Best Splitting Maul ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Spidey !!
You right about the Fiskars edge not staying sharp .

IMG_20140524_173842.jpg

I've been driving my X25 in the dirt and rocks all winter and it won't shave worth shyte LOL
Still splits wood though .

I treat my fiskars and my other axes, like I do my chain. I sharpen it regularly. So far I haven't buggered up my fiskars that bad and have been able to keep it factory sharp with just a stone. My other axes get rough up like that, and lose a lot of metal as I have to spend a fair bit of time with a file.

I treat my fiskars and my other axes, like I do my chain. I sharpen it regularly. So far I haven't buggered up my fiskars that bad and have been able to keep it factory sharp with just a stone. My other axes get rough up like that, and lose a lot of metal as I have to spend a fair bit of time with a file.

I use a splitting block with two tiers.

Thank you Woodchuck357. On a few websites it says the x27 is 6.3 - so that must be the total weight of the axe. I cant believe all the good reviews on the x27. I am sceptical. I will have to try it. Should be here in a few days. We only have pine around here. And most of the time I wait till it is seasoned. So the x27 should work in my situation. It has to be better than the rockforge.

My father in law said that he has a few old 8lb maul heads and he would give me one, I just need to get a handle. So that way I will have my x27 axe and a 8lb maul if need. Nice to have at least two. The rockforge axe and maul that I got will both be returned.

The pine I have here, fresh cut green, real hard to split, anything I throw at it just bounces off with a splash....shave the bark off, let it sit until cracked and like half the weight, it splits fantastic with the fiskars. Or better, quarter the rounds first, maul or noodle, then let it sit a bit. Once the pine is the least bit dry it splits like a dream (well, crotches still suck, but that is every tree)

I like my Wetterlings. My Grandsfor's has a nicer look and shape, but the poll is mushrooming. Wetterlings is as tough as the sledge hammer. Not a scratch on her. I don't like having to pamper my maul. I spend as much time filing the poll as the blade edge on the Grandsfors. Yes I beat the crap out of it, but the Wetterling's poll doesn't have a scratch on it!

I would not like being stuck with one tool to hand split wood. Nope. Same with saws, I want more than one.

I have and use 8lb generic maul from TSC I believe, a fiskars original supersplitter (favorite by far), a husky/wetterlings (needs center ridge grinding off and reshaping so it doesn't stick in the wood), and a sledge and steel wedges. I use all of the above, plus noodling on difficult crotches, etc.

<snip>

If I had to pick one, fiskars. But like I said, I use them all.

Right on. Any one who tackles a pile of wood to split with only one tool is nuts. My arsenal is about like yours, X27, 6lb maul, 10lb sledge, two steelwedges, hydraulic splitter.

The splitter only sees the hard to split stuff, knots, crotches, twisty stuff.

X27 is a wonder tool but it is not a miracle and DOES NOT REPLACE A MAUL.

Harry K

I have come to a decision I am taking back the Rockforge junk axe and maul I got and ordering the Fiskars x27 but like you said Zogger I am not going to limit myself to one axe/maul. I am also going to get a second maul later down the road probably a hickory wood handle American made 8lb maul for when I need a little more weight.

Speaking of weight I cant find clear info on the x27s weight. Some sites say 4.5 and others say 6.3 - I hope it is the 6.3 personally. Anyone know did they up the weight of the x27?

Figured going with the Fiskars x27 since that is the only other maul/axe they have available at the store. If they had true temper I may of had to try trading out for that one. Thank you everyone for your help. Hopefully I can get back to splitting here soon.

Pick up a couple "handle savers" - those rubber donuts that fit on your handle. I was going through maul/sledge handles about every 2 years, started using the donuts and haven't replaced a handle in a long time. Even reset the maul handle twice and it is still perfect although it is a bit loose now and due for antoher refit.

Harry K.

