Best saw for 28"-32"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

energyrail

Reaction score
What should I be looking for to run a 28-32" bar?
what's the minimum cc?
occasional use cleaning up lake property.
maybe put a 20-24" on for other times.

My PP 5020 doesn't run the 20" very well.

what's the minimum cc?

Bare minimum 70cc. 462 or a 572. Better yet 500i. Echo 7310 is a good 28” bar saw but anything longer is pushing it in my opinion.

Thanks for the quick answers.
not far from what I was thinking.
I bought a 355t echo for packing on the dirtbike. pretty impressive little unit.

If I buy oem 70cc plus the Echo 7310 cathes my eye. But I think the Husky's might be cheaper in Canada.

Been reading about the clone saws.
So many ways to go there.
Was thinking about building a 88-92 cc
or buying complete.

But thought maybe a Sthil,Husky or echo 60 cc might run a 28" good enough. and keep it under a $1000

I've always run a 28" on my Stihl 400. I picked up a lightweight 25" when I bought it, but I ended up putting the 28" on shortly afterwards. It has enough power to pull the 28"...the 32" isn't that great w/o finding more power and improving the oiler. I like the 400 because it's 70cc class power with 60cc class weight.

Other options for a 32" would be any of the 70cc+ sized saws...ms462, 372xp, 7310. I usually run a 28" on the 462R I use at work, but it occasionally runs a 32" w/o issue.

what's the minimum cc?

How often a 28" and in hard or soft wood?

A 562 can pull a 28" skip in softwood with no troubles. I wouldn't bet my life on a hardwood with a 28". Go up to the 70cc there. A 562 can pull a 20 or 24" all day long in just about anything. 20" full comp, especially.

For a 32" go 80-90cc both for wear/tear and balance in the hands.

The 562 can manage a 24" in hardwood and thats pushing it. 20" is its happy place. The ms400 runs a 24"happily in hardwood but it's at its max imo. I wouldn't run larger then a 28" in hardwood in the 70cc class saws. Jump up to a 90cc if in hardwoods. My 390xp and 394xp work much better with 28"+ bars then any 70cc saw. Soft woods can be a different story,

Softwood spruce. Hard wood- cotton wood and aspen. technically hardwood but probably not like cutting in oak.
Once a year I'll need the 28-32 bar.

Softwood spruce. Hard wood- cotton wood and aspen. technically hardwood but probably not like cutting in oak.
Once a year I'll need the 28-32 bar.
For once a year in that type of wood 70cc is plenty saw for up to 32" ... just be nice and don't push it too much.
You can get a 80 - 90cc saw to be cool....but you're not going to use it nearly as much as you would a 70cc saw.... plus they are quite a bit more money.

For once a year in that type of wood 70cc is plenty saw for up to 32" ... just be nice and don't push it too much.
You can get a 80 - 90cc saw to be cool....but you're not going to use it nearly as much as you would a 70cc saw.... plus they are quite a bit more money.
The 500I is around the same weight as the 440 but more power and a real snappy throttle response.

5 cube class saw ,80cc or better in any of the professional level brands.
People are brave enough to run a 28" bar on a 455 rancher or MS250 but that doesn't mean sh¡t for reality . If you'd like to just have it run and not baby it or constantly lift in the cut go 80cc or better.

A great point, don't buy a 70cc saw. Get a 60 and 90cc saw. No need to second guess if the 70cc saw is going to get the job done with a 28 or 32" bar, and deffinatly no need to fun full skip to make up for the lack of power with a 90cc saw. Heck run a 36" full comp, cake walk.
Better just do it to be cool rather then have a saw that can truly do the heavy lifting.

Running a 28” bar on a 60cc saw - you running skip or full comp?
Full comp.
I'm sure skip would be better with the bar buried in wood, but I don't like skip chain when the bar's not buried because it's not as smooth cutting in smaller wood imo.
If I was cutting lots of big wood I'd certainly use a bigger saw... but for the occasional big log I don't want to pack around an 80 or 90cc saw.

Back