Best climbing spikes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats right Erik. And make sure they are sharp. Any real tree climbing Gaffs 2 straps per leg and are sharp will do the trick. Or.... if you feel strong, climbing rope and arm strenght. (if you are young still, not like me.)

Need some professional help here. I want to climp a tree. What are the best gaffs for a newbee that will be climbing mostly large oaks. Long spikes I'm guessing would be best, just want to know what brand are easier to learn on. Might only use them once but I just gotta try it, thanks.

Originally posted by shoot501
Need some professional help here. I want to climp a tree. What are the best gaffs for a newbee that will be climbing mostly large oaks. Long spikes I'm guessing would be best, just want to know what brand are easier to learn on. Might only use them once but I just gotta try it, thanks.

Don't gaff yurself! :rolleyes:

Those funky Robo Gaffs never made it past prototype.

Everyone laughed in at the shows for two years.

Might work for pole climbing, but the two spikes got in the test climbers way and the articulation cause problems.

Rocky I 've read everything I can and there is so many opinions. I thought by including " large oaks " and " newbee " someone who has already been there, done that, could steer me in the right direction.

Spikes are like saddles... very personal. The saddle and gaff combo I feel most comfortable in/with may totally NOT work for someone else.

That said, if you're inexperienced on gaffs at all, it makes the recommendation even harder, and makes most people hesitant to say anything at all besides HIRE A PRO. We have plenty of people making in into the injuries/fatalities section already.

If you must, try Buckinghams, 3-1/2" gaffs. Leather T-pads are basic, but the velcro-wraps are alot more comfy. Tall boots help alot- I use 12" Wolvie steel shanks on hooks.

I hope you're only spiking a tree to remove it??

Climb safe.

Thank's netree that's what I was needing. I have no intention of becoming an arborist, I just have the urge to climb a tree. I've got several old trees that are dying from the RedOak bore beetle so nothing will be hurt. Some people want to fly a plane or drive a race car but I'm just to country for that kind of stuff. As to getting hurt I'm pretty careful these days, don't heal as quick as I used to. I will rig a safety line and harness before I try it. I've climbed towers before but this looks like more fun, thank's again.

I do a lot of removals out west and in the city I can count on 1 hand in ther last year the number of times I used my long points. Get a pair of pole gaffs, you will have a much easier time of it.

I like the pole gaffs too. I have used (needed) the long gaffs only twice in the past 20 years while removing some thick barked eucs. Even then, after the first 30 ft., the bark wasn't so thick anymore and pole gaffs would have worked fine.

As far as those Robo climbers, I wish Bashlin would have fine tuned the set up. Placing the twin spikes closer together and getting rid of the articulation might have helped. I still would like to try out a set on a palm tree.

Yep, I use Klein tree gaffs, but they work just fine worn down a half inch or so. I've some long B'hams, but let the hired help use 'em. Ascenders or a ladder will get ya up past most of the thick bark.

SHOOT501 WROTE "I've got several old trees that are dying from the RedOak bore beetle so nothing will be hurt."
Kinda like saying.. "You always wanted to jab someone full of holes with an ice pick and Grandpa was dying of cancer, so you tried it out on him.... All his yelling and screaming took the fun out of it, but at least nothing was hurt"
The use of spikes on a live tree is a violent act..... very violent.... though many may not be sensetive to the tree.... Anyone out there ever heard a tree scream before???
If you are planning on using a rope and saddle anyhow, you might as well learn basic tree climbing techniques and do it right.... I think all experienced climbers agree, climbing without spikes is more fun.. we only use spikes when we're "forced" to do so....
Spikeless climbing requires a little more effort and finess, which is a trade of for a greater sense of freedom and escape from the earthboud world..
Good luck with it and be careful...
Perhaps we could find you a mentor.... Someone down your way to set up a recreational tree climbing day....

I have to agree with Daniel. The, "this is might be fun", is limb walking and trusting your saddle and rope with your life. That is where the butterflies come from. Gaffs are uncofortable tools we use to remove hazzards or chunk out a pole that cannot be dropped. They aren't fun in the conopy.

Murphy if I do climb a tree it will be one of the ones the logging crew left because it was too far gone to make a log. And as for the butterflies, I'm 54 and anything that can give me a spark and get my heart pumping is worth a try. Haven't you ever had the urge to get on a D-9 cat and push some dirt or drive the alcan highway? This is just something I wanted to try and I'm pretty sure it will happen. Thank's for the concerns, I won't hurt any good trees and I sure ain't gonna hurt me.

learn to climb

learn to climb trees in general.... i find it really relaxing chillin in a tree and waiting to see what happens......ive found that reclusive birds are more than accomodating and will become quite inquisitive of this new feature in their habitat.....

the rest of my squad climbs with ear muffs down, i hate that, i like to hear the wind in the trees and the noises the tree makes.....

does that sound a little bit tooo new age????

jamie

the guy that does'nt like the brooks spurs is opposite my opinion. I worked the ice sorm in K,C, 2001? Got my first taste of Springer's lineman and climber supply. I believe two of the smartass sales gals will take down a pretty good business. I think one was the owner. As I had absolutely no equipment with but saws and, boots, clothes; they made out like a bu nch of bandits. But those gaffs by Brooks are most certainly top-of-the-line. In fact, there was one woman employed there that had been building saddles for OVER 30 yrs. She's cool

Latest posts

Back