best chipper size with bmg grapple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defensiblespace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first chipper and am wondering what size chipper is most efficient when using a bmg grapple on a mini loader. My grapple is the newest 53" model. I don't want a chipper that is too small forcing me to break up my grapple loads before sending them through the chipper. I was thinking of an 18" chipper, but is this too big? Will a 12" chipper handle these loads fairly well?

an 18 in chipper is going to be a lot more efficient then a 12 in if your using a grapple. it will pull the material in much easier and the feed table is going to be that much bigger. I've run mostly vermeers and used to have a 1250 years ago. since then have run 1800's and the difference is night and day when using a loader. of course an 18 in is going to weigh a lot more but if your going to be using the grapple a lot its worth it

Bandit 1890 vs Vermeer 1800. Any thoughts? I found a year 2001 1800 with the 115 horse Perkins diesel and 1500 hours for $11000. Sounds like a smoking deal. My thoughts are 1, is this machine underpowered at 115 hp and 2, will this engine be carb compliant in CA? I don't want to buy a machine I can't use.

Bandit 1890 vs Vermeer 1800. Any thoughts? I found a year 2001 1800 with the 115 horse Perkins diesel and 1500 hours for $11000. Sounds like a smoking deal. My thoughts are 1, is this machine underpowered at 115 hp and 2, will this engine be carb compliant in CA? I don't want to buy a machine I can't use.

Haven't used the 1890 so I can't comment on that. I have a 2000 1800 with the perkins 115 and it has plenty of balls. I swear I've put wood in there bigger then 18 inch and it doesn't miss a beat.The auto feed does its job well and its very fuel efficient. Heavy as hell though, almost 9000 lbs. not sure about the emissions laws in cali so can't comment on that either.

I'm looking to purchase my first chipper and am wondering what size chipper is most efficient when using a bmg grapple on a mini loader. My grapple is the newest 53" model. I don't want a chipper that is too small forcing me to break up my grapple loads before sending them through the chipper. I was thinking of an 18" chipper, but is this too big? Will a 12" chipper handle these loads fairly well?

18 is balls for machine loading. I wouldn't do it with a 12 inch, although it can be done, really has more to do with HP, roller speed and mouth opening. There are several diff engine packages in bandits, my 1890 has a 200hp turbo diesel.

If you can get that 01 vermin 1800 with 1500 hrs for 9 grand, check the local police dept to see if it has been stolen lol. Go for it! It is kinda strange that it has only a 115 in it though.

Last edited:

NO the 115hp 1800 does just fine , it will walk through soft wood but hard wood seems to make it work a bit , the plus is that 115 is a perkapillar and the parts are at any Cat or Perkins dealer ... I had one with 3800 hrs on it with a bit a blowby but still running like a top 11,000 honestly sounds cheap though they are ranging between 13,000 to 16.000 for what you described

18 is balls for machine loading. I wouldn't do it with a 12 inch, although it can be done, really has more to do with HP, roller speed and mouth opening. There are several diff engine packages in bandits, my 1890 has a 200hp turbo diesel.

If you can get that 01 vermin 1800 with 1500 hrs for 9 grand, check the local police dept to see if it has been stolen lol. Go for it! It is kinda strange that it has only a 115 in it though.

115 does seem kinda low on the hp end our bandit 250 12" is 140 JD i do believe and i would have put more in it if i could have. we use a morbark 2400 with 230-240 hp and when you get into the hardwoods the auto feed still kicks in. at 115 hp with 18" oak logs seems like it would be auto feeding all day.

but then again it all depends on your aplication if it doesnt matter if it takes it a couple of minutes to eat a log go for it.

what does the 1890 weigh in at?

feeding a 12 inch capacity chipper with a machine will most likely shorten the life of the chipper,but it also depends on the person who is feeding it. i have seen far bigger chippers with thrown bearings,broken infeed chains and piston pins sheared right in two. all because of operator error. with that engine the vermeer sounds like it was built for chipping high volumes of brush/tops...thats why its high capacity but low horsepower.

thats a nice machine have you had any real trouble with it i want an 1890 with the dual tires like that. im considering trading a bandit 250 in on one.

LOL, I'll let you know end of the month.... long story, but I bought it months ago, and due to an injury, haven't gone and picked it up yet. It's about 10 hours away from me.

It's an original 300 (three hundred) hour machine, virtually brand new. I'm seeing a much larger chip box in my future because of it lol.

We run a S600tx with a BMG and have a the 60'' boss grapple from Dave at top notch too. Had a vermeer 1400xl and have demoed an 1800 with 115hp and a 170hp. The 1800 was much better suited for the grapple loading.

We own and run a Woodsman 18x with a 140hp JD and a Morbark 2400 with a 140hp Cat/Perk. The woodsman and the morbark are both far superior in my opionion. And the 18x is a large up grade from the morbark too. I think some of the difference between the morbark and the woodsman is the engine option. The JD recovers RPMs much faster and uses around 15-20% less fuel. Vermeers feed wheels are just too weak. They kick out really easily. A woodsmans feed wheel doesn't know the meaning of the work stop.

Vermeers are very well suited for hand loading though. They handload the easiest by far because of the vertical feed wheels. With the vertical feed wheels you don't have to get the butt of the branch down to the bottom of the feed table.

If you haven't bought yet I would just recommend looking at a woodsman.

LOL, I'll let you know end of the month.... long story, but I bought it months ago, and due to an injury, haven't gone and picked it up yet. It's about 10 hours away from me.

It's an original 300 (three hundred) hour machine, virtually brand new. I'm seeing a much larger chip box in my future because of it lol.

if you dont want it ill take it. you can never have enough chip box 16 foot a 14 and 8 are the 3 trucks i chip into and still wind up going to the dump on large removals. bandits are tough i feed my 140 hp 250 with a crane i know its overworked it just takes it day in and day out. only ever changed knives on them and 1 clutch. i would compare it to a vermeer 1800 but not a 1890.

Last edited:
We run a S600tx with a BMG and have a the 60'' boss grapple from Dave at top notch too. Had a vermeer 1400xl and have demoed an 1800 with 115hp and a 170hp. The 1800 was much better suited for the grapple loading.

We own and run a Woodsman 18x with a 140hp JD and a Morbark 2400 with a 140hp Cat/Perk. The woodsman and the morbark are both far superior in my opionion. And the 18x is a large up grade from the morbark too. I think some of the difference between the morbark and the woodsman is the engine option. The JD recovers RPMs much faster and uses around 15-20% less fuel. Vermeers feed wheels are just too weak. They kick out really easily. A woodsmans feed wheel doesn't know the meaning of the work stop.

Vermeers are very well suited for hand loading though. They handload the easiest by far because of the vertical feed wheels. With the vertical feed wheels you don't have to get the butt of the branch down to the bottom of the feed table.

If you haven't bought yet I would just recommend looking at a woodsman.

i wish i could demo a woodsman i hear good things.

our baby, very capable but at 15k lbs. 200 hp cummins. 2900 hrs will take anything you stuff into it. hyd. chute and bonnet movement, 16' chip box great set up. Like said you better get a bigger box if you don't have one you waste chipper's capacity saving time by always running to dump.

Latest posts

Back