Best setup for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree on multiple saws. 2 mininum, as things happen and that is an ambitious schedule.

What I hate about cutting logs that have been handled by machines is that everyplace that has been dragged or grabbed has grit ground in that is heck on chains, which makes things go much slower.

Cut all trees off stump in the winter,ground frozen snow covered and no dragging on ground. Pile them up on skids off the ground and cut them up any time and they stay nice and clean and easy on the chains.

Last edited:
Firewood saw setup

I use a Dolmar 120si with a 20" bar and a Dolmar 116si with 18" for slashing hardwood (soft maple, beech , ash, yellow birch) into 4's and 8's from tree length delivered to a wood yard. I did 286 cord last year for people who pay the extra for 4s or 8s vesus the tree length. I take turns and run a tank through each saw and touch up or change chains every other tank full. We use a Mack racker with overhead grapler to deliver too the customers. The Mack will tote 10 cord of length and we have a 3 cord minimum. We don't process any further than that and even that is a breakeven proposition. This year I'm thinking it will only be tree length. We did have a guy come round with a Lanier Hydraulics processor for a demo that was quite the rig but also pretty big bucks. It used a special guillotine type blade to pull (the log), chop it to size and push through a rotating splitter that you set for whatever you wanted ie 1/2s, 1/4s, up to 8 pieces I believe. Pretty cool rig and no chips too speak of and yep I'm way off the thread.

Back