Best harness for stihl fs250 brush cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot Bitme

Reaction score
I got a Stihl FS250 handle bar brush cutter. Need to clear brush and thickets off some steep hills. What is the best harness to use, I have no problem buying a still double shoulder harness but if there is a better one to use I would love to know about it. I am a big guy, 6'2" and 260 pounds if that makes a difference.

I’ve used the factory Stihl double standard one and like it a lot. It’s quite comfortable for several hours of weeding. What’s not comfortable is the heat that work is usually done in. Haven’t used the more substantial looking double harness’ but honestly it looks hot to be strapped in lol

I have the FS130 and the double harness they recommend. Seems to work fine I'm 5' 11 260# now. When I was younger I was taller.
Wear good wrap around eye protection. With the tri blade it will really throw stuff at you. I haven't used my circle blade yet.

I'm an inch shorter than you and a little bit heavier. The harness I use on my FS250 appears to no longer be sold by Stihl but it resembles the current Universal Double Shoulder Harness (not the forestry harness) that's on their website. At first I didn't care for the asymmetric feeling of having padding around the left side of my torso with nothing to balance it on the right but I've since gotten used to it and it remains comfortable for extended use. If I was buying new right now, I would try and find the forestry model to try on. On the forestry model, I like how the connection point for the trimmer is around the center of your torso (front and back) like the included double harness that came with it. I should also point out that I never had a problem with the included double harness. I just wanted something better.

Also, the cheap orange trimmer line that comes with the Autocut head is grossly overpowered by the FS250. If you hit anything thicker than grass at full speed, it snaps off flush to the head and welds to itself on the spool. Throw it out and use Oregon Magnum Gatorline instead. The 0.095" square version works fantastic with the FS250. The triangle shaped 3-point brush blade is monster in heavier brush and should be on your short list of accessories to buy as well.

Latest posts

Back