I split 15+ cords a year. I built my self a set of Axes with 1 1/4" sch40 pipe for handles.
8lb maul
3 1/2lb axe
10lb sledge
hatchet

I formed the pipe to fit in the heads. welded them on. Filled the handles with spray expanding foam
No vibrations at all. The maul is on its 6th year and the others on 3yrs.

they split like a dream. After wood season you will have some big arms lol

Filled the handles with spray expanding foam

Just an FYI, but if it wasn't a two part chemically curing foam, it never set up. Great Stuff type spray foam will turn into a flat goo if sealed up because the solvent in it has to evaporate. Shoot a little into a Zip Lock baggie and see what it does.

On the maul subject, my preference was a 6lb fiberglass handled maul. I could swing it longer without tiring out. Seemed to do as well as my buddy's 8lb but I really felt that extra 2lb. Bought a 15lb monster maul and it just sat there in the shop holding the floor down. I have the older fiscars X with the 28" handle but unless you're short or have a splitting block it's asking for an axe in the foot. I never bought the longer X version because I moved and stopped burning wood unfortunately.

Ian

Just an FYI, but if it wasn't a two part chemically curing foam, it never set up. Great Stuff type spray foam will turn into a flat goo if sealed up because the solvent in it has to evaporate. Shoot a little into a Zip Lock baggie and see what it does.

On the maul subject, my preference was a 6lb fiberglass handled maul. I could swing it longer without tiring out. Seemed to do as well as my buddy's 8lb but I really felt that extra 2lb. Bought a 15lb monster maul and it just sat there in the shop holding the floor down. I have the older fiscars X with the 28" handle but unless you're short or have a splitting block it's asking for an axe in the foot. I never bought the longer X version because I moved and stopped burning wood unfortunately.

Ian

Pretty funny! That's the fiskars I have and yep, I'm short, double yep, split on a block.

Too bad you can't burn wood for heat, that's the easiest way to at least beat the man on one major bill.

I have basic survival criteria where I will live, must have wood heat for a primary, good garden spot, and two sources of water that are not tied to municipal water.

Well I just got my X-27 yesterday and got to tell ya first impressions it looks like a Toy.
So far went through half a cord of wood like butter before work, I am Impressed.
I am going to take great care not to be over anything but duff and have a decent splitting block with a tire to alleviate wear on the axe.
For what I am splitting = dry pine. I think this splitting axe will do, just so easy compared to the maul I had, now granted the maul i had was junk.
I still will hook up the old maul head I got from my father in law and just have two. Better to have allot of axes and mauls.
But I plan on using the x-27 allot, it has a lifetime warranty after all.

Thank you guys for your help, splitting just got easier and more enjoyable :)

I like my Wetterlings. My Grandsfor's has a nicer look and shape, but the poll is mushrooming. Wetterlings is as tough as the sledge hammer. Not a scratch on her. I don't like having to pamper my maul. I spend as much time filing the poll as the blade edge on the Grandsfors. Yes I beat the crap out of it, but the Wetterling's poll doesn't have a scratch on it!
I just bought one on your recommendation. I do like it. I got it from a place in Southern Virginia for $127 delivered. I had a $20 off coupon. I found everything you said to be my experience. I have owned a Gransfors for a couple of years now.

Wetterlings01.JPG

I just bought one on your recommendation. I do like it. I got it from a place in Southern Virginia for $127 delivered. I had a $20 off coupon. I found everything you said to be my experience. I have owned a Gransfors for a couple of years now.

View attachment 357948

The 5.5 lb maul branded for Husqarna sells for ~1/2 of that, a bit north of me. I know, but still like my Wetterlings a lot. And a 6.6 lb Mueller. Both have really excellent metallurgy. Last I saw, best price going on Gransfors maul was around $190, notably more than the $155 my Mueller cost.

A big problem in these discussions is that "maul" to some means a crude iron bludgeon on a handle, and to others means an efficient wood-splitting tool. The latter cost more, and are not to be found in your local big box nor corner hardware store.

Anybody tried Council Tools' (NC) maul yet? Might be a good candidate.

Back