Best setup for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roland_LG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If you were going to be bucking 200 cords of logs a year, what size of a saw and what bar length would you go with?

I was thinking a Dolmar 7900, but wasn't sure if I should go with 20" or 24" for the bar.

yeah, surely you don't mean 200 cords...unless, for some reason, you are neither felling nor splitting nor transporting the logs, but ONLY bucking. Husky is right - 200 cords is something to be handled by a mechanized wood processor.

Last edited:
One 7900 and one bar for 200 cords....? I think you need slightly more equipment than that. Several saws, more bars, and many chains. Along with the paraphenalia that goes with the job!:)

I would say the 7900 with 24" and the 5100 with 18" are a great combo but not for 200 cords I hope you ment 20

Jeff

Nope, I'm afraid you've read correctly. I'll be shooting for 200. Logs delivered to the lot, buck buck buck, supersplitter with 24' conveyor, skid-steer loader, 7 x 14 dump trailer.

I'm just looking for ideas for the fastest saw setups.

This could be a great test run for the Dolmar reliability/durability issue. It seems when the 7900 gets compared to the 660 around here, at some point in the thread the issue of reliablity comes up.

Great idea! Now if I could just get Husky, Stihl and Dolmar each to donate a saw ...

:greenchainsaw:

Take a crack at it. It would only cost you the time it took to compose an email to each manufacturers marketing department. If it were to work, let us all know and attach the email sent. :clap:

200 cords is achievable. I've done 100 or so myself in the last year on pretty much just the weekends. Most of it is still unsplit though. But without any splitter.

Go with the Dolmar and let us know when you don't break it.:givebeer:

if you dont have drag the saw around the woods geta 880 with a b and c that will give you a little extra on your largest logs 880 might be a little spendy but im assuming that your selling the wood and with that amount you should be able to recoop that cost

Nope, I'm afraid you've read correctly. I'll be shooting for 200. Logs delivered to the lot, buck buck buck, supersplitter with 24' conveyor, skid-steer loader, 7 x 14 dump trailer.

I'm just looking for ideas for the fastest saw setups.

I have many many customers that do that and more with a 7900 and a TW5 or TW6 splitter and conveyor. I had 1 guy that used to cut split and convey 12-13 full cord a day with a 120si he had a homemade version of a TW6 powered by a 20 hp onan

Scott

You might want to look at getting two bigger saws to give one a break in between. I would be looking at a good 70cc saw for that job. Husqvarna 372xp Stihl 440/460 or Dolmar 7900.

What size logs are you looking at cutting? Hardwood or softwood?

You really couldn't go wrong with the 7900. Get a 20" bar and a 28", and you'll be set. You could go bigger if your logs warrant it (066 or 660+dp muffler cover), but the price and weight increase would be substantial.

I agree on multiple saws. 2 mininum, as things happen and that is an ambitious schedule.

What I hate about cutting logs that have been handled by machines is that everyplace that has been dragged or grabbed has grit ground in that is heck on chains, which makes things go much slower.

You need more then 1 saw for this. It looks like you will be busy, and I don't think you want to be changing bars out for larger and smaller stuff.

What size of logs will you be cutting?

26" bar works for most stuff I cut,

I also have a 33" as well, if your cutting 36" dia logs.

I would say for you a 50-60cc pro saw, and a 70-90cc pro saw.

me and another guy did about 40 cord that was stacked by a forwarder,took us about 3weeks just to cut it 16" and we had one guy cutting and another running a machine with tongs on it to hold the logs of the ground.
he has a 460 and I had my 7900,we worked the crap out of both saws and each other.
lots of dirt and grit on the wood= lots of sharpening and such,things always happen that slow you down too.
our butts were dragging,we both said next time we will get a processor!!

You might want to look at getting two bigger saws to give one a break in between. I would be looking at a good 70cc saw for that job. Husqvarna 372xp Stihl 440/460 or Dolmar 7900.

Huskydave has got it right at least for up here in Canada. We use these saws almost exclusively to buck hardwood 30 in dia. and under for 100 cord per year with some years nearing 200 cord with two men cutting,two splitting and one running a 620 Case loader and a 8000 Ford dump truck. We only do this part time as we all have full time jobs. The saws get rotated out of service around 400 cords on each one and have never had any engine work only maintenance . Blow out every day with comp air,clean out clutch side cover,bar and groove clean and turn over etc. Good grade of mix oil, you know the best at 40 to 1 and lots of bar and chain oil. MS 440-372 XP -120 Sachs Supers Pioneerguy600

Back