Best climbing spikes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NebClimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I do not own a pair of climbing spikes. Need some imput as to a good make and model for use on removals.

Thanks,

Steven

I use the Buckinghams with the velcro uppers. I've used Bashlins, and liked them better though.

I got a pair of cheapo Buckinghams that work fine except the straps they sent don't fit around my fat feet or big boots on the bottom. I run the straps through the slot on the shaft ot the climber then try to get it around my foot. They are so tight I have to use pliers to cinch them up tight enough so my feet don't slip out. Either I'm doin something stupid or my feet/boots are too big. Haven't seen anywhere to get bigger straps. Anybody know? The catalog I got these from only have one size strap. As far as climbing they don't kill your legs and have a good bite and hqave'nt had to sharpen gaffs yet. I think I paid like 120 or so for climber, pads, and too small straps. Got them from this outfit in Ohio.

Sounds like you have the wrong straps. Is it a 1 piece strap or 2-piece with a RING?

I don't know why the straps, especially on the lowers, aren't longer. I used to take a wrap on the shank, but I got tired of needing pliers to cinch 'em up.

Their at least two inches too short! :angry:

Mine has the ring. I might go back to rigging a dog collar up- I like to take a wrap on the shank.

You boys musta got big feets!!

The straps on my old Buckinghams (with the split ring straps) were at least 8 inches beyond the buckle when cinched up.

Seems like an easy fix...Slide the strap, the half without the buckle, off the split ring. Get that dog collar riveted back on itself after cutting off the buckle. Slide the dog collar on the split ring...there ya go, so long as the dog collar will fit the buckle on the original strap you left on the ring.

I have the ones that are one piece with no ring. The dog collar idea sounds good. I have two dogs. One for each foot!

If you ever do decide to buy new purpose-made straps I'd go with the ringed ones. They allow a snugger strap-down because the strap can change angle smoothly as it comes from the heel, then wraps over the top of your foot. Lotsa suppliers sell them.

When I was taking down a lot of big thick barked pines in north carolina I bought permanent gaff buckinghams because of their 3 1/2'' spur. I still have them and use them from time to time. I have the Tripple Thick T pads on mine and find them pretty comfortable. I've also climbed on bashlin's with the super wrap pads but didn't like them, its all personal preferance. DON'T skimp on good boots though!!!

Nebclimber, I started on stringer-brooks climbers 2'' gaffs. I thought they were the best you could get........well I was wrong. I was kicking out enough to hurt my confidence in using gaffs.
I did a little research and bought myself a pair of klien 2.5'' gaffs with triple thick weaver t-pads. Very comfy and I have yet to kick out ''knock on wood''. You dont have to kick your gaff in, like I was with the brooks climbers. They bite like a cats claw. :D
I would stay away from stringer-brooks. However there are some I know who like them, not me.
The only draw back to the kliens are, they penatrate so deep in pine it can be tough to pull them back out if you been in one spot for a bit.:rolleyes:

Here is a pic of the 2. Compare the gaff shape.
sony 5pixl, resized to a4.

I've used Buckinghams, Bashlins, and Kleins and used several different pad types but since I don't use them enough to have tuff shins they all seem a little uncomfortable until I took a tip from the professional speed climbers and started making my own.

Some of them custom mold fiberglass pads but I just get some stout sheet aluminum and a piece of firewood the size of my leg to get the bend started. I drill the upper part of the spurs and use a grade 8 bolt and fender washers (smooth out the bolt that goes against your leg like a carraige bolt) to attach it to the pad. Bend a strip of aluminum to hold up the straps and use rivets to attach. I use a soccer shin guard under my pants and since the pad swivels and the shin gaurd distributes the pressure you can concentrate on your work instead of your sore shins.

Early climbers had to make alot of their own gear as they couldn't buy it in those days. I know it's not for everyone but there is something to be said for custom made gear. I think they cost me about 30 bucks (that includes the $20 soccer gaurds). One set I made out of aluminum diamond plate just for kicks. If you look on page 91 of Beranek's book on the far right you'll see something similiar to what I made. He uses a ball joint but I use different size washers between the spur and pad for lateral flex and a nylock nut facing the tree on mine.

Stihl sponcers a timber sports dinner-show in a new outdoor arena over looking table rock lake near branson,mo. Went last year to see what the buzz was about. Waayy cool!!!
One of the events was speed climbing. Had some world champ from sweden. He could smoke up the pole & drop back down with his gaffs barly pecking the pole. After the show I went down to take a look at his gaffs. They looked like something you would find laying next to some train tracks. Old style leg irons and the gaffs had been heated up to bend them forward so they would release faster. I was expecting to see some high tech stuff.
One of the guys was using wolf claws, he did not act as though he liked them much. I wish I had some good pics. If you ever get to branson,mo. check it out. :D

I've used Kleins, Bashlins, Buckinghams and Stringer-Brooks. I like Kleins the best because their gaffs really stick. I always use the shorter pole gaffs for trees here, since they are thin barked. The tree gaffs are so long that the sides of your boot is about 1.5 inches away. I think the velcro pads with the metal inserts are the most uncomfortable pads made. The velcros w/o the inserts are very comfortable.

rocky, some hooks use single straps for the bottom.I know the cheapo buckingham does. I have the bashlin aluminum and I like them. I tried the kliens and did not like the feel of my feet being so far away from the tree.Maybe it was just what I was used to.

Well it is entirely possible that asplundh found another way to pinch a few pennies, but our company issue hooks have only 1 bottom strap. It has to be folded around in a way that I don't even want to try to explain without pics. But they do work well.

Originally posted by topnotchtree
Well it is entirely possible that asplundh found another way to pinch a few pennies, but our company issue hooks have only 1 bottom strap. It has to be folded around in a way that I don't even want to try to explain without pics. But they do work well.

Asplundh go cheap on stuff? Nah... Never....

I agree with Rocky.

Back