Best gloves for cutting, splitting, stacking.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Mine only seem to last 2 weeks, then my fingers are sticking out. And I have tried every kind. $10-30 and no difference

This has been addressed a few times recently, covering the rqmts of the different seasons. Search might speed it up some for you.

Pretty much a consensus re "atlas fit" latex-palm woven gloves. Grippy, wear almost like iron, and cost a couple of $ by the dozen, from Amazon. "Atlas thermal" are the winter variety. I take a couple of pair with me in winter. When one pair gets "dewy", I switch them out. The thermal ones go for about $3/ pair. Beat that. I've not yet worn out my first pair, after many months' firewooding.

To each his own... I have trouble with the Atlas gloves - something about them pinches my hands and my fingers ache after an hour or so. Great gloves, just a subjective thing. I love the Home Depot yellow ones with the black nitrile palms:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Firm-Grip-Nitrile-Coated-Gloves-10-Pack-5510-16/203423243

These go on and off sale every few months. $10 for a 10-pack is pretty decent. I sweat a lot, gross but I yam what I yam. I soak a pair of gloves on a hot day in an hour or so. At this price I just throw on a fresh pair and I'm off again. Feels awesome putting on a fresh pair. They go right in the laundry and come out almost as good as new. I get about 20 washes out of them before the coating wears out, so I buy like one new pack a year to replace the worst of the oldest, and just keep cycling them through.

I think the Atlas Thermals would be better in the winter though. These yellow ones breathe great - good for warm weather, not so much for icy wind.

I just looked at some reviews on the atlas and they sound good. I'm use to a little more padding with my insulated leathers, but I will give a try. I'm thinking the leather gets soft when a little wet and tares

To each his own... I have trouble with the Atlas gloves - something about them pinches my hands and my fingers ache after an hour or so. Great gloves, just a subjective thing. I love the Home Depot yellow ones with the black nitrile palms:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Firm-Grip-Nitrile-Coated-Gloves-10-Pack-5510-16/203423243

These go on and off sale every few months. $10 for a 10-pack is pretty decent. I sweat a lot, gross but I yam what I yam. I soak a pair of gloves on a hot day in an hour or so. At this price I just throw on a fresh pair and I'm off again. Feels awesome putting on a fresh pair. They go right in the laundry and come out almost as good as new. I get about 20 washes out of them before the coating wears out, so I buy like one new pack a year to replace the worst of the oldest, and just keep cycling them through.

I think the Atlas Thermals would be better in the winter though. These yellow ones breathe great - good for warm weather, not so much for icy wind.

I never got around to ordering the Atlas, but I got these and they are amazing tough. I mean, basically a buck a pair! All winter I kinda sorta wore out one pair, on the secpnd pair now. That's doing every chore I need to do including firewood. I even started wearing them to do mechanic work.

I would take the atlas over the hd yellow and black nitrile gloves any day. The atlas gloves have way more grip and wear just as long. The dollar and a half difference in price is worth it me. :)

Another vote for the atlas. As far as the leather ones go I find the $5 suede cowhide/canvas backed ones last as long as the more pricey ones. For running the saws I like Wells-Lamont pig-skin non-insulated gloves.

Best gloves?? Those are groves without holes.

Personally I hate any of the latex/rubber-palm type gloves, my palms and fingers sweat to the point they wrinkle.
I prefer a leather glove, whatever's cheapest ('cause they all wear-out at about the same rate)... and I buy 'em by the 6-pack.
I bought some in a 3-pack at Sam's Club a while back that had some sort of latex/rubber sewn onto the fingertips... those worked pretty good because they gave me the leather "breath-ability" and the "grip" of latex/rubber. They also lasted longer than bare leather because the latex/rubber fingertips had to wear through before the leather started wearing. I found using them for splitting/stacking and such until the latex/rubber fingertips wore through and then regulating them to running the saw and other lighter duties kept them in service a lot longer. They were a bit more expensive than I normally buy ($20 for the 3-pack), but they did last about twice as long because of the fingertips.

0005330006940_A

No holes is nice. Having both a left and a right is good as well. I know: picky, picky.
++on the atlas fit, though.

For any time but winter I use Dynema terminator gloves. Little pricey (8$ pair) but last 20 plus washes and awesome dexterity. Use them for all mechanic work and still can grab small 8-32 nuts. Much cooler than the yellow ones in fact in cooler/cold weather they feel cooler than bare hands for some reason. They are cut resistant. I could not cut them with a new blade in a utility knife pushing as hard as I could. Point of the knife could still stick you through the weave but it would prevent your hand from being filleted open.

Cold weather I found a pair of thinsulate synthetic leather wells Lamont gloves that wears well but retains much dexterity. Still wear my kid skin thinsulate glove for driving but they were to expensive/torn up quickly for work.

Latest posts

Back