best machine for loading wood at jobsite?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a miniature articulating loader with a Branch Manager log grapple for those who have never seen one it wont tear up the grass like a Mini Skid it is 1/2 the width of a small bobcat and it Sill still lift 1800# it will turn around a pole and not damage the grass!
check out this video

Gehl AL20DX - YouTube

this Little Machine is worth its weight in gold! it only weighs 2300 less than my stump grinder!

That's a sweet little machine, can't argue the usefulness of that.

experienced comparison

I'm a second generation treecutter. I've seen and used nearly everything out there.
We started out with a 40hp Ford tractor with a front loader. Next was a John Deere 310 backhoe. After that came a 753 bobcat skidsteer, then an A300 skidsteer(all wheel steer), and finally came the Bobcat MT-55 mini track loader.
The MT-55 turned out to be one of the best investments I've ever made for my business. It enables you to work in soft yards, it's only 44 inches wide, lifts nearly 700lbs. of anything you want, takes up little space on a trailer, easy to load and unload, awesome traction and power to pull over trees, and for a new guy starting out, it's a small investment (compared to the bigger equipment that I own.)
It's been very dependable. I bought it new in 2006 and have had only one breakdown (hydraulic drive motor needed replaced) in all of those years.
As far as loading wood. There may be an issue for you. I feed all the brush through my chipper with it then forward all the logs to a driveway or street where I then pick it up with my grapple truck. The mini doesn't lift very high but if you had a low dump trailer, you'd have it made. You'd be able to load logs, stump grindings, debris, etc.
Also, they make a bunch of useful attachments for it that can make you even more money.
Bottom line: I use the mini more than any other type of loader that I own.
I hope this was helpful. Good luck.
Gerasimek

I know most here seem to be against mini excavators for tree services Anyway, I have a bobcat e-32 excavator we just set up with a valby 50hd log grapple with a RX120FFT ridged rotator. I still have the factory hydraulic thumb on the machine use with bobcat buckets or 3 tine grapple. There are times the machine is used to pull stump or load logs to heavy to lift with the rotating grapple. The grapple set up disconects like a normal bucket and 2 sets of quick connect couplers for the hydraulics. The grapple set up is heavy so in the next few months I will be buying the counter weight kit for the machine to give it better lifting capacity. I also made mounts on a quick attach 4' mini mower so it has 360 degree constant rotation. I find the bobcat excavators with a hydraulic thumb and 3 tine grapple very usefull for brush, logs, and feeding the chipper. Other than clearly being slower tracking on long hauls the speed of gathering debris is far faster. A skid steer cant reach 15' to side of track so you can ideally pick up debris in 30' path with out turning. Ill try to put up some pics.

Sorry for the rambling
Dennis

Latest posts

Back