Best Husky saw combo??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what you Husky fans have to say about the best I will not be using them professionally but I want 2 good saws that will last me for quite a while. I am just a homeowner with auxillary wood heat, and thinking about starting a firewood business for some write-offs. I was thinking the 346XP or 357XP for a medium saw, and a 372XP or 575XP for a big saw. I know everyone likes the 346XP - it seems as if it is a big favorite amongst Husky fans. What do you guys think? I now own 2 small Shindaiwa saws - which have been very good, reliable (if not bulletproof) saws. If I don't buy Husky saws, I will buy a 488 and 757 Shindaiwa. Stihl makes good machines, but they seem to have a cult following, almost like Harley Davidson. I won't pay extra money for a sticker. Besides, my Stihl dealer is an *$$ - they lost my business just because of him!

Thanks guys! Post up!

Four Paws said:
Just wanted to know what you Husky fans have to say about the best I will not be using them professionally but I want 2 good saws that will last me for quite a while. I am just a homeowner with auxillary wood heat, and thinking about starting a firewood business for some write-offs. I was thinking the 346XP or 357XP for a medium saw, and a 372XP or 575XP for a big saw. I know everyone likes the 346XP - it seems as if it is a big favorite amongst Husky fans. What do you guys think? I now own 2 small Shindaiwa saws - which have been very good, reliable (if not bulletproof) saws. If I don't buy Husky saws, I will buy a 488 and 757 Shindaiwa. Stihl makes good machines, but they seem to have a cult following, almost like Harley Davidson. I won't pay extra money for a sticker. Besides, my Stihl dealer is an *$$ - they lost my business just because of him!

Thanks guys! Post up!
I'm wondering too what those Husky fans will have to say about the best,lol, just messing with ya. Stihl man ticked you off huh, care to share???

i'd go for a 357 and a 372 or 385

harley's are to compensate for a small penis.if you don't have that problem,why buy one.

Husky for Firewood

Hello
You didn't say what
size trees you will be cutting down.Hardwood ? I like the 359 and the 362xp.They are about 14 lb with 18 " bar.I'm disabled so weight is a factor for me.The 362xp is 4.6 hp.The 359 is 3.9 hp.Do a muffler modification and you will be over 4hp on the 359.Round full chisel works for me, if there isn't a lot of dirt.
Ed

hornett22 said:
harley's are to compensate for a small penis.if you don't have that problem,why buy one.

A comment like that must mean you know this from experience ..LOL

A 372 makes a nice saw..

Last edited:
fortunately.......

i don't have to compensate .i can drive whatever i like.i don't understand why anyone would pay twice the money for less than half the bike though.i work on a lot of harleys and my father owns one as does my ex father in law.i give them both hell but they take it well.i do like the V ROD,but harley guys will jump all over you for that too.funny thing is,V ROD owners think they are just like all the other harley riders.that's the great thing about this country,you have a choice and freedom of speech.LOL

Last edited:
hornett22 said:

Exactly.

And if you can't pick your motorcycle up off the ground by yourself if you dump it then you have no business riding it, either.

To get back on topic....the 40cc-49cc saws such as the 346xp make excellent primary saws. Once again, you'll find that it's generally those less endowed that always feel the need to reach for their ms660 Stihls. 'Penis envy', I think is what they call it LOL!

Whatever Sappy, 40-49 cc for a firewood saw, lame. You have the right idea with a 372, used lots of them, my firewood saw is a 371. 70cc compare to 40-50cc, tow your boat with a 305 or a 454? Your on the right track.

THALL10326 said:
Stihl man ticked you off huh, care to share???

He owns a lawn and garden store that sells and services Walker mowers, Stihl saws, etc. He only carries consumer grade saws, his parts inventory sucks, and he won't work with you. I went to him when I needed a new bar and a few chains for my Shindaiwa - he jerked me around with some BS about availability because it was an unpopular saw and older (come on, there are LOTS of bar manufacturers). I guess it wasn't a big enough sale to take the time on. I later was interested in a nice mower, after talking to him, he voluntarily offered to bring one out to my house and let me demo it. I thought this was great - well, I thought too soon. He showed up with a brand new mower that had never been used!!!! He asked me as he was unstrapping it from his trailer if I was going to buy it if I liked what I saw. My reply was "perhaps, but not today. I plan on testing a few other brands from a few different stores". He then told me that he wasn't here to just mow my lawn for me - HA, what a crock! I told him to pack it up and hit the road. I had 2 bad experiences with him, and refuse to even set foot in his store. He also sold a "new" saw to a lady I know that was remanufactured! She contacted Stihl directly and got things straightened out! NOW, I tell everyone I know to tell everyone they know not to give him the time of the day!

So, that is my story. I almost thought about writing to Stihl and telling them to cancel his franchise/dealer license.

314epw said:
You didn't say what size trees you will be cutting down. Hardwood ?

There is limited hardwood to be had in these parts, and when you find it, the majority of it is usually under 10". Mostly softwood out here - so large diameter stuff. Both my Shindaiwa saws have an adjustable oiler which makes it very nice when the bar is buried.

coveredinsap said:
To get back on topic....the 40cc-49cc saws such as the 346xp make excellent primary saws.

