Best method to deal with hollows in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the Aerialist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So as some may have noted I posted that I patched a tree with the traditional stone and mortar method and it caused some outcry here. I'd like to call for some opinions or links as to current arborist practices and what different scenarios present different solutions. I'd like to hear from all of you to educate myself with updated information. I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks, please don't whip me to hard.

The proper way to deal with a hollow is to leave it. If the rate of growth excedes the rate of decay then you'll be fine. If not then proper risk assesment needs to be taken and if it presents a high risk then removal needs to be done.
WE-9341A

AA- your new name is Aerial Mason. I posted earlier that you should read everything Shigo has written. Start with the man who who changed our industry. His books form the foundation of modern arboriculture. If you truly did not know this was a outdated practice then you have a lot to learn. This practice is nothing more than snake oil and gives the client a false sense of security.

If something were to happen to the tree resulting in injury due to your "work", are you reedy for the lawsuit?

Thank you Mikegar and Zale ...

Now I have some reading ahead of me, I guess I can google-fu WE-9341A and what Shigo has written. It's a start. Thank you both for your kind suggestions for study.

What about Carpenter Ants? Are they bad for the tree? Do they increase the rate of decay by consuming the rotted portions? What's up with them, are they a signal for rot in trees much like woodpecker holes are a sign of insect infestation or are they contributors to a tree's failure?

WE-9341A is my arborist certification number. And its my signature. Sorry for the confusion.

WE-9341A

Shigo`s books are really good & the topic regarding Codit is awesome! He has so many good books, just pick any of em up & read away!

LXT..............

Shigo`s books are really good & the topic regarding Codit is awesome! He has so many good books, just pick any of em up & read away!

LXT..............

Codit ???? Isn't he the bald tv guy from the 80's ....... There is a huge gap between mortaring trees and understanding most of tree biology so it would be like giving my 10 yr old a trig.. book

Thanks lxt ~ I just bought one of his books at Amazon ...

Shigo`s books are really good & the topic regarding Codit is awesome! He has so many good books, just pick any of em up & read away!...

I just bought Shigo's "100 Tree Myths" I'm presuming that mortar for sealing tree faults will be covered.

Whatever happened with your golf course turf damage problem? To bad the solution was offered and you couldn't get over your personal issues see it for what it was. It's exactly what my tractor was designed for and would have completely solved your turf damage problem. Was I asking too much? I'll consider a barter of services. Even though I climb nearly everything, I know there are many time when a bucket truck or a towable lift would be helpful.

Arborist 101 topic!

Arborist 101 poster. Such basic knowledge missing and blindly proceeding with work anyway. 4 years in biz and devoid of decision making information?!. This is why Ekka banned you at TW and why you don't belong in this section of AS. No mods here will punt a troll....arrrrgggghhh.:dizzy:

I just bought Shigo's "100 Tree Myths" I'm presuming that mortar for sealing tree faults will be covered.

Whatever happened with your golf course turf damage problem? To bad the solution was offered and you couldn't get over your personal issues see it for what it was. It's exactly what my tractor was designed for and would have completely solved your turf damage problem. Was I asking too much? I'll consider a barter of services. Even though I climb nearly everything, I know there are many time when a bucket truck or a towable lift would be helpful.

That is not the Shigo book you want to start with. Probably the cheapest tho. You need to know more than what is wrong. You need the "why" and "what is the right thing to do" and you need it badly. Then you need to commit to it unlike your using spikes in pruning without any conscience. Buy the whole collection at a big discount.....then read all of them from cover to cover many times, like a high level arb does.

That is not the Shigo book you want to start with. Probably the cheapest tho. You need to know more than what is wrong. You need the "why" and "what is the right thing to do" and you need it badly. Then you need to commit to it unlike your using spikes in pruning without any conscience. Buy the whole collection at a big discount.....then read all of them from cover to cover many times, like a high level arb does.

DUDE! YUR BACK!

