Best saw for wife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
With the weather around here lately I have been gone alot working. Since I am not around my wife is the one who has been clearing the fence of branches and trees, been clearing to the road so she can get out, all that wind, snow, freezing rain, etc type stuff.

I need to find her a saw that she can use handily and is not to heavy. The 2100, 460, 034, are all to heavey for her to use safely and she doesn't like to use them either, she says that there just to big for her and she doesn't feel safe running them.

What would you get for your wife that isn't afraid of running a saw but only stands 5 foot even and about 100#'s soaking wet? My boy(11) has been out helping with his 034 AV but after a short time he even gets bogged down down. He goes 5 foot 8 and runs about 120#'s but just doesn't have the strength or experience to keep good control but he's learnin and gettin there quick.

I would like to stay in the pro series saws just because they last longer and take moderate abuse better(decomp valve is almost a neccesity). Something that will pull and 18-20 and still in the small range would be perfect.

Lets assume(ya I know) that price matters not. Stihl preferably Husky second. Thats all anyone runs around these parts and I know can be serviced well and competently.

Thanks for any help

Owl

Last edited:
Mine runs a ported 036.
She loves it. She doesn't care for saws larger than a 044. She only weighs 125 lbs.

All she ran when she was in fire was a 036 and she wont change.

Hmmmmm......in the pro line of Stihl......it is tough to beat the MS 361 with an 18 or 20 inch bar :bowdown: They cost about $570-$600 buck range. Your wife would just luv ya that much more if ya got her one of those >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Last edited:
Id say something around 353/357xp should do fine..

Since im ~135lbs myself (~61kg) and i have no trouble running 353 allday long...

Since he said she found an 034 too big, the 036/361 and 357XP are all out as well.

In pro saws staying Stihl, you have an 026/260, or an MS 200.

In Husky, you have the 338 or whatever their rear handle like the MS 200 is called, the 346XP or the 353.

The MS200 is as light as they come for the most part, plus has adequate power, and for a woman I can't think of a better one, but just my opinion!
Greg Harrison

Husky 339 XP or Stihl MS200 would be my choice. There was an article here a time ago about many female woodworkers loving the 339. Has rear handle, 0.325 chain, 2,4 hp and light weight. i guess the MS200 is about the same saw. Take whichever she feels lies best in the hands.

/Peter

Husky 339 XP or Stihl MS200 would be my choice. There was an article here a time ago about many female woodworkers loving the 339. Has rear handle, 0.325 chain, 2,4 hp and light weight. i guess the MS200 is about the same saw. Take whichever she feels lies best in the hands.

/Peter

IMO, even if women will use a saw it doesnt have to be the lightest saw on world...

im still saying 353/346 is fine...

IMO, even if women will use a saw it doesnt have to be the lightest saw on world...

im still saying 353/346 is fine...

You have a good point, the 2.4 hp is more than the MS200 and if it feels just as good then it would be a better choice. The 339XP, a new saw would definitely be worth a look!
greg Harrison

Last edited:
Just take her down to your local saw shop.My other picked out the ms170 and loves it for what she does.

Forgot one thing:

When women choose things, they are not interested in hp or fancy performance. They look at the ........ color !
Ask her if she prefers orange or white/orange ;)

Yes. take a look at the 339, think I will do it too. Have a MS170 for the girlfriend but I don't like the small 3/8 and the saw is so plastic. Low price though.

/Peter

dont forget shindaiwa.

the 377 is the smoothest little saw i have had hold of.

and at 9 lbs and 2.5 hp surprises even me

Last edited:
Just take her down to your local saw shop.

...and let her handle the saws. A 260 likes a 16" bar, but will pull a 20" bar (.325", .063" chain), but won't like it and it will be slow going...but you want a small Pro saw for her. Don't know if you can have both.

Kevin

...and let her handle the saws. A 260 likes a 16" bar, but will pull a 20" bar (.325", .063" chain), but won't like it and it will be slow going...but you want a small Pro saw for her. Don't know if you can have both.

Kevin

Huskys, Jonsereds and Dolmars have a lot less vibes in the 50 cc class......:)

With the weather around here lately I have been gone alot working. Since I am not around my wife is the one who has been clearing the fence of branches and trees, been clearing to the road so she can get out, all that wind, snow, freezing rain, etc type stuff.

I need to find her a saw that she can use handily and is not to heavy. The 460, 084, 034, are all to heavey for her to use safely and she doesn't like to use them either, she says that there just to big for her and she doesn't feel safe running them.

What would you get for your wife that isn't afraid of running a saw but only stands 5 foot even and about 100#'s soaking wet? My boy(11) has been out helping with his 034 AV but after a short time he even gets bogged down down. He goes 5 foot 8 and runs about 120#'s but just doesn't have the strength or experience to keep good control but he's learnin and gettin there quick.

I would like to stay in the pro series saws just because they last longer and take moderate abuse better(decomp valve is almost a neccesity). Something that will pull and 18-20 and still in the small range would be perfect.

Lets assume(ya I know) that price matters not. Stihl preferably Husky second. Thats all anyone runs around these parts and I know can be serviced well and competently.

Thanks for any help

Owl
Let her pick it out that way she wont blame you for getting her the wrong saw!Maybe a pretty red Jred 2152?

Back