Best splitting maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caveat Emptor: When I purchased from Ace on the 12th, they said I should be receiving the axe on the 17th. I just got a note my email this morning saying they had shipped it this morning! To top it off, I won't be receiving it now until the 24th. Funny how the lowest price always has the slowest shipping time and the worst customer service. Bottom line: if you need to get the axe to actually use it soon, buy elsewhere.

You have to remember that Fiskars are selling A LOT OF AXES just now....They have a very hard time to keep up with the supply...I have had over 40 000+ viewers on my Youtube video the last 4 days....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAOYLMU1Wc
101304viewers.JPG

People are going "Fiskars AKKAMAAN nuts" all over the world......
:rock:

Last edited:
Caveat Emptor: When I purchased from Ace on the 12th, they said I should be receiving the axe on the 17th. I just got a note my email this morning saying they had shipped it this morning! To top it off, I won't be receiving it now until the 24th. Funny how the lowest price always has the slowest shipping time and the worst customer service. Bottom line: if you need to get the axe to actually use it soon, buy elsewhere.

Caveat Emptor: acehardwareoutlet.com is just a hardware store in New York. If you want the item from ACE Hardware, just call your local store and ask for it. If they don't have it in-stock, they can get it for you within 3 days.

Caveat Emptor: acehardwareoutlet.com is just a hardware store in New York. If you want the item from ACE Hardware, just call your local store and ask for it. If they don't have it in-stock, they can get it for you within 3 days.

I had to go through Amazon because my local shops didn't want to go to the trouble to special order.

In response to KodiakKen who demonstrated his mauls on the 11.4.2009, he refers to the Gransfors Bruks Maul with an expensive "Stihl" logo. Gransfors Bruks are very high quality tools. Each axe and maul head have the initials of the individual craftsman who forged them embedded in them, and furthermore Gransfors Bruk tools are expensive. You do pay for quality. The Stihl maul as shown, is clearly not a Gransfors Bruk product.

In response to KodiakKen who demonstrated his mauls on the 11.4.2009, he refers to the Gransfors Bruks Maul with an expensive "Stihl" logo. Gransfors Bruks are very high quality tools. Each axe and maul head have the initials of the individual craftsman who forged them embedded in them, and furthermore Gransfors Bruk tools are expensive. You do pay for quality. The Stihl maul as shown, is clearly not a Gransfors Bruk product.

I bought thier 5.5 lbs. splitting maul for $155.00 US. Great maul.

Gransfors Bruk Splitting Maul

It appears to me that 5.5lbs. is a bit light and the handle a little short for heavy work, such as knotted wood and other hard to split stuff. I know that it is a quality tool, but what makes it special compared to, for instance, your average 6lb. or even 8lb maul? I am curious.

more research..this is an "oxhead" maul with an expensive "Stihl" sticker on it

View attachment 301294View attachment 301295View attachment 301296View attachment 301297

this has some german markings as you can see in the new pics. and there is an embedded stamp with letters of the crafter. Tried to see if they are made by the same company. Still not happy with it. The leading edge is too thin. It sticks like an axe. I never said it was poor quality or craftsmanship. Just didn't work for me as well as others. But being a Stihl nut. I had to have it. nuff said

Last edited:
Each maul or Splitting tool had it's place. I use the 6# or 16# maul if the round it's sitting on the ground. If you split through and hit a rock in the dirt with a heavy maul, the handle twistes out of your hand. The steel on a Fiskars is soft enough to divot if struck on a rock. I use the tough iron for breaking rounds up, Fiskars for finishing.

View attachment 301294View attachment 301295View attachment 301296View attachment 301297

this has some german markings as you can see in the new pics. and there is an embedded stamp with letters of the crafter. Tried to see if they are made by the same company. Still not happy with it. The leading edge is too thin. It sticks like an axe. I never said it was poor quality or craftsmanship. Just didn't work for me as well as others. But being a Stihl nut. I had to have it. nuff said

Hi KodiakKen! I am interested in the problem you have with using that maul. Hope you do not mind if I ask you a question.

