40:1 Poor Man’s Richen Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If you have a chainsaw that is running lean and adjusting the carb is not an option, would changing the mix from 50:1 to 40:1 or 32:1 essentially richen the carb without touching any carb settings?

Just curious - thanks!

You have to find out why its running lean and fix the problem, plugged jet, leaking seal, gasket or carb boot are some things to consider. In reality, changing from 32:1 to 40:1 for example is so small of an amount, it's not going to affect the F/A ratio enough to notice. Going from 40:1 to 60:1 might, but probably not.

Oh yes, it makes a significant change!!! I`ve tested it by myself and my saw (MS 361) turned around 1500 rpm higher without adjusting the carburetor using 25:1 instead of 50:1.
No it doesn’t. The heat soak of the engine, temperature, humidity, how much fuel in the tank, even slightly more or less tension on the chain all make a drastically bigger difference to rpm than fractions of a ml.. if you’re getting 1.5k difference in rpm, it’s not the oil.

Back