Best Splitting Axe - Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, using a block to split wood is much easier on my back. And I don't want my axe/maul hitting the ground either.

I've found that splitting wood with a maul is good for your back. Since 81 Ive done at least 5000 cords, 50% of that with a 6# maul and it never bothered me if I hit dirt, rock etc., and my back is still A1. Knock on wood. Had I put every block on a chopping block I'd still be on the first 1000 cords. Wasn't it DDM that was using a flat piece of 1/2" sheet metal as a chopping block? Lol
Gypo

I've found that splitting wood with a maul is good for your back. Since 81 Ive done at least 5000 cords, 50% of that with a 6# maul and it never bothered me if I hit dirt, rock etc., and my back is still A1. Knock on wood. Had I put every block on a chopping block I'd still be on the first 1000 cords. Wasn't it DDM that was using a flat piece of 1/2" sheet metal as a chopping block? Lol
Gypo

I use a 8lb maul If I didn't use a chopping block I would just be bashing the wood into the ground, I want the wood I'm trying to split to absorb the full impact not the ground beneath it.

I use a 8lb maul If I didn't use a chopping block I would just be bashing the wood into the ground, I want the wood I'm trying to split to absorb the full impact not the ground beneath it.
After so many years of splitting wood, I had to learn to split under all conditions including deep snow, mud, 12" of moss and on slopes. The best though is a nice clean, flat landing.
Gypo

Never hit myself when splitting with those axes and i'm 193cm/6,3' , i split on the ground in the woods and on a splitting block with a car tire mounted on top when at home the last option really speeds up the splitting :)

Bucket

I'm a little bit late to this thread, but my grandfather had a bucket of sand with old motor oil in it that he sunk his splitting axe head into when he was finished splitting for a while

It kept the handle tight and the head from rusting.

Well, I've just finished an epic week end of log splitting - I reckon I'm now sorted for burning season 2011 - 2012!

Yes, that middle axe is a Gransfors maul. It isn't too short (I'm 6'3"), and I do use a block - generally one of the rounds from whatever tree I am chopping up. I do all of the splitting next to the log pile, otherwise it is too much of a pain to restack the longs.

I was using both the lever axe and the maul, they make a brilliant combination. For a reasonably sane round (not completely knotted) the lever axe is the ideal tool, because you don't have to pick all of the bits up time and again. Imagine you have a big round - say 32" across. You dump it on the block, spilt it. You move both halves, then split them. Then you move 4 quarters, and split them. You might even move 8 eights, and split them. Then you pick the whole lot up and stack it. With the lever axe, you just keep splitting lumps off the round, no picking up until the end. The car tyre does the same sort of thing. That said, when you need brute force, reach for the maul.

The small axe in the picture is wonderful for making kindling - a one handed splitting axe. You can chop a lump into matchsticks in a few seconds.

I picked up a lightly used Fiskars SS from a member here on the Trading Post the last time Bailey's had a sale (saved a few bucks).

I'd gone through all of the bipolar threads of those that loved it, and those that hated it, and was interested in giving it a try.

Bottom line is that it isn't magic, but it is very well designed. The short handle felt odd holding it, but not when swinging. The length didn't cause me any difficulty because I split on a log, and not on the ground.

In general, it works better when I don't swing it all the way around, like I do a maul. Just hold it over your head and bring it down. For big pieces, or tough hickory, I can swing it all the way around, but it makes it hard to keep the head vertical, and if you hit near the edge with the head on an angle, the head has a tendency to spring to the side.

I would say that the design makes it work like the head was 3 pounds heavier than it is, and I can swing a lot longer and a lot safer without the extra 3 pounds.

I have used car tire since 1989

KIRVES: Heikki Vipukirves :agree2:

That site has some super cool photos. Really like the one with all the logs wrapped together in that cart. You could load the wood and split right there and save quite a few steps.

I'm late to the party, but that splitting tool also looks cool.

That is all kinds of interesting

That site has some super cool photos. Really like the one with all the logs wrapped together in that cart. You could load the wood and split right there and save quite a few steps.

I'm late to the party, but that splitting tool also looks cool.

---what a neat design! And ya, the hauling/splitting trailer is nice as well.

You look at something as ancient as the ax, from caveman days on, and we are still making it better.

I was at wallyworld today, they have the 28 inch x25 SS, BUT it has a redesigned head compared to the model I bought last year. It is broader in the blade like the new 36 inch handle, and has the splitter wings beveled better so it doesn't get stuck as easy in the round. 40 clams.

They also had the fiskars machete! Me want. Lacks a scabbard, but it is light and sharp and the handle is A-1, 15 bucks.

What I would like from them is the machete, but with the two hands sized handle like they have on the brushhook. I made something like that ages ago with a regular machete and a cut off axe handle, worked great. Even added a custom brass hilt just for fun. It took a hike with my other cool stuff when my storage locker got robbed :(

The best one I have used is the Fiskars Super Splitter (heavy axe, not maul) - but I have of course not tried them all.....

I mostly use a (wooden) splitting block.

Last edited:
I used to use 8 Lb maul until I tried a Fiskars Super Splitter, I don't use the maul anymore I find the Fiskars more efficient.

Back