Best Mini Skid Steer for tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an sk650 with the branch manager grapple and I love it. The tracks can really leave some ruts though. The grapple is great, but I busted the hydraulic lines in less than a month. I upgraded them to a heavier 3/8 line and haven't had any problems yet. I just feel they could be routed better for protection on those grapples. If anybody has any ideas, let me know. I have to get off the mini every once in a while to move the lines around to make sure they don't get pinched.

Not trying to thread hijack but I really like the Gehl al20 loader and was wondering about parts availability, if I understand correctly they were imported and now they are not and Gehl makes their own small loader. I think one of these would be a great addition to our operation. Also, there is the ditch witch zahn. The lifting capacity isn't amazing but should be zero turf damage.

Gehl has been around for a hundred years, parts should be as easy to obtain as bobcat. They are used widely across the country for muni work.

I run a Vermeer s800tx and love this machine! With the grapple bucket it will pick-up a 35 foot spuce limbs and all and carry it to my chipper with no problems at all (2400lbmax lift). It's width (41") can easliy get through most gates into the yards. I'm not sure what the other machines are priced at but my Vermeer is worth every penny I spent on it! If you do look into Vermeer stay away from the 600, not even close to the same performance.

It's an 800lb max lift with a 2400lb tipping cap. I guess it's all in how you look at it.

I run a Vermeer s800tx and love this machine! With the grapple bucket it will pick-up a 35 foot spuce limbs and all and carry it to my chipper with no problems at all (2400lbmax lift). It's width (41") can easliy get through most gates into the yards. I'm not sure what the other machines are priced at but my Vermeer is worth every penny I spent on it! If you do look into Vermeer stay away from the 600, not even close to the same performance.

That is a damn nice machine, I wish more companies made their minis with those specs. I really like that it has high and low flow hydraulics, that's badass.

I am starting to think that or a small skid steer is the way to go. The sk500 is way better than man power no doubt, but I want something that can do more.

and I am not talking about no 15 horse skid either. 30hp minimum (ducati)

LOL, don't knock it till you've tried it!

I should have taken video of that lil bastard running around like crazy in a lot last week HANDLING sumac trees. It was really amazing to see what it's capable of. Big huge lifts, and fast. Honestly, it doesn't need anymore power for it's size, and it sips fuel too. Over all, I was really impressed.

Post that vid!

The real best mini skid is the one that gets the job done and you don't make payments on.

It was a fun job, 9 sumacs in an autobody lot all cut and chuck and drops. Being able to zip in with the cat and grab large limbs for processing was just incredibly efficient. I am thrilled with the purchase, $3600 1400hrs all in with HD grapple bucket.

I have a Dingo 420 and love it. The benefits of these minis is that they are easy to transport. We find that when you have those jobs that are a little far away and you dont want to drag the skid steer out to move the butt its easy to bring the mini. We almost always bring it on any removal. When it comes to soft lawns its great becuase it you can lay plywood down length wise and still turn around on it. I demod track and tire machine the choice to get tracks was quick the tired unit was very jerky and controls were difficult.

To get around the speed issue I still bring the ball cart because moving large rounds out is not that bad its picking it up thats the problum which is resolved with the dingo. Even though it wont dump over the sides of my International it will go into the back then we just roll large rounds up to the front.

On the topic of engine size, I have no problum with only being 20hp it sips gas and I rarely ever have it throtled up past half, unless I am running a trencher, augeror harley rake.

I have a clam shell bucket for mine and have great luck with it. Nice for cleaning up grindings, and works perfect on logs that are 18 inches or smaller squezess right around them like a grapple. When it come to bigger pieces it sometimes a little balancing act but it doesnt take long to fig out.

Articulated Loader is the way to go ...

Not trying to thread hijack but I really like the Gehl al20 loader and was wondering about parts availability, if I understand correctly they were imported and now they are not and Gehl makes their own small loader. I think one of these would be a great addition to our operation. Also, there is the ditch witch zahn. The lifting capacity isn't amazing but should be zero turf damage.

Using my articulated tractor has totally convinced me that when I buy a loader it will be a wheeled articulated machine. The Gehl looks good, but I'm very interested in the DW Zahn. Has anyone had any experience with one?

[video=youtube;MGU56mht5DI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGU56mht5DI&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Using my articulated tractor has totally convinced me that when I buy a loader it will be a wheeled articulated machine. The Gehl looks good, but I'm very interested in the DW Zahn. Has anyone had any experience with one?

[video=youtube;MGU56mht5DI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGU56mht5DI&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

I would have chosen the gehl 140 over my bobcat, but the pricing was just to extreme. Maybe next year when I get sick of laying down 3/4 everywhere I go.

As for the ZAHN, I think I'd choke when I found out how much those individual front ends go for lol.

Last edited:
vid

Sombebody had a video of a Zahn with duals on. Moving brush to the curb--chipper. For the money a Gehl would do more with lifting height.

Here's the Zahn at work ...

Sombebody had a video of a Zahn with duals on. Moving brush to the curb--chipper. For the money a Gehl would do more with lifting height.

That would be this one:

[video=youtube;24LgDmnzORU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24LgDmnzORU[/video]

The Zahn gives up lifting height but wins on compact size and less turf damage, especially with the 8 wheel setup as in the video. I see it as a perfect compliment to my 8 wheel Steiner for forwarding and loading brush and logs to my chipper and dump truck..

That would be this one:

[video=youtube;24LgDmnzORU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24LgDmnzORU[/video]

The Zahn gives up lifting height but wins on compact size and less turf damage, especially with the 8 wheel setup as in the video. I see it as a perfect Replacement to my 8 wheel Steiner waste of moneyfor forwarding and loading brush and logs to my chipper and dump truck..

Fixed

I'm at the Ditchwitch dealer now ...

But they are closed on Saturday. They've got a Zahn on the showroom though. I guess I'll have to come back during the week.

The Steiner continues to more than earn it's keep regardless of what the Fools here say. Working together with the Zahn seems like a great setup. I can get a skid stear cheap for a day if I need more power.

Back