Best lightweight bar for a Stihl MS241-CM ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What bar would you get for an MS-241 CM?

• 16" standard weight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 14" standard weight

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sid Post

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a Stihl MS-241 CM for limbing and lightweight firewood cutting. I have an MS-362 CM for felling and heavier ground work. The 362 is just too heavy for me to use for any length of time limbing, fence and brush clearing, etc. in awkward positions. My back just complains too loudly when I limb and clear brush with it.

So, that has me thinking about lighter weight and good balance. I think I want to stay with a 16" bar so I have a little more reach if I need it but, I could see a 14" bar being a good choice too. I was thinking about a light "laminate" bar.

Would a lightweight laminate bar wear out quickly? Would it be stiff enough or flimsy? Where would it balance? I think I want the balance point farther back so both hands carry some of the load but, I also don't want it to be too 'flippy' with aggressive chain. I'm thinking I will go with PS63 chain but, I can be convinced to use something else.

Where is the sweet spot for an MS-241 CM to lighten it up without compromising too much?

TIA,
Sid

Bumping this thread.

The Stihl fitment chart indicates that the ELight would fit the 241, but is not listed for it. Will it hold up on a 3HP saw? It apparently was meant for a 2HP saw.

The 241 uses "3005" mount bars. If the ELight bar you're looking at is a 3005, it will fit, and work. I had a 16" one (really a 15") on my 241. It will last for what the 241 was intended for, as long as you're not ham fisted. You'll bend it in a pinch, or kickback, before the 3hp motor damages it.

Sugi Hara makes a lightweight picco 16" 3005/D025 mount bar as well. Specified weights seem to be close, but I haven't verified the Sugi weight. I'm guessing it will be a bit more stout, considering that it isn't laminated, but real life weight is probably more.

The longer the bar, the less bending over needed. I prefer to stand up and limb/buck. Plus on larger bars/limbs your standing further away. So you can get a better idea of which way the limb is rolling moving rather then just watching the kerf.
I put a 16" on my husky 246 and I regretted it from day one, the last small saw I got I put a 20" on it. Which still makes me bend over but much less then then the 16" or smaller. Just because it's a 20" doesn't mean you have to bury the whole bar bucking up big wood.

I found a SugiHara lightweight bar that has oval holes in the middle. Presuably forweight reduction. Anyone ever run one of these. Do these holes gather chips and cause trouble?

Latest posts

Back