Best Rivet Spinner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIG JAKE

BIG JAKE

Let’s go Brandon!
What I was looking for was something like: "yeah-I got the vice grip type. Much better than.....", Or: "Don't buy this one it wore out first year, crappy quality." Or maybe: "you don't need a chain breaker, just grind off the rivet and punch it out", etc.

I go thru alot of chains-ragbark cedar. Holds alot of sand. Plus I just inherited a bunch of chain from my Dad. Too old to cut anymore.

You ever use any?

skwerl

skwerl

Will Climb for food
The tips are replaceable, don't know if different brands are interchangeable. I haven't had mine very long.

Some are a cast body, others are pressed out of steel plate. I suspect the cast will have less flex and should hold up better. The one I got was cast. I bought it from CCD but they are no longer in business.

Here's the pressed style:
SBC.jpg

Here's the cast style:
rivet_spinner.gif

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
who makes one that is cast? i have the woodsman pro one from baileys. it's a little bigger and better built than the oregon set up i used to have. i wear the spinner tips out pretty quick, but i think it's my fault.

Last edited:
Crofter

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Roller chain is a lot thicker, dont know if it would come in far enough. Next thing is the cup for the preset and the anvil would have to be designed for the same rivet head diameter and thickness to get proper upset in the sideplate. I have the pressed metal model from Baileys and did have some trouble with breaking anvils but the replacemnt ones are ok. Lube the anvil for each rivet head is the secret.

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have the heavier plate steel type, the same as the Oregon Pro spinner and breaker and it works perfectly.

I had a Foley cast spinner from years ago and I could never spin a good rivet, I always assumed that it was just me. After it was suggested to me that the spinner may have skewed axis between the anvils I bought this other one and am happy to report that this may be the case because the new spinner does work perfectly. A drop of oil on the rivet does work wonders.

I also have a granberg Break and Mend that works pretty well. It`s a good tool for field repairs, if you do that sort of thing, because it will reshape the formerly spun rivet so that it can be used again.

Russ