Best saw for 28"-32"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
energyrail

energyrail

What should I be looking for to run a 28-32" bar?
what's the minimum cc?
occasional use cleaning up lake property.
maybe put a 20-24" on for other times.

My PP 5020 doesn't run the 20" very well.

ballisticdoughnut

ballisticdoughnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
what's the minimum cc?

Bare minimum 70cc. 462 or a 572. Better yet 500i. Echo 7310 is a good 28” bar saw but anything longer is pushing it in my opinion.

energyrail

energyrail

Thanks for the quick answers.
not far from what I was thinking.
I bought a 355t echo for packing on the dirtbike. pretty impressive little unit.

If I buy oem 70cc plus the Echo 7310 cathes my eye. But I think the Husky's might be cheaper in Canada.

Been reading about the clone saws.
So many ways to go there.
Was thinking about building a 88-92 cc
or buying complete.

But thought maybe a Sthil,Husky or echo 60 cc might run a 28" good enough. and keep it under a $1000

Sierra_rider

Sierra_rider

Piss revver
I've always run a 28" on my Stihl 400. I picked up a lightweight 25" when I bought it, but I ended up putting the 28" on shortly afterwards. It has enough power to pull the 28"...the 32" isn't that great w/o finding more power and improving the oiler. I like the 400 because it's 70cc class power with 60cc class weight.

Other options for a 32" would be any of the 70cc+ sized saws...ms462, 372xp, 7310. I usually run a 28" on the 462R I use at work, but it occasionally runs a 32" w/o issue.

HumBurner

HumBurner

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
what's the minimum cc?

How often a 28" and in hard or soft wood?

A 562 can pull a 28" skip in softwood with no troubles. I wouldn't bet my life on a hardwood with a 28". Go up to the 70cc there. A 562 can pull a 20 or 24" all day long in just about anything. 20" full comp, especially.

For a 32" go 80-90cc both for wear/tear and balance in the hands.

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
The 562 can manage a 24" in hardwood and thats pushing it. 20" is its happy place. The ms400 runs a 24"happily in hardwood but it's at its max imo. I wouldn't run larger then a 28" in hardwood in the 70cc class saws. Jump up to a 90cc if in hardwoods. My 390xp and 394xp work much better with 28"+ bars then any 70cc saw. Soft woods can be a different story,

Sawdust Man

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
AS Supporting Member
Softwood spruce. Hard wood- cotton wood and aspen. technically hardwood but probably not like cutting in oak.
Once a year I'll need the 28-32 bar.
For once a year in that type of wood 70cc is plenty saw for up to 32" ... just be nice and don't push it too much.
You can get a 80 - 90cc saw to be cool....but you're not going to use it nearly as much as you would a 70cc saw.... plus they are quite a bit more money.

lone wolf
For once a year in that type of wood 70cc is plenty saw for up to 32" ... just be nice and don't push it too much.
You can get a 80 - 90cc saw to be cool....but you're not going to use it nearly as much as you would a 70cc saw.... plus they are quite a bit more money.
The 500I is around the same weight as the 440 but more power and a real snappy throttle response.

Maintenance supervisor

Maintenance supervisor

Every 100yrs, All new people...
. AS Supporting Member.
5 cube class saw ,80cc or better in any of the professional level brands.
People are brave enough to run a 28" bar on a 455 rancher or MS250 but that doesn't mean sh¡t for reality . If you'd like to just have it run and not baby it or constantly lift in the cut go 80cc or better.

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
A great point, don't buy a 70cc saw. Get a 60 and 90cc saw. No need to second guess if the 70cc saw is going to get the job done with a 28 or 32" bar, and deffinatly no need to fun full skip to make up for the lack of power with a 90cc saw. Heck run a 36" full comp, cake walk.
Better just do it to be cool rather then have a saw that can truly do the heavy lifting.

Sawdust Man

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
AS Supporting Member
Running a 28” bar on a 60cc saw - you running skip or full comp?
Full comp.
I'm sure skip would be better with the bar buried in wood, but I don't like skip chain when the bar's not buried because it's not as smooth cutting in smaller wood imo.
If I was cutting lots of big wood I'd certainly use a bigger saw... but for the occasional big log I don't want to pack around an 80 or 90cc saw.

Latest posts