Best method to deal with hollows in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno who, Jeff. But that apple tree pruner is still a "tree guy" AND a "certified arborist", right?
Tell me you don't know of any landscaper/lawn maintenance outfits in your aren't expanding into tree work?
It's always revealing to see when the new Yellow Pages directory comes out in the Spring, who the new guys on the block are.

True, but those guy's don't bid on job's we do. We don't do residential and we don't bid against hack's. But, I see what you are saying.
Jeff

My name is not hard to find, it's on my website, but still, to make it easy for the whackos that haunt the internet (and this forum I suspect) is insulting to say the least. And while my practices might be antiquated and even archaic they seem to be effective. I have not shied away from difficult jobs, I seek them out. Like this one I actually asked for help on. Didn't get it though, so I got a 40' ladder instead and it worked.

6088845125_7a5d9bf166_b.jpg

Yes AA, you asked me to come & do it for you!!!!!! you even started a thread USING my real name as the title, I told you on here then & Now again...................I WAS WORKING @ MY OWN BIZ!!!!!!! I thought those were removals?? why then the need for a ladder?

LXT..............

I'm Doug, you're Doug ~ there are a lot of Dougs

Yes AA, you asked me to come & do it for you!!!!!! you even started a thread USING my real name as the title, I told you on here then & Now again...I WAS WORKING @ MY OWN BIZ!!!!!!! I thought those were removals?? why then the need for a ladder? ...

Lighten up Doug, I only used your first name, same as mine, not a lot to be gleaned from just a first name. Post your full name and SS# if you feel fine about having more than your first name used in an open forum. As to helping me out, you had your own work to do, I understood that. I did it without your lift. I used a 40' ladder instead. Not as elegant or as efficient as a bucket or a lift but it worked.

And yes Jeff, a piece of cake if it weren't for the service line running right under the major lead on the left. Hard to see in the photo, but hard to miss if you were standing under it, or trying to just drop it. The ladder got put up on the limb right by the wires. The tree was too shaky to limb walk out on the limb without something substantial to tie into above it. I elected to keep my weight off of it by using the ladder.

I thought the sign was appropriate because I had to use a ladder in what was a wrong way, a lift or bucket would have been the right way.

Last edited:
Lighten up Doug, I only used your first name, same as mine, not a lot to be gleaned from just a first name. Post your full name and SS# if you feel fine about having more than your first name used in an open forum. As to helping me out, you had your own work to do, I understood that. I did it without your lift. I used a 40' ladder instead. Not as elegant or as efficient as a bucket or a lift but it worked.

And yes Jeff, a piece of cake if it weren't for the service line running right under the major lead on the left. Hard to see in the photo, but hard to miss if you were standing under it, or trying to just drop it. The ladder got put up on the limb right by the wires. The tree was too shaky to limb walk out on the limb without something substantial to tie into above it. I elected to keep my weight off of it by using the ladder.

I thought the sign was appropriate because I had to use a ladder in what was a wrong way, a lift or bucket would have been the right way.

The ladder got put up on the limb right by the wires. The tree was too shaky to limb walk out on the limb without something substantial to tie into above it.

If you're trying to say the tree would have moved too much with you in it, what could have happened to you leaning on the ladder, when the piece you cut falls, or swings or anything else, and taps your ladder.? Gravity

service line running right under the major lead on the left. Hard to see in the photo, but hard to miss if you were standing under it, or trying to just drop it. The ladder got put up on the limb right by the wires.

Looks like it's touching it. That's quite amazing actually. In MI we have laws against being stupid and working within a certain distance from wires like that. I gotta think similar laws exist in PA. What happens if your limb suddenly grazes the wire and you? Considering the shielding on the cable is probably dry-rotted and worn out, willing to fall off at a strong breeze, I think you would complete a very short circuit.

If you'll notice, I answered all my questions. That's for a few reasons. First, I like my answers better than yours. B, I'm tired of hearing BS excuses, that are lame and unplanned. Lastly, I don't really think you could answer them honestly, and not make yourself look like an idiot. And, 4th, I couldn't really care less what you have to say, I just want to point out some things that i noticed when you were so elegantly figuring out which way the chain goes on the saw.

Is this you AA?

[video=youtube_share;OfEM_BUKPKQ]http://youtu.be/OfEM_BUKPKQ[/video]

Aerial Mason- Since you have stated you want to learn the best practices in arboriculture, look into The Electrical Hazard Awareness Program or EHAP for short. It should be available through TCIA. Reading your post makes me cringe. One day, your work practices could cause you serious bodily harm.

