Husqvarna s2800 splitting axe source

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have read many a post about the s2800 splitting axe but not a thread of recent vintage. Has the s2800 gained more acceptance? Many people fear it is too short but others say it's fine. I am 6'2" tall, so, it's a concern. I have also seen people say if you use a chopping block, the s2800 will be great. I do that but also split on the ground.

If I buy one, I want the best price, obviously! I sent a PM to "spike" on here, as I guess he has a store? I haven't heard back. Where can one buy one (online or mailorder) for a good price?

Any new opinions on the 'best' splitting axe? (I have/like Fiskars x27.)

If you already have a X27, I would consider getting an Isocore maul (also made by Fiskars). It has a 8 lb head and a 36" handle. The Isocore works well to bust the biggun's open and then use the X27 to finish them off. The S2800 looks nice, but it isn't that much different than what you have. JMO

If you already have a X27, I would consider getting an Isocore maul (also made by Fiskars). It has a 8 lb head and a 36" handle. The Isocore works well to bust the biggun's open and then use the X27 to finish them off. The S2800 looks nice, but it isn't that much different than what you have. JMO
The 2800 hits with a lot more force than an X27. There is definitely a difference and room for both in an arsenal if you already have an X27.

FWIW I have a S2800 and it's my tool of choice. It's the best splitting tool I've ever used. I just bought an Isocore just for the heck of it and will be trying it out next week.

I have read many a post about the s2800 splitting axe but not a thread of recent vintage. Has the s2800 gained more acceptance? Many people fear it is too short but others say it's fine. I am 6'2" tall, so, it's a concern. I have also seen people say if you use a chopping block, the s2800 will be great. I do that but also split on the ground.

If I buy one, I want the best price, obviously! I sent a PM to "spike" on here, as I guess he has a store? I haven't heard back. Where can one buy one (online or mailorder) for a good price?

Any new opinions on the 'best' splitting axe? (I have/like Fiskars x27.)
Spike has the best price anywhere if you are in his area but with shipping it isn't. Just do a google search and buy from the cheapest site that has good feedback.

Regarding the handle length, it doesn't take long at all to get used to.

One other thought. Lots of folks who haven't used one are not yet believers on the S2800. But remember when the X27 came out, folks looked at it one paper and said it wouldn't work either.

Hey @svk, I'd LOVE to get together and split some wood sometime. I really want to try the isocore and the s2800, but don't really want to keep buying splitting tools without getting to try them out.

I'll just PM you, why don't I.

Hey @svk, I'd LOVE to get together and split some wood sometime. I really want to try the isocore and the s2800, but don't really want to keep buying splitting tools without getting to try them out.

I'll just PM you, why don't I.
I'm game. Just need to get up to the hunting cabin to grab the S2800

I bought one last year . Was thinking getting to old , had the old soltz monster maul an was not getting the job done . The s2800 got production up were I felt young again . At one time with the monster maul people in the house said they could feel it .

Back