so ####ing great why aren't there more of them out there ? There is something to be said for Bandit and Vermeer they are commonly used , ITS AS COMMON TO SEE A WOODSMAN HOOKED TO A TRUCK AS A RAYCO

didn't woodsman just get bought out by terex or something? you'll be seeing more of them once people realize that for chipping they can't be beat.

the vermeer and bandito been around alot longer than woodsman. didn't bob engle work for morbark before he took his own show on the road building his chippers out a barn. the first couple years i think it was just a couple farmers with a welder going by what they see. they've come along way and now that they getting some serious backing they gonna be top dawg soon enough. you'll see.

eddie. you and your company are the rayco of the tree care industry if you throwing that comparison around. actually more like the DR homeowner brand.

Ya know what Justin I am sorry you guys like them and that is all that matters , I see a chipper as a tool no different than a shovel or rake and everyone uses what they like and are comfortable , and truthfully I could give a #### what brand or color they as long as it does what I ask of it and doesn't bleed me in the process , all this macho chest beating #### over machines makes is stupid I doubt the guys who sell them to us do any of it they just sit back and count there money and love it

didn't woodsman just get bought out by terex or something? you'll be seeing more of them once people realize that for chipping they can't be beat.

the vermeer and bandito been around alot longer than woodsman. didn't bob engle work for morbark before he took his own show on the road building his chippers out a barn. the first couple years i think it was just a couple farmers with a welder going by what they see. they've come along way and now that they getting some serious backing they gonna be top dawg soon enough. you'll see.

eddie. you and your company are the rayco of the tree care industry if you throwing that comparison around. actually more like the DR homeowner brand.

I do Like the Altec machines alot .. And that wasn't very nice what ya said about the DR either , but who cares that you said it because your company or lack there of isn't even a DR its nothing at least we got commercial ..... So #### off and enjoy your Sunday lol

lol.

go pats!

even though its gonna be a tough day cause i skipped out on church and the ol lady slammed the door on the way out..... maybe i should hop on the mower and do the yard before she gets back..... nah.

i think i'll throw in another copenhagen and sit here waiting for her return. should be a good one today boys. lol

how your eagles doing, eddie?

lol.

go pats!

even though its gonna be a tough day cause i skipped out on church and the ol lady slammed the door on the way out..... maybe i should hop on the mower and do the yard before she gets back..... nah.

i think i'll throw in another copenhagen and sit here waiting for her return. should be a good one today boys. lol

You know how the #### there doing smart### , they are a sore subject here along with the phils I am sure you saw there meltdown lol

lol.

go pats!

This is the only Eagle that I could give a #### about , they are 3 and 2 View attachment 203107

Yeah Terrex bought Woodsman. Lets not turn this into a shyte slinging thread.

I have a bandit 250x and also a woodsman 18x. Love my bandit, good and reliable. I upgraded because my bandit has a winch which is GREAT but half the time it would not eat what i would winch into it. The feed rollers like to spin on spruce branches or any wide crotches, other than that a great chipping machine. A friend of mine bought an 18x and when i saw it pull a 17 inch 30ft full spruce top in i said WOW i need one! The large aggressive feed wheel rolls over branches better because of the larger diameter, and the feed table is short and wide, it's like BAM theres the feed wheel. On the negative... my 18x has 1200 hrs and needs a little tlc from some poor build quality. Customer service is not as strong as what i've had at bandit also. That being said though, I wanted a chipper that would pull in what it was capable of eating, the Bandit struggles, Woodsman does great.

Good point about the larger diameter feed wheels rolling over the branches. I can see that. Spruce tops are probably the worst thing you can try and chip with a 250. My 250 with quad rollers and super-sized infeed probably does a little better than a standard 250 on spruce tops, but the rollers are even smaller on that chipper, so they dig right in before the limbs even more. I find it dealable though. The trick is you just can't get too greedy (like you were doing), gotta do some trimming, can't just winch in a 12" top all the way in.. that's where the sweating starts! lol.

Good point about the larger diameter feed wheels rolling over the branches. I can see that. Spruce tops are probably the worst thing you can try and chip with a 250. My 250 with quad rollers and super-sized infeed probably does a little better than a standard 250 on spruce tops, but the rollers are even smaller on that chipper, so they dig right in before the limbs even more. I find it dealable though. The trick is you just can't get too greedy (like you were doing), gotta do some trimming, can't just winch in a 12" top all the way in.. that's where the sweating starts! lol.

Ah, yeah. Did you miss the part where he's comparing the 12 inch bandit with the 18 inch woodsman though? He already clarified, but I wanted to make sure you recognized that lol.... That's like comparing apples to bananas, forget about oranges!

Ah, yeah. Did you miss the part where he's comparing the 12 inch bandit with the 18 inch woodsman though? He already clarified, but I wanted to make sure you recognized that lol.... That's like comparing apples to bananas, forget about oranges!

Yeah, I caught that part. The feed system is similar (same?) on their smaller chippers though, so I let it go for the sake of the conversation. mmmkay? lol.

Actually, I take that back. The 12" woodsman looks pretty lame. Back when I shopped them I was looking at what was the 15x.

Last edited:
you gotta get the facts straight, matty.

the woodsman eats crotches like nothing you have ever seen. it crushes and pulls and doesn't let any spin happen because right after that single feed wheel is the drum. there is no need for the trap door. if you want to compare apples. the 18x woodsman will still pound the 1890 in every chipping endeavor you can find.

if you really want to add some power to your takedown set up you'd go with the woodsman along with your new kboom.

the vermeer got nothing on the bandit and the bandito got nothing on the woodsman. there is a reason the only vermeer (bc1800) we got is on the line clearance crew.

i definetly believe you ive never seen anything chip the size of the stuff i see going through a woodsman but ive only ever seen them on the net and have no clue where to even go look at one yet im trying to find a dealer close to me. so i dont have to go three states across to get it worked on. if i could use one for like a day and its that good i wouldnt mind the price tag but 100k is alot to put down for something you cant even see and hope its what i want it to be.

what really keeps me looking at the woodsman is the loader also and the short feed table. we use a morbark 2400xl with a loader alot and ive been impressed with that so with a woodsman i would probably be in heaven.

i was gonna give you guys a call before we go the crane route the other guy on here posting from you company seemed to have alot of insight and ive been leaning twards altec.

we got two huge contracts this year that caused us to upgrade alot in one year.

the kboom arives in 6 days i can lift 14,000 with that and can reach around 70 feet. if i need some more you can add a fly jib and get out over 100 feet.

all the way stuck out it will outpick a 25-30 ton altec in close tho no comparison the crane wins. flat out horizontal like 6 foot of the ground i can still lift over a ton with it at 70 foot.

but it was actually cheaper to get two trucks than to build just one big kboom.

a mid sized kboom like i built will exceeed 200k in a hurry a large one like allmark 350-375k so its gonna be more like a log truck once the crane arrives.

so when we did the math we could do the crane and the kboom for almost the same money and have the extra stick hieght with the crane.

instead of building a log truck for 150-160 then a 300k crane.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, I caught that part. The feed system is similar (same?) on their smaller chippers though, so I let it go for the sake of the conversation. mmmkay? lol.

Actually, I take that back. The 12" woodsman looks pretty lame. Back when I shopped them I was looking at what was the 15x.

that 15x (i think 750 is the number) is actually a very nice little machine. my buddy has one on his crew that they just got and he really likes it. their other crew just got the vermeer 15in machine and side by side they like the woodsman more.

Latest posts

Back