Where is your favorite "sweet spot" to crack open a 20" log with a maul? Lets say you are only given one shot at it!
I made it simple, just answer A,B,C,D,E,F,G or H. You can motivate your answer if you want.
I do not mind if others reply ply too, but then I might should have set up a poll in another thread. :laugh:

View attachment 301316

Hi KodiakKen! I am interested in the problem you have with using that maul. Hope you do not mind if I ask you a question.

Where is your favorite "sweet spot" to crack open a 20" log with a maul? Lets say you are only given one shot at it!
I made it simple, just answer A,B,C,D,E,F,G or H. You can motivate your answer if you want.
I do not mind if others reply ply too, but then I might should have set up a poll in another thread. :laugh:

View attachment 301316

Since you said you don't mind...

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "motivate" an answer, so I'll go the verbose route...

On the first round, I'll almost always take at least one shot somewhere down the middle, depending on the grain and condition. After that, it depends on the results of the first strike, how long I've been at it and generally what's going on in life. There have been times when I've chosen to beat the living heck out of a round, just because it feels good and I needed to prove who was the boss. To me, or the round doesn't really matter I guess...

After that first strike, I most often will get a feel for the best option and go from there. Can't say it's any of the above as it just varies. Now, if I've been swinging at rounds from the same log and have noticed a pattern, I'll go with what has been working 9 out of 10 times with the odd one now and then being just because I am who I'yam...

I guess I'll go with "Z" for the moment.

View attachment 301316

20" diameter?

My answer is H, I go around from the outside on larger rounds.

I am starting to really like slabbing off thin wood with the bark, that piece dries faster (critical for wood that would get bugs in it like hickory or pine)(bugs don't like dry wood)(flat stuff good for the end stacking as well or a rain roof over the other wood), and all the remaining center wood dries faster as well, and bark off makes the rest of the round split easier.

I wondered where you were, your vid inspired me to get the fiskars, along with all the earlier commentary I read here. Had to order it, money well spent.

oh my..I started something now!!

View attachment 301316

one crack..I would get out my hydraulic splitter and go down the middle. I don't have a problem using the maul. the leading edge is not tapered enough and it sticks a lot more than my other mauls. and for the one shot method..If I would only hit a piece of wood one time it would be too big for my stove. Furthermore it is a loaded question. what kind of wood? how green is it? straight grained? oak pine ash or maple I would hit "F" . kinda like asking how big the next fish will be that I catch. every round is different. cracks, grain, knots, where someone drove a spike into it to hang a birdhouse. too many variables for a one hit wonder. I would hit three across the middle. far. close. middle and usually have 2 halves..then work that. not saying my style is like anyone elses and I like to be unique. sometimes I might slab the outside.

one crack..I would get out my hydraulic splitter and go down the middle. I don't have a problem using the maul. the leading edge is not tapered enough and it sticks a lot more than my other mauls. and for the one shot method..If I would only hit a piece of wood one time it would be too big for my stove. Furthermore it is a loaded question. what kind of wood? how green is it? straight grained? oak pine ash or maple I would hit "F" . kinda like asking how big the next fish will be that I catch. every round is different. cracks, grain, knots, where someone drove a spike into it to hang a birdhouse. too many variables for a one hit wonder. I would hit three across the middle. far. close. middle and usually have 2 halves..then work that. not saying my style is like anyone elses and I like to be unique. sometimes I might slab the outside.

I only go straight down the middle with rounds small enough they will go halves or quartered to size. Anything bigger I slab now.

Now GIANT rounds, out in the field, cut a kerf and and then a good whack down the middle, to get to a size to be able to get them into the trailer. But splitting for keepsies, I prefer slabbing wherever possible. And I still slab those large ones once they are split to heftable size.

Back