Well, my Shindaiwa 416 is a 40cc and it is great for clean-up and limb wood. I sawed all my firewood last year with it - had a 16" bar on it and 3/8 .050. It powered through, even with the bar buried in the tree, just not at lightning fast speed! The 357 seemed like an obvious choice to me, although, like I said, the 346 seems more popular.

Four Paws said:
Well, my Shindaiwa 416 is a 40cc and it is great for clean-up and limb wood. I sawed all my firewood last year with it - had a 16" bar on it and 3/8 .050. It powered through, even with the bar buried in the tree, just not at lightning fast speed! The 357 seemed like an obvious choice to me, although, like I said, the 346 seems more popular.
Sense you have the limbing saw already then your best bet is the 357XP and the 372XP . I have two 346xp's 1 359 and 1 372xp . Ran the 357xp many times and is a great saw . I do firewood too and heat my house 100% with wood in the winter . The only reason i went with the 359 is for my son . We both use the 346xp's and i bought him the 359 to use for the big wood and me the 372xp for the big wood . I use the 372xp for felling and also for the bottom of the trunk after we tear apart the top with the 346xp's .

hornett22 said:

Not sure I've ever seen a small penis for sale :laugh:

Hornett: what do you own? Just so we can stick it to you...

Four Paws said:
Rspike said:
Sense you have the limbing saw already then your best bet is the 357XP and the 372XP . I have two 346xp's 1 359 and 1 372xp . Ran the 357xp many times and is a great saw . I do firewood too and heat my house 100% with wood in the winter . The only reason i went with the 359 is for my son . We both use the 346xp's and i bought him the 359 to use for the big wood and me the 372xp for the big wood . I use the 372xp for felling and also for the bottom of the trunk after we tear apart the top with the 346xp's .
PS As a note : i would buy the 357xp first ....... you might decide you dont need the 372xp with the softwood and the 357xp is enough saw for your needs . We have a lot of hardwood around here in the midwest and its easy to find larger trees because not too many take on the larger hardwood trees for firewood .It is nice to have the 372xp for less limit of what trees you can get. Nothing holding you back with the bigger saw. :D Alright ...... You other GUYS can get back to talking about penises and Harleys here on the chainsaw fourm . :deadhorse: :help:

Last edited:
372xp is the do everything saw. If you need something lighter for limbing get the 346Xp. Forget the 357XP.

An HD is a mans machine! SAP, what are you riding......a moped!

you have a 40cc saw, I think you should go 357/359 and then make a jump to the 7900 or 385xp.
If you want to get the shindaiwa's out of the picture and just have to saws go with a 353 and 372.

Lets clear a few things up right now. I don't have a small penis acording to many women...

I like my 066 and my harleys. I guess If I liked to whittle trees down instead of cutting them, I probably wouldn't like the 066 as much. Harleys are something. You can't explain it if you haven't ridden and owned one. I will own another one one of these days, but I have more important things to buy first, like my own house.

When I go to the woods to cut firewood. I take a couple saws. If it is just me, I take my 372 and Dolmar 5100. We have mostly hardwoods out this way, and it is all I cut for firewood.

I have a Husky 351 that is pretty much an open port 346. It has a more usable powerband for cutting bigger stuff than the 346 does imo. The 346 is a good saw, but not too many people around here run them in hardwoods. I think the 353 replaced the 351. It is a good 49-50cc firewood saw that is a pro model with the mag case. The 346 really rips in the small stuff, but I still prefer the 5100 for the lmbing and it isn't afraid to bury the bar in hardwoods.

If I go to my buddies woodlot, I take a lot more saws...an 066, two 372's, 5100, 55 rancher, and a couple differant bar and chains for the bigger saws. The 55 rancher is prefered by my buddy for limbing as he doesn't run saws that often and doesn't like the weight of the 372's. No one is allowed to touch my 5100! lol

If you have the 40-50 cc range covered, I would get a 357 or 359 and 372. The 372 ranks right up there with the king of saws. I have ran and owned many saws and a simple gypo mod to a 372 will make it one of the best saws out there.

-Steve

steve you have alot of saws! I remeber you said once that you had a 2145 that you converted to a 2150 but were waiting for a base gasket. What about glueing it? I thought the 351 had a closed port design but it had those tamper proof covers like on the 353? My dad has a 2149 which the twin to the 351 but I have never looked that close at it.

Have a good one

buck

I would also like to add....

I owned a 385 for a while. With a muffler mod, it was a good runner, but weighed a ton. I found I picked up my 066 more than the 385 due to the weight, so the 385 got sold. The 7900 weighs about the same as a 372xp. Stock for stock with a 20" bar, I could not tell a difference between the two. Now get a longer bar on them, like a 28" and the 7900 shows its muscle. it is more torquey. But power for power, I still like my woods ported 372 over the stock muffler modded 7900. Even though the domar carries more rpm out of the box, the Husky seems to carry more rpm in the cut and "seems to cut faster". The 7900 revs high, but the r's drop more in the wood. They are both great saws. If the 372 is not available anymore, I would get a 7900 over a 575xp anyday.

-Steve

Back