If you're trying to say the tree would have moved too much with you in it, what could have happened to you leaning on the ladder, when the piece you cut falls, or swings or anything else, and taps your ladder.? Gravity ... Looks like it's touching it... What happens if your limb suddenly grazes the wire and you? ...

Movement of the limb if my full weight was on it would have been a problem, but my bigger fear was it would just snap off with me on it. There was no good tie in point above the limb. Although I did get a TIP with about a 45 degrees rope angle. Enough to swing me away from the wires (I hoped). I tied the ladder (a 40' fiberglass Warner) to the limb where I placed it to keep it in place.

I used my Stihl pole saw first to whittle the overhanging parts away until I could use my tree saw. A tag line over the wire pulled it clear of the pieces I dropped. Once clear of the wires I then got on the limb and had the ladder taken down. After that, a piece of cake and I saved myself $400 on lxt and his towable lift (which would have been the right way to do it).

If you'll notice, I answered all my questions. That's for a few reasons. First, I like my answers better than yours. B, I'm tired of hearing BS excuses, that are lame and unplanned. Lastly, I don't really think you could answer them honestly, and not make yourself look like an idiot. And, 4th, I couldn't really care less what you have to say...

Yes I've noticed you do that a lot GoE, a symptom of a narcissist, and much easier with a keyboard than in conversations, unless they are with yourself. Another thing you probably do extensively.

If you don't care what I say than why bother to ask, just to allow yourself to blather on about something you know little about? For the record I have answered honestly and you are the idiot.

Last edited:
Is this you AA?

[video=youtube_share;OfEM_BUKPKQ]http://youtu.be/OfEM_BUKPKQ[/video]

Hmmm...I wouldnt think so NC, thats fancy equipment there!

LXT.............

Yes I've noticed you do that a lot GoE, a symptom of a narcissist, and much easier with a keyboard than in conversations, unless they are with yourself. Another thing you probably do extensively.

If you don't care what I say than why bother to ask, just to allow yourself to blather on about something you know little about? For the record I have answered honestly and you are the idiot.

Oh wow, where to begin. First, my obsession is with someone much greater than any of us. I find it humorous that you think I act different here than I would in real life. It tells me you probably do, but lets be honest, who really cares? lol I do talk to myself sometimes. I like to plan and talk things out before jumping right into them. I wouldn't want to just climb the fricking ladder leaning next to power lines. lol Other times it appears I'm talking to myself, I'm in fact talking to God, it gets confused sometimes.

I don't care what you have to say, and I did tell you why I asked. Perhaps a hooked on phonics book should be your next amazon purchase. As far as my knowledge goes, you think I'm the idiot? What must you think of yourself? I've gained more knowledge in my, what will turn out to be very brief, existence, than you have in your lifetime. For example, I knew the following, many years ago:

-Which way the chain goes on the saw, and better, how to figure that out.
-Not to put concrete in trees.
-I'm not a landscaper/lawn guy, so I would have no need for a lawn mower.
-Pay cash for everything.
-Don't lie about things. Stretching truths, and exaggerating, are lies.
-Don't take life too serious, no one gets out alive.
-No matter how good looking she is, there is some guy somewhere tired of putting up with her crap.
-Don't attempt to get too big, too fast, God has a plan, and it's perfect. So is his timing.
-Learn something new everyday at least.
-Proof of MY word is not necessary. Let my yay's be yay's and my nay's be nay's.
-There are a lot of people who hear through their hurts.

In short, if you think I'm an idiot, fine. I lose no sleep, I know my side of the street is clean. I will actually take it as a compliment. I'm not surprised you don't like me. I haven't had any formal spec-ops training in a secret underground bunker. Only way I know how to kill with a pen, is repeated stabbings. I have only been doing this since 2003, so it's no where near your 40 yrs, or whatever number you claim. I don't have a pretty little garden tractor to haul wood. So, I understand your dislike. What I don't understand is why it's taken so long for you to get a clue about life... Some are slow learners I guess.

Oh, and for the record, you lose more and more credibility and respect each time you dodge or ignore questions from people. I know why you post how much you "make" for each job. Its got nothing to do with trying to get people to think you're a high class hack. I'm sure 90% of everyone else knows too. It's the same reason you lied about the Marine thing, and everything else. You want people to like you. It's your life story. Constantly trying to get people to like you by being a people pleaser. It's your MO. I've been in recovery too long not to see through that. You wear a thousand different masks, and act different when you're with different people. It's sad.

Back