Good!:eek:uttahere2::hmm3grin2orange::rock::msp_thumbup:

Welcome back, you've been missed ...

Learning what is wrong will be a good start for me, and it was the most inexpensive of all his books so I decided to start there. As for pruning with spikes I don't do that very often, and when I do I take great care not to damage the tree. I can be very light-footed with them, only using the points to keep from slipping.

Arborist 101 poster. Such basic knowledge missing and blindly proceeding with work anyway. 4 years in biz and devoid of decision making information?!. This is why Ekka banned you at TW and why you don't belong in this section of AS.

Well this topic may be better suited for Arborist 101 since it is a very basic question. But as far as my posting in this section I do have a commercial operation and I am a climber and that is the section topic.

Good Grief Charlene Brown,

The guy gives you positive encouragement in a nice post and you're getting after him for personal issues because he's not running your lazyboy on wheels?? Unreal!

Learning what is wrong will be a good start for me, and it was the most inexpensive of all his books so I decided to start there. As for pruning with spikes I don't do that very often, and when I do I take great care not to damage the tree. I can be very light-footed with them, only using the points to keep from slipping.

Well this topic may be better suited for Arborist 101 since it is a very basic question. But as far as my posting in this section I do have a commercial operation and I am a climber and that is the section topic.

Wait a minute, at the rate you were supposedly going shouldn't you be able to buy the whole set 10 times over? Don't be cheap and cheat youself out of the educational aspect.

Without it, and giving the way you climb and run your "operation," you won't be in this section for long, for anything.

It was $20 + shipping ...

... A bit over 250 for the books, a little over 400 for the whole shooting match, and you spent 14 bucks?

I bought it at Amazon before I found his website, but thanks for the link.

Hey before I drop that kind of money I'm going to read a little of his work. Besides I'm looking to get his library in ebook form so I can load it on my computers, especially my iPad and use it as an always handy searchable reference. So far I've only found CDs from the author's authorized website:

Home - Shigo and Trees

5000-Photos-CD-cover.gif

Last edited:
Having wrecked a few chains over the years that bit into hidden entombed concrete (plus occaisionally rebar), I question whether the arborist/brick masons of yesteryear appreciably shortened the natural lifespan of any urban tree, Alex Shigo nothwithstanding.

Ditto for trees that were deadwooded/pruned decades ago by climbers wearing spurs. Exception being oak wilt, maybe, but that seems to be a more recent issue.

I think urban trees have far greater and significant hurdles to overcome than being spiked or mortared. Foreign invasive species, soil compaction, turfgrass competition, improper planting/species selection, etc are probably every bit as bad or worse than a cavity getting some ready-mix. And no, I'm not advocating doing same, nor excusing the OP for missing the tree ed 101 class.

Anybody here remember reading an excellent controversial article published in TCI magazine a few years ago by Cass Turnbull (sp?) from Plant Amnesty?
Article was about drop crotch pruning, and how it really doesn't acomplish any significant good at all.

I bought it at Amazon before I found his website, but thanks for the link.

Hey before I drop that kind of money I'm going to read a little of his work. Besides I'm looking to get his library in ebook form so I can load it on my computers, especially my iPad and use it as an always handy searchable reference.

OMG. Read a little? For what? To make sure he knows what he's talking about? I wish your victims would do the same due diligence. All the hard work in the world can't make up for mortar in the brain cavity. Sure, there is some rot there, but certainly the growth is NOT overcoming the decay. So, we should prune appropriately.

If someone wanted to solidify a reputation in an area, why on earth would that person associate themselves with someone who puts mortar in trees?? Any ideas? I'm serious, anyone with some experience in this field should help me out and try and answer that. If I saw someone, or heard of anyone around me doing that, I'd figure a way to make them fix it. I had no idea people still did that crap.

This AA character is really quite helpful though. I no longer have to go to the state fair to make myself feel good, I can just log on to AS. lol

Latest posts

Back